Unanswered Workout first thing in the mornings

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys

I've started training first thing in the mornings, changing from working out a night. I always trained after work, so meal timing and everything was pretty much sorted out.

I've been playing around taking some whey preworkout now, probably 30minutes or so before starting my workout. I started doing it because i felt kind of weird/light headed if i didn't. I'll also take bcaa's and carbs as an intra workout. The only problem is, when i take whey before my workout, pre workouts don't seem to do much for me. For example this morning i didn't take protein and just took a pwo (keeping the intra) and i felt like i was on rails and couldn't stop working out. I don't take pwo's every workout, i try and limit it to 1 workout a week, 2 max, so should i just stop drinking protein on those days i take pwo, i'm just scared of losing muscle training fasted, or will the bcaa's have me sorted? is there any benefit in even taking protein 30 minutes or less before a workout?

I'm not trying to lose weight(i've done enough of that already), i'm currently just trying to gradually add muscle (playing around with calories based on my weight and how i look) while still doing cardio after every workout (15-20 minutes of either jogging or incline walking).

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I train fasted in the AM with just a BCAA, a caffeine pill and Y-HCL. If your meal throughout the day is sorted with enough protein, you should be good. A protein supplement may not be needed.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You’ll be fine training fasted if that’s your worry especially if you are taking in BCAA and CHO during your training.

The whey in that case would be optional, keep it in if it makes you feel better but you should need it. Make sure the rest of the your daily macros are covered and you’d be square.

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I train fasted in the AM with just a BCAA, a caffeine pill and Y-HCL. If your meal throughout the day is sorted with enough protein, you should be good. A protein supplement may not be needed.
Thanks man, one thing i was considering, was just making a protein pudding/snack before bed (whey with pb or cottage cheese) and that might combat feeling hungry upon waking up

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You’ll be fine training fasted if that’s your worry especially if you are taking in BCAA and CHO during your training.

The whey in that case would be optional, keep it in if it makes you feel better but you should need it. Make sure the rest of the your daily macros are covered and you’d be square.
Thanks a lot bro

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks man, one thing i was considering, was just making a protein pudding/snack before bed (whey with pb or cottage cheese) and that might combat feeling hungry upon waking up
It will easily get digested. I used to take a scoop of casein with milk in the night and would still feel hungry in the AM. But, I take my BCAA/EAAs and it’s all good for me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you want the minimum change then take your pre workout 10-15 minutes before the shake. Let it start to kick in then as you walk out the door take your single scoop of whey. However it won't hurt to train fasted either. If taking BCAA's you could switch to an EEA solution instead and then you will have everything you need to stimulate protein synthesis without enough food mass to slow the absorption of the pre workout ingredients. However like I mentioned if you just want to take your pre workout 30 minutes before training and then drink your protein 15 minutes prior it will be getting into the bloodstream before you finish your warm up.

Lots of options to get that working better for you. Simplest would be take the pre before the protein... the pre shouldn't wear out from being taken 15 minutes earier than you are used to. It has never been an issue for me. I do mine this way if haven't eaten and don't want to train fasted. It is the best way I found to do so and still get the kick from the pre-workout.

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you want the minimum change then take your pre workout 10-15 minutes before the shake. Let it start to kick in then as you walk out the door take your single scoop of whey. However it won't hurt to train fasted either. If taking BCAA's you could switch to an EEA solution instead and then you will have everything you need to stimulate protein synthesis without enough food mass to slow the absorption of the pre workout ingredients. However like I mentioned if you just want to take your pre workout 30 minutes before training and then drink your protein 15 minutes prior it will be getting into the bloodstream before you finish your warm up.

Lots of options to get that working better for you. Simplest would be take the pre before the protein... the pre shouldn't wear out from being taken 15 minutes earier than you are used to. It has never been an issue for me. I do mine this way if haven't eaten and don't want to train fasted. It is the best way I found to do so and still get the kick from the pre-workout.
Thanks a lot for the response man

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I train fasted in the morning. You won't lose muscle or strength by going in completely fasted. I am gaining lean mass and strength doing morning fasted workouts, I do use pre workout and salt, no intra, no bcaas, no carbs. Have a great workout. Consume protein afterwards.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Training fasted is my preference. I usually have some baca/eaa’s And about 1/4 scoop of karbolyn(12.5g carbs) during my workout. No issue with getting results training this way.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Muscle loss from fasted training is waaaaaaayyy overblown. Training a muscle actually eliminates glucocorticoid-induced catabolism.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have train Fasted in the AM for about the last 20 years !!

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Muscle loss when training fasted is a myth imo. I will say though that from my personal experience and my personal opinion anyway, if someone’s goal is to add mass then not having a pre workout meal and going straight to the gym with no fuel is certainly not optimal.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Muscle loss when training fasted is a myth imo. I will say though that from my personal experience and my personal opinion anyway, if someone’s goal is to add mass then not having a pre workout meal and going straight to the gym with no fuel is certainly not optimal.
Ehh for me, eating even an hour before hinders my lifts.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You won’t lose muscle training fasted that’s for sure as long as you eat maintenance or a surplus throughout the day. I personally can’t do it. I need food in my stomach or I perform like garbage and don’t feel well. I’m hypoglycemic though so that’s most likely why

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don't really think that many people with much experience think that muscle loss from fasted training is a legitimate worry any longer. Maybe 10-20 years ago but now I think the reason most people in the know suggest being fed is better performance leads to better gains if food intake is sufficient for recovery. There is no question that when it comes to resistance training or any type of explosive training that a fed body performs better. Not saying be full when you train, that is a silly notion but having nutrients flowing freely in the bloodstream is far more efficient then the body having to release stored energy stores in order to supply the muscle to work.

In that aspect training fed is more optimal, but you are really majoring in the minutia when it comes to that and body composition. Training fasted could be better for someone trying to lean out. However training when it is convenient to you and less likely to miss sessions is going to be more advantageous. Just know being unfed your muscles will reach failure a little earlier, your CNS is not as amped up as it will be later in the day so lifts will feel heavier. None of that really effects what happens when you train those muscles appropriately. They still signal for everything needed to rebuild and and adapt and as long as recovery needs are met the difference between the two approaches are going to be minute.

So don't worry too much about it just work hard and get your appropriate nutrition in and you will be fine and see great progress. When you need to perform better then make sure you are fed.