Working different muscle fibers two days in a row. Discuss

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
This is merely something that popped into my head while reading through more articles written by more "experts" about how you should handle your body..

So, you read and hear so much about working in rep ranges of 1-5, 6-8 and 12+ and how those different ranges work different muscle fibers. 1-5 is heavy to build strength, 6-8 is medium for size and 12+ is light for endurance. If I'm lifting a 5x5 chest routine on Monday, who's to say that I can't go lift a 6-8 medium weight rep range for chest on Tuesday because I'm hitting "different muscle fibers" and that be all the chest I do that week. According to the "experts", you would be hitting different fibers, so doing chest two days in a row shouldn't matter(right?), and you would be gaining size and strength at the same time. Then you could turn around and do the same for back and legs on Thursday and Friday. I'm saying all of this with a dash of sarcasm intended because I'm sick of seeing people argue constantly about over training and how what rep ranges work what and what you can and can't do on a daily basis. According to their theories, this should work, but somebody would argue that it wouldn't, simply because you are hitting chest two days in a row without adequate recovery time.

P.S. - I don't really believe in "over training" in the sense that people now speak of it, seeing as my grandfather build cinder block houses from the ground up day in and day out his whole life and had arms as big around as my legs well into his 80's.

PhazzedOut

Awards
Wouldn't my chest still be sore making my benching experience unpleasant?

JBVA

JBVA

Awards
I suppose it would, yeah.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always think of a comment Dr Ken said years ago about training science. Most of it is BS when applied to getting big and strong.
Give me a guy who wants to get as strong as he can and is willing to put his ass on the ground every W/O, over someone who measures everything with a stick, tape, counting TUT and clocking between sets.

spendingdinar

Awards
I plan to experiment with everything on this lifelong muscle building journey why not if you are curious should work as long at theyres progressive overload

IronANDtest88

Awards
Its a good theory but what you have to realize is one: you dont ONLY hit type 1 fibers with endurance range, and ONLY hit type 2 with heavy weights. Other muscle fibers are recruited to assist whatever primary fiber is working. This is why a rep range of 6-12 is considered a "Hypertrohpy" rep range because TUT (time under tension) requires you to use most all types of muscle fibers priming your body for the most growth.

Some genectics like high volume though, so its atleast worth a try. Do your high rep day first to minimize risk of injury. That would be my suggestion.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe you can only work one type of fiber.