Unanswered What Supplements Are Effective, Safe, and Cost-Effective, When Used as Directed?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone,

I have always brainstormed about what works in the supplement world, as 95%+ in the US is over-priced junk.

Here is what I have learned from 20 years in gyms, etc. It is not perfect, and I welcome as much input and accompanying research as possible.

I will say that a supplement must be effective, safe, and cost-effective when used as directed.

Some supplements, such as pyruvate, chitosan, etc. have actually had studies to it stops lipid absorption, but not effective in regular doses. Likewise, anything (including water or Vitamin C) can be harmful in large enough doses, but not for the regular population. Similarly, cost-effective means affordable on a normal budget. Other professionals know that professional bodybuilders spend up to 10,000 USD a month on supplements; obviously, it is worth 1000 USD a month to spend on something with a small benefit. The rest of us are not so obsessive.

As for what I can see that fits the criteria as effective, safe, and cost-effective in order of severity
:

- Whey Protein (I cannot tell if whey protein isolate is better than whey protein concentrate to justify the cost)
- Caffeine Source (caffeine anhydrous or coffee is what is in most supplements, even these great fat burners)
- Creatine Monohydrate (Will Brink's Creative Graveyard showed that loading CM in warm water, followed by a teaspoon maintenance dose, is as good as even the best marketed brands.

More Serious Stuff That Works, But Can Realistically Harm You If Done Wrong:

- SARMS, especially Ostarine and LGD-4033 (these guys are new to the block; but, when used in mild doses do show some improvement with few side effects)
- Testosterone (Testosterone Cypionate seems most used in TRT, and can be used, especially for older people)
- Anabolic Steroids (Oxandrolone, Primobolan Depot, and Oral Turinabol seem to have been safe, when used in the smaller studied doses of 10mg a day of Anavar, or 1 Vial a Week of Primobolan, not the huge bodybuilding doses); in theory, they could be used for years without serious side effects, if a competent doctor monitored.
- Human Growth Hormone (again, when actually prescribed and monitored by a doctor, it can be effective)
- Ephedra- can be used in place of fat burners. But, must be used at a low dose, as directed. People died from taking too much, once their body was habituated to it.

Stuff That Works, But is So Dangerous Not to Use

Cardarine
: It seems like the six week mark in rats turned it from a miracle drug for burning fat and raising good HDL levels to turning cancerous. Humans do experiment on it, even in trials. We are just not sure if the great effects in endurance are worth the effects.
Hard-core steroids: (Dianabol, Decadurabolin, Anadrol) work but have so many side effects for the gains.
Insulin: Works when used as directed, but if you make a mistake taking, can make you unconscious or kill you
DNP: Excellent fat burner, but I cannot think of any more dangerous supplement to experiment.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What's your criteria are you using for "safe"? I do like that you're including the caveat of having a doctor monitor use on some of these.

brundel

brundel

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All of the Black Lion Research products have very solid effects and exceptional safety for something anabolic, fat burning etc. Many people use our stuff year round without issues.
IN fact several of our products will improve health over time like Follidrone.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There are a lot of natural anabolic products out there that meet your criteria above. Anafuse, follidrone, AE, x gels the list goes on.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would add Arachidonic Acid (SNS Xgels) as safe, studied, effective (proven in studies).

Forskolin, creatine, etc etc... there are literally hundreds of "approved/safe" supplements available so the question for me seems more on the cost:benefit vs just the safety... AAS should not even be part of this discussion as that's a whole different animal

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
1. A few people, such as William Llewelyn's company BodyOfScience, seems to promote Arachidonic Acid.

2. I know Gaspari had their new Halodrol-50 (with Arachidonic acid instead of 25 mg Oral Turinabol/25 gm Madol). I used to think it was laughably stupid to make such a downgrade and call it new and improved. However, I now know AA might still have use.

3. Just curious, why did Barry Sears famous "Zone Diet" heavily speak against products with AA in them.

I know the Zone Diet does not have much backing in science, when you really come to think of it. I am more curious than anything else.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
3. Just curious, why did Barry Sears famous "Zone Diet" heavily speak against products with AA in them.

I know the Zone Diet does not have much backing in science, when you really come to think of it. I am more curious than anything else.
I believe a big part of the Zone Diet has to do with the marketing gimmicks surrounding inflammation and all the evils of the world that inflammation causes. That diet is trying to work against indigenous AA and would definitely be against adding in any extra from supplements.