Water Filtration - Drinking optomal H2O

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone use home systems (filtering the tap water)?

Which is superior and why

digitalducki

digitalducki

Awards
  • Established
Not that I know why, but I've heard the best of the bunch are the "reverse osmosis" filters and to avoid the carbon filters. I don't have one (yet) but plan on it when I do my kitchen remodel/relocate

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's DD

Anyone else got some insight ?

Not that I know why, but I've heard the best of the bunch are the "reverse osmosis" filters and to avoid the carbon filters. I don't have one (yet) but plan on it when I do my kitchen remodel/relocate

n87

Awards
  • Established
I have tried a few undersink ones. The best tasting water was from Crystal clear triple filtration unit. They're notorious for having bad seals and developing leaks. We ended up upgrading to another unit from a different manufacturer, the water wasn't as good, but there was a fluoride cartridge included. There are very few companies out there that offer fluoride filtration. Both units were around $120.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks !

I have tried a few undersink ones. The best tasting water was from Crystal clear triple filtration unit. They're notorious for having bad seals and developing leaks. We ended up upgrading to another unit from a different manufacturer, the water wasn't as good, but there was a fluoride cartridge included. There are very few companies out there that offer fluoride filtration. Both units were around $120.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Water is filtered anyway. Tap water has more trace minerals which makes it the bettet option

Touey

Touey

Awards
what about the alkalinity water machines they have actually whole store about these day dedicated to these especially in certain areas very health oriented populations.
I have researched plus talk with people up and down say most wonderful things about these to HIGH energy/healing on an on
..still touey not sold on these/ would I like to still hear some bros what they to think though here

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
what about the alkalinity water machines they have actually whole store about these day dedicated to these especially in certain areas very health oriented populations.
I have researched plus talk with people up and down say most wonderful things about these to HIGH energy/healing on an on
..still touey not sold on these/ would I like to still hear some bros what they to think though here
What do they change the pH of the water to? I cbf'd googling

n87

Awards
  • Established
I have read that tap water is much better for you.
Maybe it is, but municipal water where I live has fluoride added to it. Plus the city pipes aren't in that great of a condition.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Maybe it is, but municipal water where I live has fluoride added to it. Plus the city pipes aren't in that great of a condition.
Why against added fluoride? Im aware of what fluoride is capable of doing at high doses, but the amount added in water is rather small

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why against added fluoride? Im aware of what fluoride is capable of doing at high doses, but the amount added in water is rather small
Indeed. It also has dental benefits with studies to back it. Stores sell purified water +fluoride.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I use a Zero Water fridge unit, but im in for some advanced water discussion. :D. I was pretty shocked at how well the water tasted from it, as we're my friends.

My parents get Ionized water from their friend. Taste wise, it's nothing special. I'm curious if it's really any better for you vs other types of machines. I don't like drinking the Ionized water they get though. I don't know if it's the water itself or the plastic containers they put it in, but it always have floaties.

Touey

Touey

Awards
I use a Zero Water fridge unit, but im in for some advanced water discussion. :D. I was pretty shocked at how well the water tasted from it, as we're my friends.

My parents get Ionized water from their friend. Taste wise, it's nothing special. I'm curious if it's really any better for you vs other types of machines. I don't like drinking the Ionized water they get though. I don't know if it's the water itself or the plastic containers they put it in, but it always have floaties.
right the ionized / alkaline

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Indeed. It also has dental benefits with studies to back it. Stores sell purified water +fluoride.
Seems like you can find claims of positive and also negative claims on Flouride and it's effects on the oral cavity.

Where's Powercage, I'm only a Ceramist. :D

Touey

Touey

Awards
Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seems like you can find claims of positive and also negative claims on Flouride and it's effects on the oral cavity. Where's Powercage, I'm only a Ceramist. :D
Lol. True. I don't put much stock into many studies anyways haha. I feel safe using it although I rarely drink tap water.

