Need help and advice

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Well Ive been dealing with a suspected herniated disc in my lower back for the past month and started physical therapy a week ago and got my MRI results back today and it came back worse than expected. Turns out the severity was pretty bad (a L2 or L3 rupture to the right side putting pressure on the S1 nerve, with minor bulging on the two discs above.)

Now normally I would keep this to myself but I have alot on my mind regarding longevity of the issue, how long Im looking at recovery, and to be honest when I will be able to get back to pre injury and do everything I want to in the gym. I was just hoping and members that have knowledge on the issue could help me out or have gone through it.

Im about to start an epidural treatment of steroids into the disc to help heal it. Anyone ever go through this? I was researching effectivness and came across random trials with around a 60% success rate but dont know how to take this, because if this fails for me Im looking at a disc removal and to be honest that scares the hell out of me (when the doctor told me I instantly became light headed and actually had to lie down...) I dont even want to talk about that happeneing becausing Im praying this heals it without surgical intervention, but has anyone ever experienced that?

On another side note is there anything anyone can offer as far as supplements to aid in healing? I am going to up my vitamin c intake to double what it was because I was reading that it aids in cartillage healing. Are there any supplements my doctor may not reccomend that would be safe to help with recovery?

To be honest I would just deal with this like a man and go through the neccessary rehab and get back in the gym when I could but training time is very vital to me right now and in the upcomming months. I hope to be meeting with some college football coaches (namely Fordham which is D-1 AA) in a few months to see if they could give me a chance to get in and walk on to the team, and to have any chance I know I need to be in top physcial condition (I was dead set on getting my squat up to 425+, bench 350+, deadlift at 405+, and a 40 around 4.6~ all for tight end or defensive end aspirations and getting my weight up to around 240.) All are high goals but with the determination I have to fullfill this dream I know I could achieve this, but now this is happening. Basiclly do I have a shot of recovering from this injury and get back to legitamite weight training by mid August? Im not about to give up on this goal and will fight with everything I can but I've never faced an injury of this severity and need to know if it is going to be a limiting factor in this quest?

Sorry for the long post but really wanted to get this all out and seek help form any individual(s) that can offer advice. Also it felt like I had to get this off my chest in a way because theres no one that can sympathize with my goals and the pain this gives as far as no training at a peak time.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I herniated my L4-5 several years ago. Mine is pretty much 100% and I didn't have to have surgery. The physical therapist and chiropractor I had are both Gods. The two of them got me back up in less than two months. No real problems sense as long as I take care of it and don't do anything stupid. My deads are probably 200 lbs heavier than when I did it.

I was taking tons of Advil and using DMSO mixed with aspirin several times per day to keep the swelling down. This was before IGF-1 was available. GH was around but I didn't know anything about it for healing and didn't have the money anyway.

You might want to post this in the IGF-1/GH/Insulin section also. Grunt and a few others will be able to give you some great advice about peptides to help with healing.

Good luck!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help Crunch, I will put something up in the IGF form to see what they have to say. Also was it 8 weeks before you were able to do anything at all, or was it 8 weeks before went back to heavy pre injury lifting? At this point I cant do anything active (no running, tennis, football, basketball, even jogging, and of course most paining lifting/speed training.)

Yea as soon as Im healthy enough Im going to be insanly careful (belt on everything over 225 in the beggining and seperate specfic core/ab/stablizer training)

Im going to leave this up here too incase anyone else comes across it that doesnt check the IGF form and I appreciate your help and insight from first hand experience.

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
I think it was around week six and I was back to deadlifting 135. Funny thing is, it felt very heavy. If remember correctly (was a few years ago), I was back to my pre-injury deads by about 10 weeks, as well as the other lifts.

It was my chiro that told me about DMSO and aspirin and I really think that played a big part in keeping the swelling down and healing.