Yet another 5-3-1 by Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
As usual sean u are very direct with thoughts and opinions

I'll just continue with the farmers walks and try to squeeze the bar harder was going to throw so plate pinchs in there somewhere too

Ty

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't worry how 225 feels in your hands with a double over grip. Worry what 405 feels like over/under.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thats my problem I think and worry too much thanks

It will get better with time

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I pull EVERY SET over under. And EVERY SET is right hand under, left hand over. Even 135. Specific Adaptations to Imposed Demands. I don't give a damn what my pull is left under or double over. Then, after I was able to pull 500 any time I wanted, I goofed around with double over and got 405 pretty easily. Get everything strong, then you'll be stronger in weird variations.

Brandon Lilly talked about getting into a curl contest at Iron Mafia after not doing curls for years. He curled 185. He got strong everywhere, then when he went back to something else, his everywhere strength was displayed.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
That is a great story thanks herder

I guess I was think over under was taking away from grip strength and if my double over was strong it would help over under guess I never figured it works both ways

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I forget who said it, but strong is strong.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
In the gym atm just finished standing OHP for the first time and I just wanted to thank u guys quick for showing me the light update later

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Music choice of the workout

Watch "ELUVEITIE - Havoc (OFFICIAL VIDEO)" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNKVpo6AVw8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2/8/14
Cycle 5 new
OHP test

Current weight at 8 am was 215

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - Alpha amino + compete

7 mins Arc-trainer
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Ankle mobility

Light side raises + Rotator cuff exercises
10×2×10

Standing OHP (setsxreps)
Warmup
Bar×10 65×6 85×5 95×3
Working sets
115×8 125×3×3 135×1

Assisted pullups
70# off BW 10,10,8,8,7

Facepulls
80×4×15

Seated close grip cable rows
130×3×10 160×3×3

Jm press ss with DB flys
Bar×10 135×2×8 155×5 175×3×3 185×2×1
Flys
35×5×10

Overhead cable tricep extensions ss with pushdowns
50×3×10 For both

Ab bench
30#added 3×20

Lying leg raises
3×10

Kneeling cable crunchs
150×3×15

Side bends
90×2×20

Notes
OHP was great, a little bit of shake but got better the more I did it and learned how to stay tight shoulders are more sore now then when I was doing more sets with seated. this is going to be a great addition to my routine I can tell already

Thats about it everything else is my typical crap

Thats it thanks for reading. Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So I calculated my 1rm for press based off the 115 and it gave me 145 which is pretty crapy but I don't really care it will go up just like my other lifts

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol 145 aint bad. I never got past 175/185ish area til my back/shoulder wanted no more. I should probably try to work them back in some day, but I still have a little tweak back there so...

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So what nobody liked my celtic metal choice or what?lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
The Saturday night of a family man out to dinner then to the grocery store Woot good times

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds better than working and studying... lol. Enjoy your night bro.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I watched "Dallas Buyer's Club". Solid, solid flick.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I just thought it was cool how It made the overhead work point just like u said

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Well got some good news took a welder call for BP/Husky so I go back to work tomorrow after a month off the down side is it 4-6 days a week 10 hr days outside so not going to have a life between work and training.
The wife is going to be pissed still doesn't understand my obsession with lifting after a year thinks I should go down to 2/3 days screw that

A quick word on training going to keep calories at 3200 right now. with the fruits and such and not eating stuff carb dense like rice and oats It's hard for me to eat more then that without feeling like I ate a Thanksgiving dinner all day

Another thing is I'm going to try to video at least one set from each of my sessions this week to get your guys opinion and make sure I'm not hafe assing it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm looking forward to the videos.

2-3x a week is manageable if it comes down to it. Wendler has tons of templates for just that.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
WALKING DEAD in 10 mins can't wait

That is all

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty crappy episode IMO I was expecting more.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Yea I agree nothing really much happened next week looks good thou

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
2-10-14
C 6
5's W

Current weight at 4:45 am was 216

Preworkout - uncut

5 mins Arc-trainer
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Ankle mobility
Olympic bar stretch

Squats 5's (SETSXREPS)
warmup
135×5 155×5 185×5
Working sets
195×5 225×5 265×6 225×5
Paused sets
195×5×3

225 Vid
Watch "225x5" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRDbOI8fW0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Front squat
165×4×3 175×3

Hypertension
BW+45# 5×10

AB bench
30# added 3×20

Leg raises

Ab machine
130×3×10

Side bends
100×1×10 110×1×10

No conditioning

Notes
Hips an lower back were really tight all weekend and all throughout today so I wasn't sure how this was going to go, but the pain went away and was able to put in a good session

As promised there is a Vid. Enjoy

Long 10hr day in safety training sitting all day then drove home ate quick dinner/Preworkout and drove to the gym didn't get home till 9 going have to Pre pack for the gym starting next week

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crap angle but I won't complain because it's a video of you squatting!

Get yourself under the bar more when you unrack, and drop the J-Cups down one hole.

Kinda hard to see what your butt & lower back are doing in the hole but it seemed fine.

