What’s it like when you’re approaching / at your genetic limit?

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

As you approach your genetic potential I’d imagine you’d hit a lot of plateaus pretty often and only really inch forward in training volume and strength.

When you hit your genetic limit is it like hitting an endless plateau or will your strength fluctuate a little below your PB depending on how you slept, etc?

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve always looked at genetic limit in terms of aesthetics and how much muscle you can hold below 10 percent body fat not how strong you are. When you’re near your genetic limit it will be impossible to gain more muscle without getting fat and when you cut down you’ll always end up your leanest and best looking at that specific weight.

jdm23

Awards
  • Established

As you approach your genetic potential I’d imagine you’d hit a lot of plateaus pretty often and only really inch forward in training volume and strength.

When you hit your genetic limit is it like hitting an endless plateau or will your strength fluctuate a little below your PB depending on how you slept, etc?
Yeah for me my bench didn’t increase for a year. 275 for 1 was all i could get, somedays it was easy others i couldn’t get it. I tried all kinds of programs to build it but just couldn’t break past that, DR did some blood work, put me on trt and now it’s a slow and steady progression.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wish there was a way to calculate "genetic limit". Like, would the positions or length or angle of insertions and origins means that you can lift a specific amount of max weight etc.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wish there was a way to calculate "genetic limit". Like, would the positions or length or angle of insertions and origins means that you can lift a specific amount of max weight etc.
I’d say that you can slowly increase your strength limit for a longer period of time than your lean muscle mass limit at/near sub-10% body fat.

jdm23

Awards
  • Established
You can calculate your LBM genetic potential with some accuracy. There’s several different formulas that involve bone structure to estimate genetic potential for mass.

Now I’m not sure if there’s the same for strength, I would think it would be a lot more technical. Like you said your insertions, limb lengths, etc

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’m sure other factors such as how much endogenous testosterone, myostatin and follistatin you have factor in too. Additionally, there are probably some genes that allow a person to pack on more muscle for one reason or another.
On the specific issue of your max strength, genes such ACTN3 which largely dictate the ratio of fast twitch : slow twitch muscle fibres you have play a part. Some people probably also naturally have denser muscles

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don’t think many have ever hit that top peak of genetics

Most would either be happy with that they do get too or just jump on the gear

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought I was there. I changed my training a bit and managed to move along a little bit more. Still have not found that top layer with the new routine.

I use a site which has strength standards by age and weight and see I am close to the max before PEDs enter into calculations.

Mzakif

Mzakif

Awards
  • Established
I thought I was there. I changed my training a bit and managed to move along a little bit more. Still have not found that top layer with the new routine.

I use a site which has strength standards by age and weight and see I am close to the max before PEDs enter into calculations.
Can you pm that site

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
Do you need to spend as long training to maintain as you did to get to your peak?
Training becomes less a factor...diet becomes more of a factor and its effects on metabolism, recovery, etc...

You can "look" great but strength and performance gradually deteriorate no matter what you do. Its nature. You look for goals within yourself and other people your age. Its all relative.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Training becomes less a factor...diet becomes more of a factor and its effects on metabolism, recovery, etc...

You can "look" great but strength and performance gradually deteriorate no matter what you do. Its nature. You look for goals within yourself and other people your age. Its all relative.
Do you mean as you get older?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Me too please and in what ways did you change up your training? UCSMiami
Training partner who is stronger than me. So spotter, forced reps, competition and more squats reps,sets.