What difference does your body see between a deload week and a rest week?

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What difference does your body see between a deload week and a rest week?
Would not training a body part one week, say your back, reset its sensitivity to training?

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
With deload weeks you are not going to decondition the muscle but just improve it’s recovery. I’m don’t believe you can decondition a miscle in one week. I take frequently a week off here and there and don’t loose any mass or strength. HST program has two weeks of deconditionning at the end of the program.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
With deload weeks you are not going to decondition the muscle but just improve it’s recovery. I’m don’t believe you can decondition a miscle in one week. I take frequently a week off here and there and don’t loose any mass or strength. HST program has two weeks of deconditionning at the end of the program.
HST actually recommends 9 days rest and you return to training on day 10

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are also resting the CNS and that can be a good thing

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Traditional “deloads” will typically reduce volume by half but keep your intensity (load) higher.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So same weight but half the reps?
You would reduce the intensity but not by a lot, typically 8-10%.

So you end your training with squats a 275x4x5r

Your deload would be around 250x2x5r

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You would reduce the intensity but not by a lot, typically 8-10%.

So you end your training with squats a 275x4x5r

Your deload would be around 250x2x5r
Thank you.
How often should you have a deload and how long should it be?

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So same weight but half the reps?
I do the opposite, I reduce weight but not reps. Keep my weight at about 70%.

I'm also doing a PHAT program and thats how they reccomend it. I do notice strength actually seems to go up some typically after a deload week. Every 3rd week is deload for me.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This^
Learn to read the signs early when you need a break and take some time off. Shouldn't need more than a week.
But when you take time off, say a week, there is little to no protein synthesis for a week. Whereas, going lighter, you still have protein synthesis, better muscle sparing.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
In 7 days you notice a difference? I have not seen any benefit to deloading over taking a break. I usually experience supercompensation when i take a week off only to come back stronger, bigger and mentally refreshed.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
But when you take time off, say a week, there is little to no protein synthesis for a week. Whereas, going lighter, you still have protein synthesis, better muscle sparing.
Sounds good on paper but most ppl will come back looking bigger and feeling stronger after taking a week off if it really was a needed break

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is not true. You will have protein synthesis from eating protein throughout the day. Less than when you lift, sure, but this logic of yours would say we should lift at least a little every single day to maximize MPS, but plenty of programs involve lifting only 3x a week, but produce solid gains.

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
If you are lifting heavy enough to tax your CNS, rest is your best friend. This is especially true as you get older. Listen to what your body is telling you and let it recover. Deload weeks are fine, but I have found that as I've gotten older a week of active recovery is more beneficial than deloading ( I do mostly powerlifting). Either way you are not going to regress in a week. More than likely you will come back at least where you left off but with fresh muscle and joints. Good luck to you.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is not true. You will have protein synthesis from eating protein throughout the day. Less than when you lift, sure, but this logic of yours would say we should lift at least a little every single day to maximize MPS, but plenty of programs involve lifting only 3x a week, but produce solid gains.
I don't wanna agree with this guy cus he's been getting on my nerves lately but he's 100% right.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So a week of would be helpful, neutral, or detrimental? Whenever I take a week off, I feel flat, and weaker. That is me though.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So a week of would be helpful, neutral, or detrimental? Whenever I take a week off, I feel flat, and weaker. That is me though.
I would make a 1000% guess you didn't need that week off. I have trained ppl and don't any more but still have plenty of friends that do. When someone is truly overtrained a week off does wonders. I'm finding less and less ppl that believe in deloads for building muscle. Power lifting is a different story

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would make a 1000% guess you didn't need that week off. I have trained ppl and don't any more but still have plenty of friends that do. When someone is truly overtrained a week off does wonders. I'm finding less and less ppl that believe in deloads for building muscle. Power lifting is a different story
How do I know if I am over trained?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That I can't pinpoint without knowing you or what your doing or how you train. When I think I'm overtrained muscles I didn't work feel sore and I feel burnt out

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Sorry for my lack of punctuation. I'm on vacation and can't help myself from checking am. Trying to fire out responses without getting yelled at for being on my phone

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That I can't pinpoint without knowing you or what your doing or how you train. When I think I'm overtrained muscles I didn't work feel sore and I feel burnt out
So if I have consecutive gym experiences where I am burned out in the gym, I need time off?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So if I have consecutive gym experiences where I am burned out in the gym, I need time off?
Still can't honestly say. It's hard to make assumptions without seeing it first hand. On a side note I used to find that the lower bf someone is, like ripped guys, burn out faster. I work construction we get burnt out faster, life stress. All things matter. I don't wanna say I know the answer to your problems if I 100% don't.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Still can't honestly say. It's hard to make assumptions without seeing it first hand. On a side note I used to find that the lower bf someone is, like ripped guys, burn out faster. I work construction we get burnt out faster, life stress. All things matter. I don't wanna say I know the answer to your problems if I 100% don't.
Fair enough.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I feel I have some good knowledge but I don't wanna bull**** someone about something I'm not sure about
No, I get it. Good to make informed recommendations.

Ryankirsch

Awards
Every couple months I take a full week off. I actually notice more and better gains when I start back up the following week. Rest is good and it's necessary if you have a intense program.
I have never used a deload week but plan to next time I am off cycle and doing my pct...then figure when I get back on cycle to hit it hard again....this is just an idea I thought of myself no specific program but seems logical to me