No question about depth

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
gym was busy/crowded tonight I'll get a better one next week

So lower the bar u say?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hard to tell. Almost seems like it's at neck level? If that's the case, then yes. If anything, just get under the bar more.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I concur with Sean. Also, were you pausing those 225s? Looked like you hung out in the hole, for which I give you props. If you're not pausing, as soon as you hit bottom, BLOW. IT. UP. Technique looked very sound other than arching the bar out of the rack.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
No I wish they were intentional pauses but I lack pop/speed out of the hole all my sets even the 265x5 were that speed something I've been trying to mentally focus on...

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
2-11-14
C 6
5's W

Current weight at 4:45 am was 215

Preworkout - uncut

5 mins Arc-trainer
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Ankle mobility

Bench 5's (setsxreps)
Warmup
Bar×10 85×5 115×5 135×3
Working sets
145×5 165×5 185×7 165×5
Lilly press with slight pause
145×3×5

Bench vid
Watch "165x5" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9H2eW6-ow&feature=youtube_gdata_player

DB Incline press
70×9 65×9,7,7,6

Iso-lat pull-down
70×15 100×3×3 120×1

Incline reverse close grip bench
135×2×5 155×3×2

Skullcruchers ss with DB flys
50×20,15,15
35×3×10 flys

DBcurls
35×12 45×10

Notes
Bench went much better I know I should have taken off the sweet shirt sorry tried to squeeze the bar harder I always forget to do that

Was Stretching my shoulder (pulling it forward) and felt something pull a bit so had so mild discomfort while pressing nothing serious I think

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man I like that bench. If I have one critique it would be to try and get a *bit* more arch and really get up on your traps.

However, I like the bar path, looks like you kept your elbows in and you stayed nice & tight with air in your belly.

I think that was a very good set, leaps & bounds better than your last vid. Good job.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I agree w Swanson, liked the bar path and where you touched. I'd like to see you more under the bar. A straight line down from the bar would have hit you in the top of your head. I'd like to see your eyes/nose under the bar. I have the opposite problem: I'm so far under the bar the guys spotting me always tell me to make sure I don't hit the j hooks.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^^ Good point, I missed that. Set up looking straight at the bar (from underneath) then when your unrack just shift the weight down like you did.

You waste energy and get loose moving the bar down to your pressing path.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Either way, you're progressing very well. Excellent work buddy. I like to see people learn & then execute like you do.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just to piggy back, maybe try setting up the traps before the feet to get the position these guys are talking about...or just try it once to see the feel in the upper body.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks guys felt a lot better then last week

Last week I did try putting my feet up on the bench and setting the traps first but seemed like the bench is short or something cause I would slide down and my feet would come off but I'll try it again

Been rolling the crap out of my back trying to get it to arch better think it's helping

Things to remember squeeze hard as hell and pull bar apart

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Legs are killing me today all sorts of tight probably a mixture of the cold and climbing around 20' off the ground in a pipe rack you know your working when u start to sweat and it -16 degrees out lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Was supposed to deadlift tonight but my legs are still sore so I stayed home and had a med pizza instead not sure it was a good choice but o well

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
2-14-14
C 6
5's W

Current weight at 930 am was 216

Preworkout - uncut

7 mins Arc-trainer
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Ankle mobility

Deadlift 5's (setsxreps)
Warmup 1" deficit
145×5 185×5 215×2×3
Working sets
235×5 275×5 275×5 (sumo) 305×5
Called it on deads after 5 hip started giving me trouble at rep 3 but wanted to finish probably should not have pain is mainly hip/tailbone area

Watch "Deadlift 275x5" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvAM6PkQ4oI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Leg extensions
130×5×10

Leg curls
170×3×15

Sumo deadlift
185×3×3 195×2×3

Notes
Hip pain is entirely my fault hip/back has been sore for 2 days and I haven't really addressed it like I should have next I believe I was yanking the bar up on the last set not letting it settle plus I didn't put clips on it plates may be jumping around a lot

Video is up first thing is see is some back rounding need to address that

After leg curls and extension I felt a bit better hence the sumo pulls

Right now I'm heating and rolling the **** out of those areas that hurt all I can do for now hope it doesn't interfere with OHP tomorrow

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok where are my DL critics at?
I know it's hard, but when you get tight, pull yourself into position with the bar. For example, when I have just 135 or so on the bar, the bar is off the ground before the pull because I pull my hips into position using the bar to get leverage. It's something I had trouble with until I got a lesson, but I'll do my best to explain and help.

Secondly, watch this and do this to get the feel to have your back in the correct position
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GuuYs1WW4fA

Hope that helps!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Good speed on that. Basically the same thing I'm working on - get an arch/flatten that back out. looks rounded. Country mentioned to arch as you'll flatten out with weight

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I know it's hard, but when you get tight, pull yourself into position with the bar. For example, when I have just 135 or so on the bar, the bar is off the ground before the pull because I pull my hips into position using the bar to get leverage. It's something I had trouble with until I got a lesson, but I'll do my best to explain and help.

Secondly, watch this and do this to get the feel to have your back in the correct position
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GuuYs1WW4fA

Hope that helps!
This guy's on point fo sho