Unanswered What do you think is the most under rated ingredient/supplement?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What ingredient do you think is floating around the market but doesn't get as much appreciation as some of the other '' Ingredients '' that are a little too pushed.

For me it's.......

Berberine

I recently had some issues with Candida (Bacterial Overgrowth... Stomach issues)
After being tested and found this is what was causing my stomach issues i started to look into clearing it up. The Doctor recommended. Antibiotics? Hell no.. That's what caused my issue to begin with. So i searched for more '' Natural '' ways and in the past i had only ever really used Berberine as part of all the classic GDA supplements. Just as it was very good at controlling blood glucose levels. At the time i purely thought it was all just for blood sugar benefits. After seeing it also helped clear out Bacterial infections i became intrigued and started to really look into Berberine and what it offers.

Blood Glucose Control (Studies show it is on par with Pharmaceutical drugs ie Metformin)

Activates AMPK which in turn can speed up our Metabolism. I'm sure we have seen AMPK mentioned in a few supplements these days?

Helps fight bacterial infections (Which is the reason i added this to my daily regimen.. I had zero clue Berberine at the time could even be linked to improving your gut) it has been shown in study's to reduce bad bacteria and increase the good one's. The gut microbiome has recently been the forefront of attention and just shows how important a healthy gut can be a huge impact on your overall health. The gut can affect your energy levels.. Your mood (Serotonin levels)' Improves your immune system and just as important.... Helps with digestion and gaining as much benefit from good food as possible.

Lowers LDL and raises HDL levels. I don't think the improvement is hugely significant but it still has a small impact on these levels and every little counts.

Stimulates Nitric Oxide production. This in turn can help with blood pressure ' Increases blood flow and can help with atherosclerosis (Certain their is a good study on this?)

Reduces fatty liver... Has been shown to reduce build up of fat in the liver.

Powerful anti oxidant + Anti inflammatory.

Im sure it has more benefits also but these are pretty significant for one ingredient.

I just wanted to add this as i know Berberine is mentioned quite alot but just never felt it got the appreciation it deserved. Such a powerful ingredient for your overall health.

Also if you buy it in bulk powder form it can last ages but also it isn't very expensive. (I started with capped Berberine then found bulk powder form and i got this as you get FAR more for less £££)

Anyone else think of an ingredient that should be incorporated into your life based on how many benefits it has? I'm sure their are loads. I just feel like some supplements these days can be overly pushed and advertised too much but they just don't have as much research and benefits behind them.

Be interesting to see what people think

Thanks!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Magnesium. Look up what a deficiency means, what the food sources are -and its role in arteriosclerosis.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BTW, I'm a huge proponent of Berberine. Just to share, IMHO, if you use it as a treatment, Berberine HCL is less active than a plant root powder. No matter if its Oregon grape root, golden seal root or barberry root bark.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Magnesium. Look up what a deficiency means, what the food sources are -and its role in arteriosclerosis.
Yeh im a massive fan of Magnesium. I take Magnesium Citrate everyday. I use to purchase any old Magnesium back in the day until i read how bio-avilable some sources are ie Oxide (Which seems to be the main one floating around the market these days)

I also use Cacao powder in with a few of my foods aswell just to get it from a whole food source... Aswell as all the extra's

I have bought Berberine (Plant Form) i was using capped Berberine HCL at first and tbh.. It still done it's job. The powder gram for gram is FAR cheaper if you buy a bulk load.

Muckl3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
K2 mk4, magnesium, taurine, glycine

Liver is like a multi vitamin to me, just eat once a week.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Olive Leaf Extract (standardized for oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol)

Some of the potential benefits/things it may support?
Blood Pressure
Triglycerides
Cholesterol
DNA Damage Reduction
Blood Glucose/Insulin Sensitivity
Anti-Viral/Oxidant/Bacterial

May be able to assist with fat loss as well. More research needed on its fat loss abilities and thyroid optimization

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What ingredient do you think is floating around the market but doesn't get as much appreciation as some of the other '' Ingredients '' that are a little too pushed.

For me it's.......

Berberine

I recently had some issues with Candida (Bacterial Overgrowth... Stomach issues)
After being tested and found this is what was causing my stomach issues i started to look into clearing it up. The Doctor recommended. Antibiotics? Hell no.. That's what caused my issue to begin with. So i searched for more '' Natural '' ways and in the past i had only ever really used Berberine as part of all the classic GDA supplements. Just as it was very good at controlling blood glucose levels. At the time i purely thought it was all just for blood sugar benefits. After seeing it also helped clear out Bacterial infections i became intrigued and started to really look into Berberine and what it offers.

Blood Glucose Control (Studies show it is on par with Pharmaceutical drugs ie Metformin)

Activates AMPK which in turn can speed up our Metabolism. I'm sure we have seen AMPK mentioned in a few supplements these days?

Helps fight bacterial infections (Which is the reason i added this to my daily regimen.. I had zero clue Berberine at the time could even be linked to improving your gut) it has been shown in study's to reduce bad bacteria and increase the good one's. The gut microbiome has recently been the forefront of attention and just shows how important a healthy gut can be a huge impact on your overall health. The gut can affect your energy levels.. Your mood (Serotonin levels)' Improves your immune system and just as important.... Helps with digestion and gaining as much benefit from good food as possible.

Lowers LDL and raises HDL levels. I don't think the improvement is hugely significant but it still has a small impact on these levels and every little counts.

Stimulates Nitric Oxide production. This in turn can help with blood pressure ' Increases blood flow and can help with atherosclerosis (Certain their is a good study on this?)

Im sure it has more benefits also but these are pretty significant for one ingredient.

I just wanted to add this as i know Berberine is mentioned quite alot but just never felt it got the appreciation it deserved. Such a powerful ingredient for your overall health.

Also if you buy it in bulk powder form it can last ages but also it isn't very expensive. (I started with capped Berberine then found bulk powder form and i got this as you get FAR more for less £££)

Anyone else think of an ingredient that should be incorporated into your life based on how many benefits it has? I'm sure their are loads. I just feel like some supplements these days can be overly pushed and advertised too much but they just don't have as much research and benefits behind them.

Thanks!
Thanks for the plethora of info!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe glycerol.. I feel it gives me great pump and vascularity whenever it take it but don't here a ton of people talk about it specifically.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe glycerol.. I feel it gives me great pump and vascularity whenever it take it but don't here a ton of people talk about it specifically.
Right. It is super cheap, and very effective.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Citrus Bergamot

support for healthy cholesterol levels and blood glucose metabolism.

So many people overlook this and it could help their overall bloodwork and BG levels for better insulin sensitivity

As we age this will maintain cholesterol, triglyceride, and blood sugar levels within the normal range. Citrus Bergamot reduces cholesterol and supports healthy glucose metabolism.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For me, I take raw cacao powder in my coffee everday as well as maca root powder. I feel the latter especially is helpful for sex drive and libido. Also collagen for my joints.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Right. It is super cheap, and very effective.
Yep super cheap and effective. Glycerol, Agmatine Sulfate, and Citrulline Malate for the three ingredient pump stack:)

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Olive Leaf Extract. For immune/anti-aging properties.

I've been on it for 15 years straight now. I'm almost 40. I look like I'm freggin 27.

People literally ferociously don't believe me when I tell them my age. They COMBAT IT. They think I'm working them.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Olive Leaf Extract (standardized for oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol)

Some of the potential benefits/things it may support?
Blood Pressure
Triglycerides
Cholesterol
DNA Damage Reduction
Blood Glucose/Insulin Sensitivity
Anti-Viral/Oxidant/Bacterial

May be able to assist with fat loss as well. More research needed on its fat loss abilities and thyroid optimization
Whoa. I didn't read this thread, just posted, then scrolled back up and saw this. LOL! Good man!

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Amazon sells 98% Glyecerol (Glycerin). Is that good to take for pumps?

I've been on it for 15 years straight now. I'm almost 40. I look like I'm freggin 27.

People literally ferociously don't believe me when I tell them my age. They COMBAT IT. They think I'm working them.
Can you recommend a brand? I saw on Amazon something called Read European Olive Leaf Extract which has:
  • 25% OLEUROPEIN — Super-strength 500mg Per Capsule (not “per serving”) of the major olive leaf extract polyphenol. All 500mg is standardized to 25%.
  • 20% HYDROXYTYROSOL COMPLEX
Is this any good?

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cissus quadrangularis for joints and fat management. Inhibits some component of fat absorption. Available dirt cheap

Tommywantwingy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
For me, I take raw cacao powder in my coffee everday as well as maca root powder. I feel the latter especially is helpful for sex drive and libido. Also collagen for my joints.
Usually contains a plethora of heavy metals

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Beet Root powder with Vo2. +1 on magnesium, I make my own TD using flakes and DMSO. About to add d3 and k2

Ot2000

Awards
  • First Up Vote

What brand do you use? I have been using it for a few years myself but am curious on what brands people use.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

If you had told us this 15 years ago, we could have all looked 13 years younger than our actual age. Unforgivable!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

For me it's.......

Berberine

Thanks!
Interesting, I might try this, how much do you take?

SMS

SMS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Cissus quadrangularis for joints and fat management. Inhibits some component of fat absorption. Available dirt cheap
where do you get cissus "dirt cheap"? that thing in powdered form, i buy 11% ketosterones, its the only one available around my zone, is expensive!

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Can you recommend a brand? I saw on Amazon something called Read European Olive Leaf Extract which has:
  • 25% OLEUROPEIN — Super-strength 500mg Per Capsule (not “per serving”) of the major olive leaf extract polyphenol. All 500mg is standardized to 25%.
Is this any good?
Usually contains a plethora of heavy metals
I get the Terrasoul brand raw cacaco and Maca root powder from the Maca Team; both are very reputable brands and offer high quality products.

Tommywantwingy

Awards
  • First Up Vote

Is this any good?

I get the Terrasoul brand raw cacaco and Maca root powder from the Maca Team; both are very reputable brands and offer high quality products.

Is this any good?

Most raw cocoa powder comes from a few suppliers because they control the market ADM,Cargill,Blommers,Barry Callebaut. Good site for chocolate/cocoa powder heavy metals https://www.asyousow.org/environmental-health/toxic-enforcement/toxic-chocolate

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Is this any good?
Swanson Vitamins. 3rd Party Tested. Legit. Most affordable around as well.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What brand do you use? I have been using it for a few years myself but am curious on what brands people use.
Swanson. Once in a blue moon I'll try another when it's not on prime for me, but it's legit. I usually make a huge order off Swanson for my "staple" supplements, fish oils, Vitamin D, Olive Leaf, Selenium, few others.

I want to also toss in Lugol's Iodine, that would be a close #2 or even with Olive Leaf.

Tommywantwingy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Most underrated supplement to me is Spirulina.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you had told us this 15 years ago, we could have all looked 13 years younger than our actual age. Unforgivable!
Haha, I used to browse all the anti aging forums and natural cure ones back then 2004-2006, and everyone was touting it. Just stuck with it. It was rarely mentioned on here or BB.com.

Ot2000

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Swanson. Once in a blue moon I'll try another when it's not on prime for me, but it's legit. I usually make a huge order off Swanson for my "staple" supplements, fish oils, Vitamin D, Olive Leaf, Selenium, few others.

I want to also toss in Lugol's Iodine, that would be a close #2 or even with Olive Leaf.
Ahh okay. Swanson is the brand I have been using a while. Less than $10 for a months worth. I didn’t know if anything out there was better and I don’t trust most of those A brands that pop up from nowhere.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How can I check for heavy metals in my powders? Can I put it in the microwave and see if it starts to spark?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No. When they said glycerol, they were referring to glycerol monostearate. Regular vegetable glyceryn is not the same thing.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How can I check for heavy metals in my powders? Can I put it in the microwave and see if it starts to spark?
Depending on what it is, if you can get it into solution with water, you should, theoretically, be able to use a tap water testing kit.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
AGREED, SNS makes a very cost effective Cissus XT. I love Quercetin. Quality antioxidant and I swear my endurance in the gym is improved. I just breathe better and it helps keep my allergies at bay

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

How much do you take?

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
On this forum I’d say NAC. Agmatine as well, I know people here like it for pumps but it’s great for so much more than that

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Ahh okay. Swanson is the brand I have been using a while. Less than $10 for a months worth. I didn’t know if anything out there was better and I don’t trust most of those A brands that pop up from nowhere.
Look at Island Nutrition. Pricer but great profile

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I checked out island nutrition (real European) olive leaf extract on fakespot and it got an F rating. That means all those positive reviews are mostly fake.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How much do you take?
Just the daily dose on the label. 2 caps 500mg each a day.

Swanson also offers a super extract version:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Veggie Capsule
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value
Olea25™ HydroxytyrosolOlive Leaf Extract (Olea europaea) (standardized to 25% hydroxytyrosol)

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Swanson has one just like that (they offer about 5 different Olive Leaf Extracts) for less than half that price, 3rd party tested/trusted.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Going to give this a try tomorrow morning (picked up some maca and cocoa powders today).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
SAMe expensive but it works well for mood and joints, also great for liver.

the Walmart spring valley brand is what I go with. $25 for 40 400mg pills, I take 2 a day split doses.

surprised no one has mentioned tudca?

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

the Walmart spring valley brand is what I go with. $25 for 40 400mg pills, I take 2 a day split doses.

I wouldn’t call tudca underrated

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would say Ginger. It is cheap and you can pick it up at the grocery store.
Anti-oxidant, anti-inflammation, helps with doms. Good for sore joints.
Lower LDL and raises HDL, also lowers blood glucose levels.
Has anti-cancer properties
Enhances NO production to increase blood flow.
Anti-bacterial in the digestive tract. (can be harsh because it must be raw for this)
Supposed to be an aphrodisiac, but I never got that effect.

Takes some getting used to. But with food, I like the flavor with red meat.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hope you didn’t think I was being rude
lol...no, but those of us who have been around for awhile take how effective tudca is for granted, imo...some of the newer members may not be aware.

thanks for being considerate, I appreciate it!!!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Use TMG instead of SAMe - it is dirt cheap and converts to SAMe