What’s your Daily vitamin C dose?

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I aim for 3000mgs a day personally. I have seen enough research to point me in this direction. What do you guys try to get in?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For years, 6 grams per day but the past year has been 2g per day. When sick, I go up to 10g or more.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
For years, 6 grams per day but the past year has been 2g per day. When sick, I go up to 10g or more.
Solid! I have experimented with higher doses but it would randomly affect my stomach too much

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3g everyday? I do 3-5 just when I'm sick or when someone is sick in the house. It does seem to help. I haven't had a bad cold since supplementing this way.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
3g everyday? I do 3-5 just when I'm sick or when someone is sick in the house. It does seem to help. I haven't had a bad cold since supplementing this way.
Every day. I will up in if I feel sick but 3g is my maintenance dose. Lots of interesting research when it comes to humans not getting nearly enough vitamin c in their diets

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Solid! I have experimented with higher doses but it would randomly affect my stomach too much
Right on. Well, from what I've read, if you get stomach symptoms, then you're already at bowel tolerance and more won't help anyway. What dose does that happen with?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
500mg or so from my multi and maybe some other extra from any that is in other random supplements, but I don't go out of my way for high doses.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Right on. Well, from what I've read, if you get stomach symptoms, then you're already at bowel tolerance and more won't help anyway. What dose does that happen with?
Actually randomly. 3grams is about where it never happens. But anything north of that, I can do 10grams for a week and have zero issues and then develop it every day until I drop it back down to 3 lol when I’m sick I can definitely always do more though which I suppose makes sense.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Actually randomly. 3grams is about where it never happens. But anything north of that, I can do 10grams for a week and have zero issues and then develop it every day until I drop it back down to 3 lol when I’m sick I can definitely always do more though which I suppose makes sense.
Sounds about right. Do you monitor vitamin D also?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
1500mg when I'm eating lots of fruits and vegetables, 3000mg when I'm not. I use to take 5000mg.

I gotta be honest, I have done it this way out of habit. Weather I'm taking 1500, 5000 or zero, I never noticed a difference. Maybe I just get a lot of vc in general?.

Idk

I've also been told that the crowd that only takes vc when sick is wasting there time. Taking vitamin c daily is a preventative measure but it doesn't make you better once you are already sick. There's a study from way back that shows no improvement in recovery time from sickness, there's also studies saying it does help, who knows?

Regardless of how much I do or don't take I rarely get sick anyways. Maybe 2x year tops and it's usually a 24-48hr thing

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
1500mg when I'm eating lots of fruits and vegetables, 3000mg when I'm not. I use to take 5000mg.

I gotta be honest, I have done it this way out of habit. Weather I'm taking 1500, 5000 or zero, I never noticed a difference. Maybe I just get a lot of vc in general?.

Idk

I've also been told that the crowd that only takes vc when sick is wasting there time. Taking vitamin c daily is a preventative measure but it doesn't make you better once you are already sick.

Regardless of how much I do or don't take I rarely get sick anyways. Maybe 2x year tops and it's usually a 24-48hr thing
Some studies suggest that it does help white blood cells therefore shortening a sickness but I don’t think it’s a very significant amount of time. I have seen some interesting things about it being good for the prevention of aneurysms which is a pretty cool thing.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Idk

I've also been told that the crowd that only takes vc when sick is wasting there time. Taking vitamin c daily is a preventative measure but it doesn't make you better once you are already sick. There's a study from way back that shows no improvement in recovery time from sickness, there's also studies saying it does help, who knows?

I agree that vit C probably doesn't shorten illness by much if at all, but at high doses it does help bring down the severity of symptoms. Being sick for 5 days would be great compared to 7, but if those 7 weren't a big deal, then that's cool too.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I agree that vit C probably doesn't shorten illness by much if at all, but at high doses it does help bring down the severity of symptoms. Being sick for 5 days would be great compared to 7, but if those 7 weren't a big deal, then that's cool too.
Idk research is definitely mixed but if it does duration and severity seems at least possible. More so than preventative at least.

I’d probably agree tho that if it’s less severe that’s probably potentially better than shorter. 👍

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I do 3 grams per day and sometimes up it to 5 grams per day if anyone I've been around is sick.

Vitamin C Powder was one of those things that so many people asked us for but then once we offered one, no one talks about it haha.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Opinions vary - but you might find it interesting (I did) to read the conclusions reached by Linus Pauling, espcially if there is a family history of heart disease.
His stuff is actually what started my journey down the rabbit hole of vitamin c lol

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do 3 grams per day and sometimes up it to 5 grams per day if anyone I've been around is sick.

