Unanswered What's the best form of creatine?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Having a BS in exercise science (no masters cause **** college), years of training athletes and about a dozen certifications under my belt I can and will say that creatine monohydrate is the most widely used and proven form. I’d rather take mono than take my chances with another form that’s 3x as expensive and possibly only slightly better. It all gets used the same way. That’s why I only recommend mono to the athletes I train if they ask about it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
He went on to start a bunch of threads in the supplements section that clearly showed he had no grasp of basic science, so I feel pretty safe saying his alleged MD is complete crap lol
Some of those threads just hurt.....

soxbsbll05

soxbsbll05

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I can't believe how much thought some people put into creatine usage lol

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Doesn’t matter a ton you could honestly take it whenever.
Yup pretty much! When you get in to completion loading phases etc then it depends more on loading and timing but it’s not super imperative honestly

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't believe how much thought some people put into creatine usage lol
Marketing complicates things and people keep repeating information that is based less on science and more on what a GNC employee told them in the 90s. It all just leads to confusion on a fairly simply subject.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Micronized creatine monohydrate. You can't really improve on it.

Brutefit

Brutefit

Awards
  • First Up Vote
any monohydrate or should one go specifically for creapure ?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
any monohydrate or should one go specifically for creapure ?
The cheapest one that’s still lab tested for purity. Don’t want funky **** mixed in. GNC has a decent brand if you can get it on sale.

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Micronized creatine monohydrate. You can't really improve on it.
You only need micronized if you are going mix it with cold water or take it in a cap. If you use regular creatine mono and mix it with 120 deg water like coffee or tea it will completely dissolve. No GI tract stress or cramping. You can not store it because it slowly degrades over time. If you have no GI issues then it does not matter.
If you go back and read the first mouse studies, this is how they prepared it for consumption. Really dry reading, but that is the scientific method.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
creapure for bulking
creatine hcl for cutting
stomach acid cleaves h20 or hcl off of the creatine - make no difference (same with bs krealkylin - all turn to just creatine in stomach acid). creatine pull water inter-musle, very good! even mono not do anything for subq water - you only taking at most, 2.5g h2o molecule! 2.5g h20 weigh.....2.5g! :)

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
stomach acid cleaves h20 or hcl off of the creatine - make no difference (same with bs krealkylin - all turn to just creatine in stomach acid). creatine pull water inter-musle, very good! even mono not do anything for subq water - you only taking at most, 2.5g h2o molecule! 2.5g h20 weigh.....2.5g! :)
Yes! I don’t know why everyone seems to think different types of creatine have different uses or effects. At the end of the day, it’s just creatine. The only advantage of HCl is that the hydrochloride molecule itself increases acidity of whatever you mix it into which increases solubility of the creatine. Creatine citrate did the same. It’s still just creatine.

As for Kre-Alkalyn, it’s actually plain monohydrate, they just add a “buffer” to increase pH. However, i find it hard to believe they put enough buffer in two capsules to do anything that would even remotely effect stomach acid. Even if it did, would that even help? Probably not. That **** is useless.

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You only need micronized if you are going mix it with cold water or take it in a cap. If you use regular creatine mono and mix it with 120 deg water like coffee or tea it will completely dissolve. No GI tract stress or cramping. You can not store it because it slowly degrades over time. If you have no GI issues then it does not matter.
If you go back and read the first mouse studies, this is how they prepared it for consumption. Really dry reading, but that is the scientific method.
So you’re saying mix it with hot water as opposed to cold if you get GI issues and they will be alleviated? I get stomach issues with mono and looking at ways to help.

Thanks

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So you’re saying mix it with hot water as opposed to cold if you get GI issues and they will be alleviated? I get stomach issues with mono and looking at ways to help.

Thanks
Warm water + micronized

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So standard mono it won’t help or have I misunderstood?
Micronized is monohydrate. It is simply micronized.

Non-micronized mono will not dissolve in solution as readily as micronized monohydrate.

