what equipment is best for cardio?

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I had a diamondback stepper for 2.5 yrs and got sick of it breaking so about a yr ago I went to ebay and purchased a used commercial stairmaster, well to be honest I am kinda tired of it. And was thinking of getting a treadmill for a chance of pace.

Please give your honest opinion what is better for cardio, stairmaster or treadmill, and please state your reason why.......

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Why not get both with an eliptical trainer lol

Actually I prefer the eliptical. Low impart and more variation for me.

CROWLER

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
personally I'd rather go for a jump rope, cheap and effective.

But if I did have to pick between the two I'd go with stairmaster.

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
why not have both? money and space limitations.......lol

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
why not have both? money and space limitations.......lol

No I said

Why not get both with an eliptical trainer

Meaning an eliptical trainer is sort of like both.

CROWLER

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
the one that you will use the most..
Seriously, I would suggest the eliptical also.. once you start using one, it is really hard to go do anything else

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the one that you will use the most..
Seriously, I would suggest the eliptical also.. once you start using one, it is really hard to go do anything else
Matthew is referring to a jump rope:woohoo:

damnit no he's not...

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I hate both, I'd rather sit on a bike, stationary only when it's raining (or friken cold). I don't get the question, just buy what you know your going to use.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I prefer treadmills. I change up the incline and alternate between walking and running. Seems to do the best job of conditioning me for actual running which I do outside when the weather turns. (I hate doing cardio indoors)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I found that the treadmill works best for me.. but the impact kills my knees. So I stick with the elliptical and have okay success with that. If you get a tread for the house, I don't suggest jogging/running on it wear and tear will shorten its life, save that for the treads at the gym.

johngalt

Awards
a pair of good shoes and a nice day.
Exactly. Or a pair of swim trunks (or a speedo if you prefer) and a large body of water. What can I say, I'm just not a fan of cardio machines.

D-termine

D-termine

Awards
Do you guys really think that the ellipticals are an effective form of cardio? I hate running and what it does on my knees, and now that I have a gym pass Ive started to use them. never really done cardio while cutting b4, im blessed in that regard, but I thought I would step it up a notch this time.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Do you guys really think that the ellipticals are an effective form of cardio? I hate running and what it does on my knees, and now that I have a gym pass Ive started to use them. never really done cardio while cutting b4, im blessed in that regard, but I thought I would step it up a notch this time.

Definitely.

I had an ankle injury and used an eliptical exclusively(except 4 1 mile runs in 7 months) for a triathlon and suprisingly enough my run time in the race was only off by a small amount.

BTW I see the guys suggesting a pair of running shoes are both in their 20s and probably weigh less than 200lbs, one of them is a college track man so of course that is what he would suggest.

I am just a grandpa who weighs 235lbs and is jealous of you younger guys who can run daily and not ache too much :)

CROWLER

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Elliptical is ok but personally I can't stand them. Treadmill and Stair Climber are top in my book. Also don't go by the calories burning on the ellipticals, their overstated by a ton. Also every study I've seen on cardio equipment has stated the treadmill to be the top dog as far as burning calories.

But like MattD said which ever you will do more often is the best choice.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Elliptical is ok but personally I can't stand them. Treadmill and Stair Climber are top in my book. Also don't go by the calories burning on the ellipticals, their overstated by a ton. Also every study I've seen on cardio equipment has stated the treadmill to be the top dog as far as burning calories.

But like MattD said which ever you will do more often is the best choice.

I'm with ya on the tread... I always felt that the cals on the elliptical can be overstated. Just the damn impact on the tread kills me.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'm with ya on the tread... I always felt that the cals on the elliptical can be overstated. Just the damn impact on the tread kills me.
The elliptical is a lot more impact on my knee's. The treadmill doesn't bother them at all. Another thing to watch on the ellipticals is the range of motion, if your taller you could have serious problems. Also the formula for calories burned on them is crazy, it's all a guestimate.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
It seems to be easier to get my heart rate up to where I want it to be on a treadmill. Even when just walking fast...which is what I do.
So tread would be my choice.

SocrBalls84

Awards
Like Crawler, I had some ankle injuries in high school because of soccer. Physical therapy was full of using the elliptical - it worked the joins in the lower body and helped me get my cardio in. I prefer to use the ones with the upper body attachment - the movable handlebars, if you will.

The one at the gym has this cross-trainer setting that mixes a few levels into the workout and adds difficulty to the lowerbody and upperbody at different times.

But anyway ... my vote is for the ellipticals. Take it for what it's worth, but consumersearch.com listed some of the best ellipticals (I've used their website a couple times before buying some things ... good for some reviews, terrible for others):

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/health_and_fitness/elliptical-trainers/

ginhead

Awards
anyone ever use a Nordic Track? One of the things that I really like about it is the independent resistance between upper and lower body.

I bike outside during the summer, but it is great to have during the winter.

trashydiva24

trashydiva24

Awards
How about one of those nordictrack tredclimbers???? It is like an elliptical and treadmill in one... my gf has one and loves it... space saver also... I use the treadmill at the gym... incline like crazy and low mph gets that HR to the range that I need.

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i have a nordic track elliptical and i like it.....i have an ankle injury and i can use it just fine with low pain...if any at all......i like the ability for the higher resistances....makes ya feel like your climbing stairs........also....i like the moving handles.....put it on a moderate to high resistance and switch between using mostly legs to using mostly upper body.....gives a insane total body workout.....when im done doing 45 minutes of a combo upper and lower....all the muscles in my body.....are pumped and feel good....keep your abs tight through the whole workout...and you have a quick....total body cardio workout.....and the stride on it is good also...im 6'1ish and alot of the elipticals are very short strided and very uncomfortable to use

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
For all of your cardio needs.

Thats for sissy's. A mountain bike requires more work output thus burning more calories with all other variables at a constant. :D

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I go with the elliptical machine usually. Treadmill at an incline sometimes though.

I do seem to get a better cardio workout when walking on the treadmill at an incline.

But, the ellipitcal lends itself better to HIIT (since I ain't sprinting anymore).