whey protein actually lowering t with soy lecithin ?

jsm1289

Awards
So i am writing to inquire what people think about the effects of soy lecithin as an ingredient in a lot of protein powders? I ask because my total t has decreased significantly in the past several months, coincidentally coinciding with an increase in the number of scoops I have been taking? Any thoughts on this? Obviously we all use protein powder a decent amount and yes we try to take in as much as we can from food, but is there any merit to researching a buying a presumably more expensive soy free whey powder?

thanks!

2skinny

2skinny

Awards
I was just about to order some whey isolate today, but then noticed in the ingredients "soy lecithin (less than 1%)."
I'm trying to get away from soy as much as possible. As times goes on, I'm hearing more and more negatives concerning soy.
It's a bit frustrating. I'll have to keep shopping around.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fact: soy does not impact hormones to a noticeable degree.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was just about to order some whey isolate today, but then noticed in the ingredients "soy lecithin (less than 1%)."
I'm trying to get away from soy as much as possible. As times goes on, I'm hearing more and more negatives concerning soy.
It's a bit frustrating. I'll have to keep shopping around.
Lecithin is used to "instantize" the protein and without it the protein would will not mix uniformly in liquid. The amount that you would consume in 100grams of protein powder is insignificant.

for example, its like using 5mgs of caffeine and expecting stimulation.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Fact: soy does not impact hormones to a noticeable degree.
well that is highly questionable..wouldn't run around screaming this, altho you are certainly entitled to your opinion

OP: kudos to you for grasping this concept! we are inundated and bombarded constantly with estrogens in our world...food estrogens..environmental estrogens..industry supplement estrogens..
the list is unending, and there are many in the more advanced realm of nutritional study who propose this has indeed contributed to the generalized lowering of testosterone produced by men naturally

now -- that said, yes the amount you refer to in these powders is very minute, and would seem to be inconsequential in and of themselves..
other side of coin is: if you can reduce your exposure to these unnecessary things where you can, that is probably a pretty good strategy to live by

2skinny

2skinny

Awards
Lecithin is used to "instantize" the protein and without it the protein would will not mix uniformly in liquid. The amount that you would consume in 100grams of protein powder is insignificant.

for example, its like using 5mgs of caffeine and expecting stimulation.
I understand.
A "lumpy" and "not easily mixed" protein is inconvenient, gets bad reviews and just doesn't sell as well.
I on the other hand am probably a minority because I would rather deal with the "chunks/lumps" knowing that my protein does not contain any additives, however minute they may be.

I'd have to agree with what snagency says:

other side of coin is: if you can reduce your exposure to these unnecessary things where you can, that is probably a pretty good strategy to live by

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
I have been using muscle feast protein for years and right now I went and checked it and it doesn't say that it has any soy in it. So I guess I did good job by sticking to them.

Gotta love AM for that. I would have never thought of looking into the soy level of my protein. Should start spending more time here.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
What about the hormone blocking BPA's that are in just about everything plastic lol? I'd be more concerned about them then the little bit of soy lecithin in my whey.

2skinny

2skinny

Awards
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I guess my fears were unwarranted. :)
Its always nice when the ejamakated guys chime in to set us simpler folk back on course. Haha
Now back to my protein!

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
lol at the responses to my post. Usual suspects too.
I'm gonna quote someone "Anabolic minds, Where potatoes grow"

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh no! we're worrying about hormonal effects of a few miligrams of soy lecithin.

Guess we should also expect anabolic and nootropic effects too, since soy lecithin contains:

-Phosphatidylcholine
-Phosphatidylserine
-Phosphatidic acid

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Stay away from soy. I thought this was a staple just like take creatine.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
lqtm
I see someone let the children off their leash this morning..
no such thing as valid and educational discussion, with some ppl

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
lqtm
Beat it snagglepuss

We miss you

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lqtm
I thought the same thing when I read your response in this thread. It's like you quote random muscle mags from the 80s and call it legitimate information. Glad you're not on my team lol.