Unanswered Vitamin C, Glutamine, Vanadyl Sulfate; Any Research to See If Worth It?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

In some bodybuilding programs, they recommend Vitamin C, Glutamine, and Vanadyl Sulfate to help repair.

But, does it actually work?

1. Vitamin C:

For regular Americans, they get twice the recommended daily allowance of all vitamins (except Iron). So, more vitamins are not worth it.

Yet, for active people, I am not sure if more is helpful.

2. Glutamine

Supposedly, it helps recovery, especially when done pre-workout, post-workout and before bed.

Any actual research?

3. Vanadyl Sulfate is an insulin mimicker. But, I wonder if it works well. I have tried it and did not notice anything different.

Any research on what actually works?

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Vitamin c: the more active you are, the more you will need for synthesis of collagen , immune support, inhibition of peroxynitrite formation, etc.

Glutamine is one of the most underrated supps,imho, not for cellular swelling but for gut health. The gut takes more punishment than we tend to think, especially with high intensity exercise. Glutamine helps to rebuild the lining of the gut. Anecdotally speaking, every time that I have made huge jumps in muscle mass, large doses of glutamine intra workout ( replacing carbs gram for gram) were utilized.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Read up on some guys high dosing vitamin C at 3,4,5 grams+ a day. It has it's benefits based on the said individual and individual needs. Not saying it's for everyone but the benefits are there.

Daily allowance is complete bunk for any comparisons sake BTW from an RDA standpoint.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Vitamin c: the more active you are, the more you will need for synthesis of collagen , immune support, inhibition of peroxynitrite formation, etc.

Glutamine is one of the most underrated supps,imho, not for cellular swelling but for gut health. The gut takes more punishment than we tend to think, especially with high intensity exercise. Glutamine helps to rebuild the lining of the gut. Anecdotally speaking, every time that I have made huge jumps in muscle mass, large doses of glutamine intra workout ( replacing carbs gram for gram) were utilized.
Well yes gram for gram 5-8 grams is like 60 grams of carbs . Totally worth the trade off . Less calories and less bloating.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well yes gram for gram 5-8 grams is like 60 grams of carbs . Totally worth the trade off . Less calories and less bloating.
where did you get this from?

Charles Poliquin (rip) recommend glutamine in place of carbs many many years ago as in 2002.

Vit C I cycle when im training really intense ill take three-four grams a day maybe for two months. Then I might it in half for six weeks.

L glutamine ive been taking since 2002. I usually take ten grams a day , maybe more.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Most Americans get twice the daily amount of all vitamins? I'd highly, highly dispute that lol.

For Vitamin C a dose of 500mg or thereabouts every few hours is better than slamming down a multi gram tablet once a day for half life purposes. Daily Values are typically quite low as it's usually based on the lowest recommended amount to avoid deficiencies as opposed to being an optimal amount

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Most Americans get twice the daily amount of all vitamins? I'd highly, highly dispute that lol.

For Vitamin C a dose of 500mg or thereabouts every few hours is better than slamming down a multi gram tablet once a day for half life purposes. Daily Values are typically quite low as it's usually based on the lowest recommended amount to avoid deficiencies as opposed to being an optimal amount
Agree, that’s nearly impossible. Want to see just look at the requirement for potassium, just to get that day in and day out is ridiculously hard.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
in regards to what? Decreasing cortisol, glycogen replenishment, insulin release?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote