Which Journals Do You Guys Like to Follow for Supp/Nutrition Research?

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
For those of you who keep up on the latest supplement and sports nutrition research, which journals do you like?

I know there's a lot of them out there, so just wanted to see which ones you guys find to have some of the better research articles.

The only one my school has is American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, and while I like it for overall nutrition, I'm looking for some that deal more with sports nutrition and supplements.

Thanks.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are you in school for ? Nutrition ?

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
What are you in school for ? Nutrition ?
My undergrad degree is biomedical science with an emphasis in nutrition, but I'm planning on going to med school as soon as I'm done (hopefully next fall).

Was looking for journal recommendations just for my own research purposes, not necessarily for anything school related.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm sure u have a great plan outlined. But my experience was that burn out crept up out of nowhere in my last semester of grad school. Med school was out of the question at that point for me. It was a good 5 years before I could force myself to read anything in a journal again.

No intent to hijack, just felt like sharing.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure u have a great plan outlined. But my experience was that burn out crept up out of nowhere in my last semester of grad school. Med school was out of the question at that point for me. It was a good 5 years before I could force myself to read anything in a journal again.

No intent to hijack, just felt like sharing.
Yeah I hear ya. I know it gets tedious and is not easy at times, but that doesn't bother me. I just keep my mind on the end goal and try to have fun in the process.

I enjoy learning about anything that has to do with the human body, and since that's basically what my whole schooling involves, I'm liking it.

What were you studying in grad school?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My undergrad degree is biomedical science with an emphasis in nutrition, but I'm planning on going to med school as soon as I'm done (hopefully next fall).

Was looking for journal recommendations just for my own research purposes, not necessarily for anything school related.
Good stuff man. Good luck to you.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Would you be able to grab a sports nutrition text book and take a look at the back and see which publication published the studies that most interested you in the text and go from there?

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Would you be able to grab a sports nutrition text book and take a look at the back and see which publication published the studies that most interested you in the text and go from there?
Yeah that's not a bad idea. I was thinking of doing something similar with other articles or books I've read.

I have a few of Lyle's books and he always has good sources in them, so I can start with those journals.

I wonder if there's a site that takes the top studies from different journals and compiles them all into a nice package. Something like a monthly digest of the top X amount of published studies that came out would be really cool. There's gotta be something like that, I just haven't found it yet.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is a good idea to start and you can do the same with journal articles. Check out pubmed to see what people have published more recently as well. Don't limit yourself to just a few journals because the reality is that people publish where they can, so articles get spread out all over the place.

Search around for local conferences as well. There will be talks/slide presentations and poster sessions as well that could be very helpful and great for making connections within the field.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
This is a good idea to start and you can do the same with journal articles. Check out pubmed to see what people have published more recently as well. Don't limit yourself to just a few journals because the reality is that people publish where they can, so articles get spread out all over the place.

Search around for local conferences as well. There will be talks/slide presentations and poster sessions as well that could be very helpful and great for making connections within the field.
Thanks for the ideas.

I do like PubMed a lot, but sometimes the search results can be all over the place. I'll have to play around with the filters more to try and narrow things down.

Good idea on the local conferences. That's definitely something I need to start doing more.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
JISSN is solid.

clown007

clown007

Awards
Maybe not what you're looking for, but I have enjoyed reading Alan Aragon's newsletter. It is definitely biased by his own ideas and beliefs but you could always read his newsletter and then go to the original studies sourced and read it primary source.
Just an idea.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Maybe not what you're looking for, but I have enjoyed reading Alan Aragon's newsletter. It is definitely biased by his own ideas and beliefs but you could always read his newsletter and then go to the original studies sourced and read it primary source.
Just an idea.
Yeah I know he's a pretty well-respected guy in the industry, but I never liked him to be honest.

I agree that sourcing studies from him could be useful though. Will check it out.

clown007

clown007

Awards
Check out: h t t p://www.alanaragonblog.com/aarrindex/
Its his list of articles he uses in his newsletter. You may find some cool stuff in there.