Touey

Touey

Awards
Up until recently, the scientific opinion of hydration was that all you need to worry about is whether the water you ingest is verifiably clean. However, a substantial body of NEW scientific research into the benefits of "electrolyzed-reduced" or "alkaline water" has yielded an range of potential benefits. PubMed (published by the National Institutes of Health) lists nearly 100 double-blinded, peer-reviewed articles describing demonstrated benefits of alkaline water tested in both human and animal studies. While it's true the resting pH of the body is relatively stable at 7.35-7.45, the benefits of alkaline water have more to do with the performance of the water in the body than with the pH of the body. For instance, in studies conducted in Switzerland at the Lausanne University Hospital, calcium resorption was evidenced to be dramatically reduced in osteoporosis patients fed naturally-occurring alkaline water. (The scientists anticipate similar results for alkaline water produced by electrolyzed-reduced ionization.) Other studies evidence increased absorption of nutritional supplements when ingested with alkaline water; and absorption is decreased as the acidity of the water is increased. So, while it's true that unscrupulous manufacturers of some ionizing devices may make exaggerated claims for their products, there are reliable manufacturers making claims well within the range supported by recent science. For instance, Enagic—a major manufacturer of ionizing appliances—recently published a list of claims for alkaline water based on the science reported by the NIH and other reliable scientific sources. And in addition to the benefits of alkaline water, a growing number of applications are being found for the acidic water byproduct produced in the ionization process. Acidic water is reported to be a superior agent for cleaning and a non-polluting agent in procedures that traditionally have relied on environmentally dangerous solvents and salts, such as industrial cleaning and swimming pool sanitation. While the research is ongoing, the findings are uniformly compelling to support a number of reliable claims for the benefits of drinking alkaline water and using acidic water as a "green" solution for a number of cleaning procedures that once insisted on environment-risking solvents and other polluting agents. The greatest risk to the advancement of water science is presented by the uninformed and the under-informed whose opinions are based upon old science or no science. For instance, to suggest "the machines don't make water alkaline" is to fly in the face of dozens of scientific studies that rely on electrolyzed-reduction to produce alkaline water. Such opinion usually is advanced without scientific verification by persons who have neither credentials nor education in the emerging science of alkaline water benefits.
Source:

Postgraduate Symposium: Positive influence of ... [Proc Nutr Soc. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Postgraduate Symposium: Positive influence of ... [Proc Nutr Soc. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Enagic USA, Inc. | Kangen Water® is a trademark of Enagic USA.
Enhanced induction of mitochondria... [Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
Acid-base balance and hydration status... [J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
If I was drinking "city water" rather than from my well, I'd seriously consider the reverse osmosis business rather than the carbon filters in the hopes that it might help with pharmaceutical contamination, unless someone's developed biological filters that can do it yet (last news I see of it is 2012)... a few decades of minute birth control doses might impact a man. Actually, wells in livestock regions seem to be way worse from a quick search, so... not so minute there.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Tap water in the US is exceptionally clean. It is heavily regulated (moreso than any other country) and is even cleaner than bottled water for the most part.

n87

Awards
  • Established
I do realize that however I don't like the idea of drinking, showering in, cooking, watering my garden with fluoride laced water. I will worry about myself and my family and the government doesn't need to do that. Just my opinions

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
GET JACK3D WITH ALKALINE WATER!!!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I do realize that however I don't like the idea of drinking, showering in, cooking, watering my garden with fluoride laced water. I will worry about myself and my family and the government doesn't need to do that. Just my opinions
The amounts really are small and, just as speculation without looking at any data, i would assume that the doses at which harm occurs are far greater than typical normal exposure.

I may be wrong but to me this is akin to people saying caffeine is dangerous because one person used 10g at once despite normal intakes being less than a tenth of that dose.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The amounts really are small and, just as speculation without looking at any data, i would assume that the doses at which harm occurs are far greater than typical normal exposure.

I may be wrong but to me this is akin to people saying caffeine is dangerous because one person used 10g at once despite normal intakes being less than a tenth of that dose.
Hey, at least he can still dance!

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards

From what I've read Fluoride competes with Iodine and Bromine for thyroid uptake. Generally small amounts of Fluoride can be disposed of if Iodine levels are adequate which happens to be a problem for allot of people.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've always used Brita pitcher filters. No idea if it improves things or makes it worse, but I refill plastic bottles for a while with that.

Now how many water laws am I breaking?