Youth Wrestling Training Program

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
My son is 7 and in his first year of wrestling. He really wants to start training to be stronger and more explosive for wrestling. I am struggling with what I should and should not have him do at his age

here is what I came up from reading multiple websites . .Appreciate any ideas

He will only progress to #2 and so on when #1 can be completed with good form.

Bench Press Progression
1. Kneeling push ups x 20
2. Regular push ups x 15
3. Resisted push ups x 15

Squat Progression
1. Body weight box squat x 15
2. Body weight squat x 15
3. Wall squat x 15

Pull Up
1. Band or Cable Pull Downs
2. Supine Rows x 12
3. Assisted Pull Ups
4. Pull Ups

He also asked for a weighted vest as he thinks having the extra weight on him while working out and walking around would help him when the wieght of another kids is on him. Thoughts on this ? I'm thinking hes to young for a vest

AlexErdellan

AlexErdellan

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a scientist or doctor so I won't recommend anything using weights. I think bodyweight exercises would be good though, the program you have looks good for a 7 year old.

I mostly came in this thread to commend you on helping him wrestle at a young age, a lot of parents these days are so overprotective they won't let their kids do anything and the kids end up being fat videogame addicts. Hell, it happened to me lol.

With such an early start your son will have years to hone his skills and become stronger, I wish him luck in his journey, hopefully he becomes a champion and wins lots of tournaments.

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
Thanks ! He really likes it and I agree its much better to get them involed in sports then sit in the house snacking and playing video games. He plays his share of xbox but he loves sports as well

Wreslting is a huge commitment but seeing him so driven is nice and is great building blocks for his future

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks ! He really likes it and I agree its much better to get them involed in sports then sit in the house snacking and playing video games. He plays his share of xbox but he loves sports as well

Wreslting is a huge commitment but seeing him so driven is nice and is great building blocks for his future
Sound like awesome dedication and focus for such a young kid.. I wouldnt suggest any kind of resistance training.. The program yu got him doing looks good. Wrestling isnt really a sport of strength though but it might be good supplementary work idk. Its almost completely technical..ex i wrestling 285 weighing in at 230 and did exceptionally well at this weight class being the "weaker" guy.. Have him drill like crazy comes down to muscle memory. Hell become very explosive drilling a double leg take down 100's of times daily

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
You sir are an awesome parent and your son sounds like a bad ass little dude! Reading this I leaned over to my girl and said, this will our kid one day! Keep up the good work.

As far as your program goes it looks great but there is so much more you could incorporate. I actually have a lot of experience training youth athletes and was a wrestler myself, one group as young as 6 and then up to 18-19, if you would like ill write something up and send it over to you. At that age it's all about developing his nervous system, proprioceptive mechanisms, strength and stability through his ROM, maintaining and increasing his mobility/ROM, engraining proper movement patterns as well as posture. He will give you a big thanks in a few years when he is moving like a well oiled machine with strength, power and stability and his peers are still stuck awkwardly learning their bodies especially during the growth spurts.

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
Thanks it's nice to have some positive feedback. A lot of parents think I'm crazy for letting him and my wife is still on the fence. She was happy to see the bond and friendships from wrestling just after 3 weeks and the stress of family from the coaches.

Nyiron if you could put something together I would greatly appreciate it man

Thanks again

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Thanks it's nice to have some positive feedback. A lot of parents think I'm crazy for letting him and my wife is still on the fence. She was happy to see the bond and friendships from wrestling just after 3 weeks and the stress of family from the coaches.

Nyiron if you could put something together I would greatly appreciate it man

Thanks again
Your PM box is full

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Sorry about that I just cleaned it up
Sent, its very general and rather then a program its a manner for you to program I've always been a strong believer "in teach a man to fish" but if you have any sort of specific questions in application I will be more than happy to help you along the way. Good luck!