Weighing food

MBZ

Awards
Do you guys weigh your meats cooked or raw? And if measuring cooked what is the best way to determine calories?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
However the nutrition label is portioned for.
Or you can trust a database for simple meats (like mfp or a nutrition info database) in which case I go with cooked

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I think raw is more accurate because once its cooked chances are there will be sauces, oils and marinades that can skewer the weight measurement. If you are really OCD on MFP then weigh everything separately during your 'mis en place'. :)

Packages foods though are easy, just scan the nutritional label/barcode haha.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Technically raw is going to be more accurate but if you are consistent one way or the other I think it will balance out pretty much.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Technically raw is going to be more accurate but if you are consistent one way or the other I think it will balance out pretty much.
This. Its all about consistency. As long as you're doing it one way consistently you'll be fine. Most foods are labeled for raw weight though

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends.

Anything that you are adding water to, like oatmeal, pasta, rice etc. weigh it before. The absorbed water will add weight and it will not be accurate. For meats, you'll get mixed responses. I would say choose one method and stick with it. I weigh my meats cooked. I do this because it is easier to meal prep that way, in my opinion. I can cook up a week's worth of meat and just take out however many grams or ounces I need.

Also, if one cooks meat, it loses retained water. That is also why I choose to weigh it cooked.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I weigh cooked!

btothefman

Awards
Myfitnesspal database of foods has cooked and uncooked items if you forget to weigh before cooking. I like to weigh protein uncooked and carbs cooked, but if going very anal will weigh carbs uncooked to get the right weight then reportion based on the total cooked size.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Cooked unless the label specifically says uncooked.

R