Help determine my calories

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to be bulking soon. Probably October-march unless I get too fat and need a quick cut.

Until November I will be working out 3-4 days, substantial intensity, for about an hour, maybe hour and a quarter. I will also be having rugby practice/match 4 days a week at about 2 hours each. These practices consist of basically just running or constant motion.

After November it will be just the Working out, no rugby.

I'll be using the anabolic diet so I am hoping I can stave off fat gain and stay around 10% body fat.

At the beginning of this bulk I will probably be around 200 pounds, carb depleted.

I am seriously considering 5000 calories.

Your thoughts?

(experts only, please)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm going to be bulking soon. Probably October-march unless I get too fat and need a quick cut.

Until November I will be working out 3-4 days, substantial intensity, for about an hour, maybe hour and a quarter. I will also be having rugby practice/match 4 days a week at about 2 hours each. These practices consist of basically just running or constant motion.

After November it will be just the Working out, no rugby.

I'll be using the anabolic diet so I am hoping I can stave off fat gain and stay around 10% body fat.

At the beginning of this bulk I will probably be around 200 pounds, carb depleted.

I am seriously considering 5000 calories.

Your thoughts?

(experts only, please)
I've attached a method/calculation that you can use to determine your Maintenance calories (1 kj = 4.2 kcal), Rugger. Add ~500 to that, to take into account 'bulking' and you should be sweet. You can adjust your calories on a weekly basis, going on your results. Hope it helps you out :)

Attachments

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I gave that a shot and it put me at 3412. That seems a bit low considering my pretty intense activity level (3 intense hours 4 days a week). Seems like that would be a good amount if I was simply lifting weights.

Bump for more opinions

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I gave that a shot and it put me at 3412. That seems a bit low considering my pretty intense activity level (3 intense hours 4 days a week). Seems like that would be a good amount if I was simply lifting weights.

Bump for more opinions
Remember that it is an estimate, to be used as a reference, not to be taken as the be all and end all. Look at around 4000+ cal/day (maybe even HIGHER, considering) then, Rugger (remember that 'Bulking' is ANYTHING ABOVE 'Maintenance'). I know that when I was cycling, and training for 30+ hours a week (cycling alone, resistance training NOT included), I was eating 8000+ cal/day and staying LEAN. You just need to experiement with different amounts of calories, to find YOUR right level.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, good advice. I'm going to start at 4000-4500 and work my way up.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
How has your energy levels been on the AD diet?
For bulking I would start at 3500 ED and then on lifting days throw an extra 250-500 in after you get use to the 3500. I know personally anytime I go even moderately low carbs I don't gain weight no matter how much p+f I eat (unless its ridiculous like 2 jars of peanutbutter a day type S^^^) so it might take some playing around to see how you respond. If I were you in Novemeber I would concentrate on getting the calories right and the training set, then in December run the fun stuff, January run PCT, Feb and March maintain weight and go for peak strength and then April on cut down if you want. I think maintaing for a couple months or just gaining slower will help you retain some of that newly built muscle. If your like me (I am the same height) 225 is going to start to feel a little sluggish for you when you get there, even more so if your all bloated up.....

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Good advice Paul, but you know I can't wait until December!!! LOL. Besides, I need to be able to drink in January (J-term). That's good advice on the calories, though. I'm definitely not going to start right off at 4500 or anything.

As far as A/D, my energy is great. I don't have any problems with that. I haven't actually ever tried to add LBM while on the A/D so it will be interesting to say the least. I just want to focus on staying relatively lean (10-11) while adding mass so I'm hoping the A/D will help me with that, as authors of A/D programs claim it will.