Where Does Walking Play Into a Health and Fitness Program?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering, what role does walking around the block have in a fitness program? Can it be deemed essential, optional, or an inefficient use of time?

Background
:

Due to Coronavirus, my gyms have been shut down for months, and I am stuck in my apartment for months.

I have taken up more walking, maybe an hour a day.

I definitely have become re-acquainted with the pro's and the con's of it.

Perhaps the biggest pro is that it does not interfere with other forms of exercise. For example, a power lifter who is trying to get stronger, or a bodybuilder who wants to gain muscle would find interference at 10 hours of jogging a week; yet, for reasons I do not fully know, a power lifter or bodybuilder who did 20+ hours of walking a week could burn the same amount of calories, but not have the strength and muscle mass compromise.

Pro's:

- Burns calories, especially from fat
- Convenient and cheap, no equipment or gym required
- Very adaptable, can last ten minutes or ten hours
- Helps create slightly more endurance for stressors
- People generally feel more relaxed and comfortable
- Small leg muscles, like calves, get a good workout
- Get to see around your living space, to give a "connected" feeling to the environment
- Deeper sleep, especially if done at night

Con's:

- Burns calories slower than almost every other form of exercise
- Can get boring, especially when done on a treadmill, or the same walking area is done
- Creates slightly increased cardio vascular capacity, but not as much as many other forms of cardio
- Takes lots of time out of the day; many people simply do not have 2 hours a day to set aside for walking, under regular circumstances
- Legs can get chafed

Any Actual Research Articles to Say the Place of Walking in a Fitness Program?