All forms of creatine will dissolve a bit better in warmer vs colder water.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Thanks
Stomach issues tend to arise from undissolved creatine. Micronized just means it’s a finer powder and dissolves more easily. Warmer water will also help solubility. Acidity can also help, which is the only benefit from using creatine HCl or citrate, they increase acidity. You could also mix it in a slightly acidic beverage like orange juice. Or add citrulline malate, the malic acid in there is of course acidic.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Stomach issues tend to arise from undissolved creatine. Micronized just means it’s a finer powder and dissolves more easily. Warmer water will also help solubility. Acidity can also help, which is the only benefit from using creatine HCl or citrate, they increase acidity. You could also mix it in a slightly acidic beverage like orange juice. Or add citrulline malate, the malic acid in there is of course acidic.
isn't that ironic...back in the day they used to say never mix creatine with orange juice, because of the acidity, lol.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
isn't that ironic...back in the day they used to say never mix creatine with orange juice, because of the acidity, lol.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that was started by Jeff Golini. You know, because creatine is broken down rapidly unless it’s buffered. Except, it’s actually fine for literally days!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn’t be surprised if that was started by Jeff Golini. You know, because creatine is broken down rapidly unless it’s buffered. Except, it’s actually fine for literally days!
lol...yes. I remember mixing some creatine and if I didn't drink it in an hour or so throwing it away.

funny though, those things were accepted by most guys on here at the time.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
lol...yes. I remember mixing some creatine and if I didn't drink it in an hour or so throwing it away.

Right. I’m sure it was a decent enough idea, but didn’t hold up to later scrutiny. Like so many other things, even just in the world of creatine. The loading phase, for example. Not a bad idea, but turned out to be unnecessary.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Right. I’m sure it was a decent enough idea, but didn’t hold up to later scrutiny. Like so many other things, even just in the world of creatine. The loading phase, for example. Not a bad idea, but turned out to be unnecessary.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
On this note, while 5g/day is plenty for fitness related benefits there are neuroprotective benefits to the best of my knowledge that have only been shown at higher doses. I shoot for a minimum of 10g

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
On this note, while 5g/day is plenty for fitness related benefits there are neuroprotective benefits to the best of my knowledge that have only been shown at higher doses. I shoot for a minimum of 10g
I don’t recall ever seeing that research. Could be possible. If I were to speculate, I’d say an issue an active individual would have is that too much of the creatine is taken up by muscle cells, not leaving enough to make a significant difference in the brain. In that case, longer term supplementation should still be fine at lower doses. However, I’m wondering if it’s related to needing a certain blood concentration in order to cross the blood brain barrier. Is that a thing? Not sure. Still, 10g a day is a reasonable dose.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don’t recall ever seeing that research. Could be possible. If I were to speculate, I’d say an issue an active individual would have is that too much of the creatine is taken up by muscle cells, not leaving enough to make a significant difference in the brain. In that case, longer term supplementation should still be fine at lower doses. However, I’m wondering if it’s related to needing a certain blood concentration in order to cross the blood brain barrier. Is that a thing? Not sure. Still, 10g a day is a reasonable dose.

I’ve read a few like this. 8g/day seems to be a good dose for these benefits based on a few I’ve read. I’ve seen others go as high as 20g/day. Will try to dig up more of them when I have some free time

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If I can find it there was one that iirc showed benefits at 8g that weren’t seen at 5g. The one I posted was only over a 5 day period but so many studies on creatine the **** is hard to find when I need it

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If I can find it there was one that iirc showed benefits at 8g that weren’t seen at 5g. The one I posted was only over a 5 day period but so many studies on creatine the **** is hard to find when I need it
You make it sound like sitting through 1,000+ studies can be hard. No worries, I’ll probably look into when I have the time. I’ve considered throwing together an article about creatine, but it seems like such a huge undertaking as there’s just so much research out there.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
monohydrate causes bloat in some people
Very few, and usually due to too large of an intake.

Micronized often fixes that issue as well.

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What’s the optimum amount for performance enhancement. 10g per day of monohydrate? I know it’s 88% Creatine so 10g might be too much. Just interested how much people use and expect from a product (Pre made e.g ghost size)

Thanks

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s the optimum amount for performance enhancement. 10g per day of monohydrate? I know it’s 88% Creatine so 10g might be too much. Just interested how much people use and expect from a product (Pre made e.g ghost size)

Thanks
For performance once saturated 3-5g is all you should need.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Thanks
I’d go with 5 if performance is your only concern

poluvolo

Awards
On training days
5gr creatine nitrate
5gr monohydrate after work out mixing with my post training liquid supplement meal
on non training days
5gr creatine monohydrate