My dog and his paw problem!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He's a three year old pit.Every now and then I notice him licking his paws like crazy!When he's doing this they are either tore up or getting there.He licks/naws at them and the skin comes off.It looks like what a blister would look like when the skin comes off.Sometimes he limps because of it.He goes crazy with it though.He will be going at them for hours sometimes.Leaving wet spots on the carpet in a circle pattern cause he goes at it and start to get spun around.(when it's the back paws)He will also get teritorial with them.He's not so bad anymore cause I get on to him and do what i'm going to do anyways.Kind of letting him know that he's a dog and i'm a man that owns him and will do what I want,so to speak.He nipped at me today when i tried to pull him away to look at them.He's going at them right now!!!What is this?Someone told me it's like a rash from being on the carpet then going outside and getting tore up.He used the rash as to explain why he keeps at them.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He whines sometimes while he's nawing at them too.He's a fvcking retard.Sometimes I'll hear him chomping away,then he'll start whinning while he's still chomping.He even speeds up sometimes!!!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure but you could try some of the ointment that they put on sled dogs pads.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
one of my mom's dogs licks his paws nonstop(not literally, but a lot). the vet told her that it's likely some sort of allergy that causes it, and it's no big deal. I warn you though, her dog is far from a pit, lol

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
most likely allergies. but are his claws long? sometimes dogs dont like them long and theyll just knaw at their feet

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
most likely allergies. but are his claws long? sometimes dogs dont like them long and theyll just knaw at their feet
No.They get "grinded" down by the concrete at my apartments.He's very energetic!!!Usually the part that gets tore up is the bottom of his pads.Sometimes between his "toes" and once on top of one of his paw got rubbed raw.It goes away sometimes.Next thing I know he's licking/nawing at them again.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
You may check the local pet store for some ointment or spray you can put on his feet that is bitter/nasty tasting to him. This isnt that uncommon of an issue. I know there is a product like that out there, where though, i dunno

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
It's because their itchy. He started chewing them because of allergens (food or otherwise) or irritations that causes him to itch, and now it's habitual. The itching agent may not even be there anymore, but the constant biting and attention he's giving them is causing them to itch still.

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/contents/content.asp?id=150&cat=dogs
Allergies are commonly overlooked with pets

My dog is on a homemade diet... yep.. my dog eats better than half the people in this country.
After reading a few articles about what "Crude Protein and Crude Fat" really are... there was no way I would suggest that ANY living being eats this ****. Its disgusting and no wonder that dogs are plagued with cancers and other health issues that werent issues generations ago.

My gf and I make 'doggy meatballs"... we make a huge batch of them and freeze them until we need them. Takes about 2 hours a month.
Theres some good recipes out there. plus there are websites that list common allergies for the breed of dog you have.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys!!!Here lately he has started scratching his ears more often too.Is this the same thing?It's not fleas.I have actually never noticed a flea on him.Like I said he's three(april 30,same as oldest sisters b-day)And I have had him since he was 9 weeks old,so he thankfully doesn't have flea problems.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys!!!Here lately he has started scratching his ears more often too.Is this the same thing?It's not fleas.I have actually never noticed a flea on him.Like I said he's three(april 30,same as oldest sisters b-day)And I have had him since he was 9 weeks old,so he thankfully doesn't have flea problems.
Yea man...id say allergies

my dog has watery eyes... i can tell hes allergic to one of the ingredients in his food quickly because his eyes will usually start to tear more (it leaves a residue on the hair under his eyes that has tp be cleaned)

but when he's really allergic to something.. he'll go ape-**** biting his ass and scratching

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have to clean his eye boogers in the morning and sometimes later in the day.He's been eating the same food all his life.The seller told me what he fed him when I bought him.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
I have to clean his eye boogers in the morning and sometimes later in the day.He's been eating the same food all his life.The seller told me what he fed him when I bought him.
doesnt mean hes not allergic to it!

For instance....
I JUST formed an allergy to my laundry detergent! After using the same brand and same product for the last few years... all of a sudden I start to break out in my armpits when i sweat. Now I haev to wash all of the clothes I own again in an allergy safe cleaner and hope that solves it. Allergies can form at anytime to any chemical / substance.
I took penicillin several times in my life... then once when i was 20.. i suddenly became allergic to it.. hives all over.

You never know either... Crude proteins and fats can be from several sources.. they are not controlled... for all you know, the pet food company recently changed from beef brain to pigs feet and hes allergic to the new ingredient. all they have to put on the label is 'crude protein'
A lot of food companies buy their bulks from the same few companies... mostly major food companies who have bi-product which would other wise go to waste because its not legal for human consumption.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Allergies are commonly overlooked with pets

My dog is on a homemade diet... yep.. my dog eats better than half the people in this country.
After reading a few articles about what "Crude Protein and Crude Fat" really are... there was no way I would suggest that ANY living being eats this ****. Its disgusting and no wonder that dogs are plagued with cancers and other health issues that werent issues generations ago.

