Water Intake

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much water do you drink per day? Gallon per day? Glass per hour? 8 8oz cups per day?

I used to drink 2 gallons per day, but obviously the too much. Now I average about 10 8oz cups per day.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do a Minimum of 1 gallon. If I'm working outside, up to 2 gallons (although I do ha e to add some electrolytes).... And I've started using "liquid IV".... It helps me stay hydrated.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do a Minimum of 1 gallon. If I'm working outside, up to 2 gallons (although I do ha e to add some electrolytes).... And I've started using "liquid IV".... It helps me stay hydrated.
How do you space that out?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How do you space that out?
As needed ..... But I've started keeping a water with me at all times (when possible).
The Liquid IV, I drink anywhere from 1-4 quarts a day when I'm working (included in Total water).

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Drink around 2.5 gallons but have to add crystal light flavoring and piss every 20 minutes.

not really water so me posting here made no sense

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Drink around 2.5 gallons but have to add crystal light flavoring and piss every 20 minutes
Do you work outside? ... You may have already mentioned it, but I don't remember.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Drink around 2.5 gallons but have to add crystal light flavoring and piss every 20 minutes.

not really water so me posting here made no sense
For real? Have to had a cmp to see your electrolyte levels?

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I refill a 32oz (1 litre) water bottle about 3-4 times then I’ll have water with meals so around a gallon
That’s about the same as what I do and what I’ve found doesn’t have me in the restroom all day. There’s some extra fluids on training days (5 per week) with my pre and occasional post workout drinks as well.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys drink a **** ton of water. In general I will take in 80-100oz daily unless I am doing something that I am sweating my butt off.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I drink enough water to keep my urine a very light yellow color. No reason your urine needs to run clear. If it is you are probably drinking more water than you need and too much water is bad for your electrolyte balance as well because you piss a lot of them out. That being said most of the people I see on here with higher numbers also eat high sodium or supplement sodium like Renew1 is.

I would say I am with @kisaj and get in 80-100 oz on average and when outside and sweating a lot I drink more. Basically if my pee starts to darken at all I will increase water / fluid intake.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
as far as I know, that is an excessive amount of water unless you're specifically trying to do something or are on a cycle. @MrKleen73 hit the nail on the head. Glassman had started posting a ton of new research on (I think it's called) Hyponutremia? or something like that. Basically the pitfalls of drinking TOO MUCH water. I feel like @Hyde is the other scientist around here that may have more to offer.

But to answer your question I probably barely hit a gallon a day. probably right at a gallon if you include 2 cups of coffee, a redbull, etc. If my pee is yellowing, I drink more water. I do keep gatorade zero in stock (costco boxes of like 20) and will often grab one in the morning on my way to work, especially if I've been drinking booze.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
as far as I know, that is an excessive amount of water unless you're specifically trying to do something or are on a cycle. @MrKleen73 hit the nail on the head. Glassman had started posting a ton of new research on (I think it's called) Hyponutremia? or something like that. Basically the pitfalls of drinking TOO MUCH water. I feel like @Hyde is the other scientist around here that may have more to offer.

But to answer your question I probably barely hit a gallon a day. probably right at a gallon if you include 2 cups of coffee, a redbull, etc. If my pee is yellowing, I drink more water. I do keep gatorade zero in stock (costco boxes of like 20) and will often grab one in the morning on my way to work, especially if I've been drinking booze.
Well that formula doesn't seem like too bad of a formula with me at 214 it would be 107oz of water a day so still less than a gallon. While I don't think that needs to be my minimum based on activity level and or sweating it is probably not likely to cause me any electrolyte loss issues. Especially since I do not make any effort to limit sodium, and make an effort to get in 3500mg of potassium. However some people get into excess, I just auto regulate based on urine being a very light yellow.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As a rule of thumb, the MINIMUM amount of water you should drink is = weight/2. Other factors may require a lot more than that.
FWIW if you are going to provide a formula you need to use units. While it may seem obvious to some that this is pounds and ounces, not everyone uses those as their standard measurements.

That said that used to be the easy guideline I'd give people if they really needed a water number to shoot for. Also aiming for half your bodyweight in pounds as ounces drank per day can be a good first goal for someone new to the health realm as a way to gauge what level of other info they may be ready to tackle and a way to gauge their own actual readiness for change.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
FWIW if you are going to provide a formula you need to use units. While it may seem obvious to some that this is pounds and ounces, not everyone uses those as their standard measurements.

That said that used to be the easy guideline I'd give people if they really needed a water number to shoot for. Also aiming for half your bodyweight in pounds as ounces drank per day can be a good first goal for someone new to the health realm as a way to gauge what level of other info they may be ready to tackle and a way to gauge their own actual readiness for change.
Excellent point, thank you. Yes, the individual's body weight in pounds/2 = minimum number ounces of water per day.

And just to say - your suggestion was very nicely stated. Well done.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
About a gallon a day. Unless I'm having blood work and than around 1.5

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
How much water do you drink per day? Gallon per day? Glass per hour? 8 8oz cups per day?

I used to drink 2 gallons per day, but obviously the too much. Now I average about 10 8oz cups per day.
I bring a 1 gallon jug to work with me every day and drink it between 7am and 5pm, on top of that il drink 2 coffees, il have another 20oz water intra workout, and il have another 16-32 oz of various beverages before I go to bed, it's usually a flavored water or diet soda with dinner and some lactose free milk after dinner with my dessert or last meal depending on the day.

So about 1.5 gallons I'd say

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
During the summer when I'm ballz deep in a construction site job il drink upwards of 2 gallons a day and il sweat so much il never even take a piss, in my humble opinion, if your not pissing clear or close to clear at least once a day you should probably drink more water unless your a sedentary person.

A fully hydrated muscle does everything better and there are some studies that suggest that 75% of America is chronically dehydrated and another 18% is dehydrated. That means that only %7 of America is probably hydrated.

Take that with a grain of salt, I'm sure there's flaws in that study but you get my point

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I also believe some folks don't concentrate enough on hydration !!

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Usually anywhere between 1 - 1.5 gallons per day. I don't calculate it anymore but know how much I'm drinking from having calculated it in the past. I also sip on water throughout the entire day so I would say I drink it fairly evenly throughout the day (other than sleeping).

lamarclark09

Awards
I drink 2.5 gallons of water daily and drink 2-3 glasses per hour.