What does it take, nutrition wise, to put on 1lb of muscle?

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Wanting to hear different people's thoughts. I have my own preconceived notions which I will share later

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There are only 700 calories in a pound of muscle. But it takes about 2700-2800 calories to BUILD a pound of muscle. We can't force extra muscle gain by eating more and we are very limited in the actual amount of muscle gained per month.
If you are gaining muscle you don't need quite as many calories as you think. Instead you need a small consistent surplus that you raise every few weeks based on your results. It takes a lot of energy to build muscle but unfortunately you cannot force it to grow faster.
This is why a small calorie surplus is needed, consistently, to create a new pound of muscle. You need about 2800 or so excess calories to build a pound of muscle. When we consisder that most people can only gain a few pounds of actual muscle maximally per month, that comes down to 200-300 calories over maintenance daily. Not much at all. Eating more will only lead to fat gain.
https://thestrongkitchen.com/blog/post/how-many-calories-does-it-take-to-build-a-pound-of-muscle

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
DC, You and I was debating this topic a week ago. Very interesting..

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are only 700 calories in a pound of muscle. But it takes about 2700-2800 calories to BUILD a pound of muscle. We can't force extra muscle gain by eating more and we are very limited in the actual amount of muscle gained per month.
If you are gaining muscle you don't need quite as many calories as you think. Instead you need a small consistent surplus that you raise every few weeks based on your results. It takes a lot of energy to build muscle but unfortunately you cannot force it to grow faster.
This is why a small calorie surplus is needed, consistently, to create a new pound of muscle. You need about 2800 or so excess calories to build a pound of muscle. When we consisder that most people can only gain a few pounds of actual muscle maximally per month, that comes down to 200-300 calories over maintenance daily. Not much at all. Eating more will only lead to fat gain.
Geez bro... If your going to copy and paste something at least give them credit or cite it ;)

https://www.truewillaesthetics.com/simple-muscle-building-diet-for-superior-muscle/

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
2 grams of protein per pound of body weight every day while bulking. 6 ounces of chicken, meat, or fish has about 36 grams of protein.....
So, a 200lb man would need 400 grams of protein a day for how long to build 1lb of muscle? I know this isn't absolute. But in general.

Can you explain why you need a 2800 calorie excess to build a lb of muscle?

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
2 grams of protein per pound of body weight every day while bulking. 6 ounces of chicken, meat, or fish has about 36 grams of protein.....
Personally I think you can get away with less than half of that while bulking, just eat a ton of carbs. I've never used anabolics to bulk though.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What kind of person We’re talking about here? The Average Genetics or Great Genetics?

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Did you know that a lb of muscle (453 grams) is about 75% water (340 grams or 0 calories) and 18.5% protein (83 grams or 332 calories).

Discuss

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
We take a great guy like DC,(small fry) I believe his body type is Meso/Endo. Key Factors here High Protein,Good Quality Fats,and Carbs. Also training his style of training will play a major role

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Did you know that a lb of muscle (453 grams) is about 75% water (340 grams or 0 calories) and 18.5% protein (83 grams or 332 calories).

Discuss
Based on this information, on a 10 week cycle at 200 grams of protein a day x 70 days = 14,000 grams / 83 grams of protein per LB of muscle you would expect 168lbs of muscle gain if all this protein goes toward muscle growth. Which it obviously doesn't. Maybe 10% of it (16.8 lb of muscle gain in 10 weeks). So basically only 20 of that 200 grams is going towards muscle growth.

I guess I'm just confused as to why so little goes towards muscle growth, where the rest of it goes and how to increase the amount going towards muscle growth since 90% of it seems to be getting shyt out. I know insulin allows more protein to go towards muscle growth... But.. IDK This is just something I guess I wish I had a beter grasp of.

This 200-400grams of protein a day for muscle growth thing just does not make sense to me. And in fact I have seen muscle growth on a large deficit with maybe 120 grams a day total of protein (was on AAS however).

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Based on this information, on a 10 week cycle at 200 grams of protein a day x 70 days = 14,000 grams / 83 grams of protein per LB of muscle you would expect 168lbs of muscle gain if all this protein goes toward muscle growth. Which it obviously doesn't. Maybe 10% of it (16.8 lb of muscle gain in 10 weeks). So basically only 20 of that 200 grams is going towards muscle growth.

I guess I'm just confused as to why so little goes towards muscle growth, where the rest of it goes and how to increase the amount going towards muscle growth since 90% of it seems to be getting shyt out. I know insulin allows more protein to go towards muscle growth... But.. IDK This is just something I guess I wish I had a beter grasp of.

This 200-400grams of protein a day for muscle growth thing just does not make sense to me. And in fact I have seen muscle growth on a large deficit with maybe 120 grams a day total of protein (was on AAS however).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854183/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK218739/
Proteins account for about three-fourths of the dry matter in most human tissues other than bone and adipose tissue. They are macromolecules with molecular weights ranging from a few thousand to many millions, and they are required for practically every essential function in the body.
Protein isn’t just going to muscles, and even the skeletal muscles we want to make big and strong aren’t the only muscles in the human body by a long shot.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You still don't need nearly as much as bodybuilding culture would have you believe.

