What’s your preference for macros when cutting?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Currently I’m 35% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fats with protein and carbs both being 221g and fats being 84g per day and it’s working well as I’ve lost 10lbs this way and no strength so far but I expect the weight loss to stagnate after awhile so I’ll drop carbs lower and raise fats and protein, and basically tot with my macros and start up fat loss again any time my diet stops working. Aside from this, what’re your guys go to’s for your cutting macros?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's exactly what I do as well. I will start my macros off somewhere around where you have them. Then once I hit a wall i lower carbs and increase protein and fats. Almost to where i'm doing keto toward the end of my cut.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just set My calories and make changes through Progression.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use similar macros. I use the exact same diet as when in a surplus only reduce the easy to adjust foods as and when I need to.

btothefman

Awards
Set protein based on Lean Body Mass, the rest of calories are split weighing towards carbs on training days and fats on rest days.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most effective is high protein but I normally go high fat medium protein low carbs year round to stay lean.

A high protein diet with lower fat abs carbs is extremely boring. I don't count calories or macros but I belive I'm around 4k year round with protein between 200-315 depending on if I'm on Cycle or not, carbs around 250 and fat 160+

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not a fan of percentages.

I set protein based on body weight. Then carbs based on activity and fill the rest with fat.

Starts decent fats but when I need to drop calories most comes from fat to start.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
50-60% protein, I adjust carbs/fat depending

jp21590

jp21590

Awards
  • First Up Vote
40% P 30% C 30% F - Will up the F to 35% and drop the C to 25% when I plateau.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I used to do percentages a lot. Looking back it got me nowhere. I never had the physique I truly wanted. Now I focus on getting .8-1 gram per pound of body weight and protein and manipulate fats and carbs according to how I feel, activity level, etc. it’s called intuitive eating. More protein doesn’t equal more muscle so I don’t go overboard on protein anymore either.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I set protein based on body weight. Then carbs based on activity and fill the rest with fat.

Starts decent fats but when I need to drop calories most comes from fat to start.
This is about what I do as well. It's a pretty good protocol to follow to make progress and like it dependent on activity level.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I feel like this is the perfect way to do it

deadliftqueen

deadliftqueen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I would say do a mini trial most people suggest 2 weeks for this but I feel like 3-4 would give your body more time to respond. Coaches and or macro websites don’t take into account how people’s body’s are different and how they respond to different foods. I’d suggest do 3-4 weeks of low carbs high fats and then high carbs low fats and compare/ take notes how you felt on each macro plan and then see which one your body responds to better to get the results you want. Not sure if that helps or answers really anything but just a little advice if your body isn’t responding how you want it too.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I just started a cut and am doing the same. High protein, carbs almost match my protein intake, and lowish fat. First time trying this ratio. I usually carb cycle, but I'm giving the RP diet app a try right now and this is what it's laid out for me.