My gf and I make 'doggy meatballs"... we make a huge batch of them and freeze them until we need them. Takes about 2 hours a month.
Theres some good recipes out there. plus there are websites that list common allergies for the breed of dog you have.
this is really good info palo, do you have a link to the recipe for what you make or anything? i'm looking to get a dog this summer

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established
this is really good info palo, do you have a link to the recipe for what you make or anything? i'm looking to get a dog this summer
Ill see if I can find it..
I think we do something like 40% protein, 30% veggies, and 30% oats/pasta/grain

my dog is 16lbs (well hes at 19lbs recently bc hes a fat ass) and he gets 1 meatball with breakfast + 1/8 cup of regular crappy
kibble (good for their teeth and havent learned to make kibble yet).. he gets a repeat of this for dinner

when making the meatballs, we take about 1/3 cup of meatball mix... roll it.. then bake it.

the cool part to this is that dogs have sensitive stomachs.. but since they are eating real food.. you can switch the foods around and it doesnt seem to bother him... so for like 1 month it will be beef + oats + veggies... then next month ill do liver and chicken + pasta + veggies...

my gf usually makes the food... so ill double check this all with her and post up later about it

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
doesnt mean hes not allergic to it!

For instance....
I JUST formed an allergy to my laundry detergent! After using the same brand and same product for the last few years... all of a sudden I start to break out in my armpits when i sweat. Now I haev to wash all of the clothes I own again in an allergy safe cleaner and hope that solves it. Allergies can form at anytime to any chemical / substance.
I took penicillin several times in my life... then once when i was 20.. i suddenly became allergic to it.. hives all over.
You never know either... Crude proteins and fats can be from several sources.. they are not controlled... for all you know, the pet food company recently changed from beef brain to pigs feet and hes allergic to the new ingredient. all they have to put on the label is 'crude protein'
A lot of food companies buy their bulks from the same few companies... mostly major food companies who have bi-product which would other wise go to waste because its not legal for human consumption.
This is a very good point dave. Many people don't realize that you can sensitize to an allergen over time and then one day......BAM....it kicks into an all our allergic reaction.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
It is more than likely an allergic reaction to a certain type of grass/plant that he is stepping on. Probably not a food reaction. The pads on a dogs feet are very sensitive. My dog has the same problem.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Changes in the weather pattern can cause drying out of the skin that causes a pruritis(itching)that causes the dog to bite at his/her paws like that also.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It is more than likely an allergic reaction to a certain type of grass/plant that he is stepping on. Probably not a food reaction. The pads on a dogs feet are very sensitive. My dog has the same problem.
Do you do anything for it?Or you just let it do what it does?It usually goes away after a while,but it's hanging around this time.He nipped at me again last night,but I was being a jerk and messing with him.He started growling and I was like i'm going to touch your paw if I want.Then his nose would wrinkle up when I got close and I kept doing it cause I thought it was funny.Then the growl and fake bite came.I got his message though.It's clear he doesn't like me messing with it while he's going crazy and trying to eat it.I hear him licking on them right now in my bedroom.Prob leaving a big wet spot on the bed.Tghats nothing compared to the 5 runny shits he left on my carpet last night.I even stepped on one going to the fridge for my middle of the night protien shake!He's gotten sick obvisouly.I was so happy yesterday cause he puked outside for the first time ever!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would get him to the vet then, with the addition of the puking and runs. Pits are very succeptible to parvo even with the vaccine. Better to be safe then sorry. They can also get you a cream for his paw..and where are the puppy pics in this thread!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would get him to the vet then, with the addition of the puking and runs. Pits are very succeptible to parvo even with the vaccine. Better to be safe then sorry. They can also get you a cream for his paw..and where are the puppy pics in this thread!
I'll see how it goes.Usually when he's sick it goes away quickly.I have pics of mine,but I have no way to load them onto the computer.They're poor quality phone pics too.But he's absolutely beutifull.I have people stop and and talk to me about him all the time when i'm walking him.I had a girl yell out her car as she was driving down the road "I love your dog!"He's brown and white.With the brown puzzle/mask face.Basically brown around his eyes and ears like a mask then white on his nose,on top of his head and his chest and feet are white.I seen pics on the internet and told the guy to bring him to me.He had a couple all white males,but he just jumped out at me.His markings are perfect.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to post pics pf others,but it wont let me!When it says enter url of image,thats what it says under the pic in my pictures right?