dislocated shoulder advice for training

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
my girl friend dislocated her shoulder plaing soccer and needs surgery and will be out for 9 months any like work out stuff she will be able to do just to help stay in shape she is un able to run for the next 2 months and cant do like any upper body stuff anyadvice or excersises she could do just to help burn calories ...any help would be apprciated

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my girl friend dislocated her shoulder plaing soccer and needs surgery and will be out for 9 months any like work out stuff she will be able to do just to help stay in shape she is un able to run for the next 2 months and cant do like any upper body stuff anyadvice or excersises she could do just to help burn calories ...any help would be apprciated
She should really focus on rehabilitation once her surgery is done. Her rehabilitation programme should cover EVERYthing she needs and has to do, from range of motion to proprioception to flexibility to resistance to cardio training, progressing through phases I to IV, where she should be at 100% again.

If she wants to do something in the meantime, get her doing cardio - cycling (stationary bike, elliptical, stepper, pool walking, etc.). She can do lower body bodyweight exercises and plyometrics. There's heaps she can do. Think outside the box, and use common sense.

And if she's so concerned about calories, get her to ADJUST HER CALORIC INTAKE accordingly for her new activity level - since her Maintenance will decrease due to a decrease in activity.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
the anterior dislocation of the humeral head in the glenoid fossa can indeed cause internal damage, to include torn joint capsule, torn cartilage, and various tendinous disruptions. chronic shoulder instability is terrible to live with and causes early arthritic changes. if she's had the correct evaluation by an orthopedist and needs surgery, that really is the best way. as for ANYthing related to upper body activity post-op, you really need to listen to the orthopedist and pyhsical therapist.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
yea i know that ive disolcated both my shoulders and they are all messed up cu i did it when i was 15 one in football and one wrestling and i have to were braces and stuff now and my shoulder pops out almost every football game and i am 17 and getting recruted to play in collage so i need surgery on both but cant untill iam done playing so it sucks i know all the rehab stuff she has to do

smark

Awards
Shoulder Flexion and Abduction: Sit in a chair or stand in an upright position. Now, hold or support your affected arm by placing the palm of unaffected arm below the elbow of the affected arm. Then gently move in forward direction and move your arms to and fro. This is shoulder flexion exercise for dislocated shoulder. To perform shoulder abduction, position your hands as in shoulder flexion, but move them from one side to other.

Pendulum Swings: Lean on a table by placing the palm of the unaffected arm on its surface. Bring a small bend in the knee of the unaffected side and straighten the leg of the affected side. Now, place the affected arm over unaffected thigh and swing it gently in clockwise direction to possible extent. Repeat this for 10 times and perform anticlockwise swings.