Vitamin C Powder was one of those things that so many people asked us for but then once we offered one, no one talks about it haha.
I think it’s an easily forgotten thing unless discussed in the moment and more discussions should be had on WHY taking certain amounts is so beneficial over the recommendation of what 90mgs a day by the government lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@HIT4ME also is a big believer in megadoses...haven't seen him in a while but maybe he can chime in.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think it’s an easily forgotten thing unless discussed in the moment and more discussions should be had on WHY taking certain amounts is so beneficial over the recommendation of what 90mgs a day by the government lol
I think that a lot of people in general misunderstand that the RDA's aren't meant to be the ideal dosages so much as they're the minimum dosages that are suggested to avoid having a deficiency. For example, consuming the RDA on Vitamin C may help you not get scurvy from being deficient in Vitamin C, but that wouldn't translate into an amount necessary for proper immune function.

On a funny note, scurvy makes me think about pirates and I still haven't taken down some of my Halloween decorations and as I type this I'm sitting at my table at my house and I'm sitting beside two pirate skeletons haha.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
@HIT4ME also is a big believer in megadoses...haven't seen him in a while but maybe he can chime in.
Yes, he does believe in mega doses. I think he just hasn't been on as much lately due to being busy in day to day life if I remember reading correctly.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Maybe I'll start just popping a 1g tablet a day at least when the kids are in school.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What back in the day I think Dorian Yates was telling guys to take 3000-5000mg 3x day. I also remember some trainers putting it in there program in mega doses similar to above.
I think I remember Charles Poliquin was recommending 2-10 grams after a workout. Something like that. I did it for a while.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think I remember Charles Poliquin was recommending 2-10 grams after a workout. Something like that. I did it for a while.
Charles P had some pretty wild recommendations for a vast majority of things, especially towards his later years. Always had trouble determining if they were actual beliefs or just an avenue to sell his highly overpriced product line.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yup, I'm the resident Vitamin C crackpot :) How you been man? Thanks for remembering me!

Idk

Honestly, I'm not sure where the sweet spot is. I have a 5 grams scoop and I just throw a scoop of powder into a gallon of water with Crystal Light daily and drink it. I think consistency is more important than dosing with a lot of nutritional supplements. Broccoli has a lot of benefits, but if you just eat it when you're sick it won't do a lot. If you eat it consistently, you will generally be healthier and fight colds more efficiently. I think Vitamin C and D are much the same way - with the exception that I do think that really mega dosing Vitamin C does appear to have some positive effects based on my real world trials. These are not controlled studies; I could just be believing in ghosts.

All I know is that I've had times where my family will catch a cold and be literally in bed for 1+ weeks and at the first symptoms I've started dosing 50-100 grams/day and I was over it in a day or two.

Getting sick 2X per year is pretty frequent though. When I'm taking Vitamin C at 3-5 grams/day I tend to not get sick for years....although again, this may just be me.

Yes, he does believe in mega doses. I think he just hasn't been on as much lately due to being busy in day to day life if I remember reading correctly.
Yes, I have been super busy. Working 80-90 hours a week trying to get a business open. It's been a hard year but a good year. I know your year has been WAY harder though. I can't imagine. I hope you're feeling better.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yup, I'm the resident Vitamin C crackpot :) How you been man? Thanks for remembering me!

Honestly, I'm not sure where the sweet spot is. I have a 5 grams scoop and I just throw a scoop of powder into a gallon of water with Crystal Light daily and drink it. I think consistency is more important than dosing with a lot of nutritional supplements. Broccoli has a lot of benefits, but if you just eat it when you're sick it won't do a lot. If you eat it consistently, you will generally be healthier and fight colds more efficiently. I think Vitamin C and D are much the same way - with the exception that I do think that really mega dosing Vitamin C does appear to have some positive effects based on my real world trials. These are not controlled studies; I could just be believing in ghosts.

All I know is that I've had times where my family will catch a cold and be literally in bed for 1+ weeks and at the first symptoms I've started dosing 50-100 grams/day and I was over it in a day or two.

Getting sick 2X per year is pretty frequent though. When I'm taking Vitamin C at 3-5 grams/day I tend to not get sick for years....although again, this may just be me.

Yes, I have been super busy. Working 80-90 hours a week trying to get a business open. It's been a hard year but a good year. I know your year has been WAY harder though. I can't imagine. I hope you're feeling better.
I’m sorry sir, did you say you take 50-100….grams a day when sick? So you take 10-20 scoops of powder?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Poliquin recommended some very high dosing and had a lot of his athletes on Vitamin C IV's.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Lol you got me beat. 20 grams is as much as I went up to with covid last time. Got it again lol This time only at 6 grams.

Edited.

Last edited:
GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
0mg

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’m sorry sir, did you say you take 50-100….grams a day when sick? So you take 10-20 scoops of powder?
Yeah, you read correctly. Haha. The shitz are unbelievable, and it can upset the stomach a little, but killing a cold in 8 hours when other people have had it for a week is a trade off I will take. Hit me once and hit me hard.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, you read correctly. Haha. The shitz are unbelievable, and it can upset the stomach a little, but killing a cold in 8 hours when other people have had it for a week is a trade off I will take. Hit me once and hit me hard.
Damn… you took it to levels I didn’t think possible. I will keep this in mind next time I’m sick. I salute you sir.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Damn… you took it to levels I didn’t think possible. I will keep this in mind next time I’m sick. I salute you sir.
This made me laugh out loud for real. Thanks.

I believe this is what Pauling suggested in some manner, and what a lot of the internet "crazies" recommend. I finally gave it a shot. 100 grams is pretty harsh. Make sure you have some soft toilet paper. 50 grams is bad but much much easier.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This made me laugh out loud for real. Thanks.

I believe this is what Pauling suggested in some manner, and what a lot of the internet "crazies" recommend. I finally gave it a shot. 100 grams is pretty harsh. Make sure you have some soft toilet paper. 50 grams is bad but much much easier.
I have that bidet attachment with heated seat and built in drier. I don’t play bro.

robshef

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Anyone have thoughts on which forms of vit c have most benefit, or are most fewest drawbacks? Just curious, I don't have much knowledge on the topic but have read some say ascorbic acid isn't the preferred form. Seems like one benefit I see mentioned quite often is when vit c taken in tandem with Collagen pre workout for best effect for joints, tendons, etc

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Anyone have thoughts on which forms of vit c have most benefit, or are most fewest drawbacks? Just curious, I don't have much knowledge on the topic but have read some say ascorbic acid isn't the preferred form. Seems like one benefit I see mentioned quite often is when vit c taken in tandem with Collagen pre workout for best effect for joints, tendons, etc
Ascorbic Acid is the cheapest and most convenient form and is fine for people that are going to mega dose it as long as it doesn't hurt your stomach.

Calcium Ascorbate is a great form for people that Ascorbic Acid hurts their stomachs. Calcium Ascorbate is known as Buffered C.

Liposomal Vitamin C is a trendy and heavily advertised form and may be better mg. for mg. than the others, BUT its so much more expensive the simple solution for most people is just to take more of the others. Also, because of the high cost of legit Liposomal Vitamin C raw materials there is a lot of label deception and outright BS Liposomal Vitamin C products on the market. (Great example of one where there are companies on Amazon that no ones ever heard of selling it at prices that are impossible if they were using legit raws).

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What about absorption? I thought at these kind of doses most of it is peed out?

I’m all in for higher dosing, especially traveling with a one year old, just curious. Been at 1 g a day for a long time, did 2-3g when I had covid

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Really? Do you intentionally get a lot from diet?
Honestly unsure .. its one of those vitamins i take when i get sick/cold/flu

i know it should be everyday supplement .. but i took it for a while and then stopped.
living in NY zinc & vitC should best friends .. only vit i take daily is vitD w/ potassium.

i should grab SNS vitC powder and start to throw it in amino/protein/pre .

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Isn’t too much vitamin c around workout counterproductive?
That's one of those things that people could make an argument either way on.

It's important to remember in context though that elite coaches like Charles Poliquin who work(ed) with high level athletes, Olympic athletes, etc. are more concerned with performance and recovery than physique.

I personally don't worry about Vitamin C timing around a workout. I take Vitamin C two to three times per day and I don't intentionally take it around my workout but I don't intentionally avoid taking it around my workout either. My workout times aren't very consistent so if the workout falls close to the Vitamin C timing, so be it; I don't think anything about it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You are going to get various opinions depending on how people want to frame this because the research is far from final or conclusive.

In general high levels of Vitamin C (and other antioxidants, although this depends on which particular antioxidant) tend to show impairments in the processes and signaling for things like endurance, strength, and hypertrophy. However despite these findings of mechanisms of action studies are less concrete showing actual blunted endurance, strength and hypertrophy.

So again as with most things it will probably depend on what, why and how much for determining how to proceed and that answer may differ for each individual.

I can link studies if anyone actually cares, but you won't find easy abstracts with answers it will take more deep study reading (which most don't tend to want to do).

Edit: Also potential caveat is these tend to be greater impairments in younger versus older athletes so some hypothesize that those with greater levels of "stress" (very loosely stated) may find greater utility.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
3-6g a night with a few IV’s a year of 20-50g depending on situation.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if it’s actually true but this is what I’ve always heard too, I keep my doses away from my workout when I can. I personally do 500 mg in the AM and 500 mg before bed with zinc (workout around lunch). On off days I’ll take a 3rd 500 mg dose mid-day too.

No idea if this is a good dose or not…feels like everyone around me has been sick for the last or so and I’ve been hanging in there okay but definitely haven’t been 100% the whole time, lol.

Good thread, interesting to see all of the different doses! I’ve always looked at vitamin C as one of those “it’s cheap and can’t hurt” type supplements.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Dosent vitamin C deplete other vitamins?
Not to any practical real life degree.

The only thing I can think of practically and I still wouldn't overly worry about it is that I take a sublingual methyl B12 and I do space that out an hour or two from my Vitamin C dose if I remember to, but I don't even think anything about it or worry about it if I do forget and take them close together.