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854183/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK218739/

Protein isn’t just going to muscles, and even the skeletal muscles we want to make big and strong aren’t the only muscles in the human body by a long shot.
Nice, thanks.
One thing that stood out:

A recent survey by Slater and Phillips (79) reported a protein intake that ranged from 1.1 to 3.3 g/24 h among adult male strength and power athletes during their training. However, as mentioned above, there is no evidence that even these strength athletes absorb more than 1.25 g protein/24 h.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice, thanks.
One thing that stood out:

A recent survey by Slater and Phillips (79) reported a protein intake that ranged from 1.1 to 3.3 g/24 h among adult male strength and power athletes during their training. However, as mentioned above, there is no evidence that even these strength athletes absorb more than 1.25 g protein/24 h.
That has to be g/lb or g/kg. And we have some much more controlled studies than just a survey showing the effects of protein consumption on muscle gain. My main point was to show what protein goes to besides skeletal muscle really.
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0177-8

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
from my experience, once i got into the 2.5-3.5 g per lb. of lean mass was simply the best and fastest growth i have experienced. sh!7 gets old hitting those macros on the daily

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
from my experience, once i got into the 2.5-3.5 g per lb. of lean mass was simply the best and fastest growth i have experienced. sh!7 gets old hitting those macros on the daily
What kind of AAS/ slin dosages are we talking though

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check out that article I posted... One of the things that he's saying in there is yeah sure you can eat a bunch of calories and protein and gain weight and size but you'll lose the muscle separation and being able to see definition AND your adding more water, fat and glycogen than anything else. But surely you are getting bigger and adding some muscle. The point of the whole article is that you can grow muscle only at 4 to 600 over maintenance and slowly increasing calories as needed, putting on muscle only. Not fat, glycogen and water.

Its easy to eat 1000-1500 over and grow but you'll look like shyt

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I get all My Protein through Food and no Protein shakes. I just count calories and I continue to grow and get stronger.

Steeleydan

Awards
  • Established
Wish we could decide what bodily processes our calories could be used towards before we eat... Smh

Or wake up and select what you use as fuel

Brain implant voice : "SELECT ENERGY SOURCE":
A. Stored Fat
B. Carbs
C. Your hard earned MUSCLE
D. Food in belly

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wish we could decide what bodily processes our calories could be used towards before we eat... Smh
In before you forget to allocate some calories to some obscure but vital bodily function and end up dying lol.

Steeleydan

Awards
  • Established
In before you forget to allocate some calories to some obscure but vital bodily function and end up dying lol.
Id probably end up neglecting just about every possible bodily function that doesnt facilitate gains

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
frankly i dont think that applys in this instance.. think about it this way.. im always cycling or what not. point is that is a normal for me. the thing that made the difference was the amount of protein (again, in this case only). i used to be a non believer in the whole protein intake theory's. always able to grow on the old school approach of .8 g per pound of lean body weight. if only i would have experimented earlier along! in the presence of anabolics and other PEDs high protein intake is remarkable indeed. the pros all eat massive amounts to get big and then find they can maintain on way less. so i do find myself not applying a high intake. im alot older and am happy with a pound or two a yr. not too worried about gaining much more on my little frame. currently bulking and hit 240.. can barely make out my top abs. eating about 1g per pound... and gaining a healthy mix of fat and muscle but im feeling well accomplished for the last yr. and going into this one~

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1lbs not much at all. Anyone that start working out will add that within a month or less probably if not more. Now if we take a guy that's been working out 20 years it's very different.

BTW there's something really interesting when it comes to making your body anabolic during the gym. EAA is one thing that is overlooked due to the cheaper alternative in bcaa.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1lbs not much at all. Anyone that start working out will add that within a month or less probably if not more. Now if we take a guy that's been working out 20 years it's very different.
Something to this. When I started, I packed on muscle like no other. Now 25 years later, I will have to consume 5k calories a day to put on a sustainable lb of muscle. I just don't have that interest in me anymore.

Glockguy706

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on what kind of gear your running and how your body reacts I have gained weight in what I thought was a slight deficit while on tren and trest .

Glockguy706

Awards
  • Established
I'm actually thinking about cutting a bulk short due to this and start cutting 20 pounds in a month was going for 16 weeks if it doesnt slow I will be 310 by the time it's over... strength way up and same size pants but I think I am gaining to fast for my cardiovascular system .

Glockguy706

Awards
  • Established
Tren tanked my cardio plus I am scared to do too much while on so much gear

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Something to this. When I started, I packed on muscle like no other. Now 25 years later, I will have to consume 5k calories a day to put on a sustainable lb of muscle. I just don't have that interest in me anymore.
Your metabolism due to the increased muscle mass is arguably sky-high compared to what it was before and much higher than an average person at the same weight who doesn't work out.