Vince Gironda Steak and eggs diet - You tried it?

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Has anyone tried Vince Gironda Steak and eggs diet? Does it work, concerns, thoughts....

Here is the entire diet. You only eat 2x a day, breakfast/lunch or lunch/dinner.

Meal #1 - 3/4 lb - 1 1/2 pounds of steak, and 4-6 eggs with butter, raw, or anyway you want to eat them.
Meal #2 - exactly the same as meal number 1.
Every 5th day is a “cheat day” eat whatever you want.
Repeat

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
its just keto + IF basically... nothing special. get enough cals and itll work just fine (like anything else).

prob need to include some fruits and veggies tho or a good greens supp to make up for the lack of vitmains and minerals

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I thought about this before but just adding broccoli
Steak eggs and broccoli diet

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
its just keto + IF basically... nothing special. get enough cals and itll work just fine (like anything else).
prob need to include some fruits and veggies tho or a good greens supp to make up for the lack of vitmains and minerals
Yea, its an old school diet, I know it works, but seems boring as hell. Def not going to get enough nutrition from it. Seems like a slightly modified version could yield the same results, and not be as bad for you.

I thought about this before but just adding broccoli Steak eggs and broccoli diet
Steak is $$$$ wonder if chicken, eggs, broccoli (altering sweat potatoes) mix would work the same.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
True
Maybe go with some ground beef instead too maybe cheaper and still. Beef
Not something you can do forever but you get the best protein and fat sources with this diet and broccoli the best veggie
But could be worth trying for a few weeks one day depending on what changes you can see quickly and what body fat percentage you start at
Maybe one day I'll try it
I wouldn't get bored with it at least love me some steak and eggs

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
True
Maybe go with some ground beef instead too maybe cheaper and still. Beef
Not something you can do forever but you get the best protein and fat sources with this diet and broccoli the best veggie
But could be worth trying for a few weeks one day depending on what changes you can see quickly and what body fat percentage you start at
Maybe one day I'll try it
I wouldn't get bored with it at least love me some steak and eggs

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I want to give it a try (modified), it would take me about 1-2 weeks to get board of it. I would like to run it for about 3 weeks to see what happens.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yea, its an old school diet, I know it works, but seems boring as hell. Def not going to get enough nutrition from it. Seems like a slightly modified version could yield the same results, and not be as bad for you.

Steak is $$$$ wonder if chicken, eggs, broccoli (altering sweat potatoes) mix would work the same.
throwing in sweet potatos would drastically change this diet from a keto to non... totally different concept there.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
throwing in sweet potatos would drastically change this diet from a keto to non... totally different concept there.
Ahhh, true. Guess I would need to stick with Spinach, Broccoli, Cauliflower... those are all low carb. Man, I dont know if I can swing this diet. While it seems appealing, I think I can achieve fat loose without restricting my diet so much.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't think it's restrictive tbh. I could never eat like this on a standard diet!! An almost all meat diet is amazing... all that fat, juicy meat, all the time. BACON!!!! EVERYDAY, ALL DAY

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I don't think it's restrictive tbh. I could never eat like this on a standard diet!! An almost all meat diet is amazing... all that fat, juicy meat, all the time. BACON!!!! EVERYDAY, ALL DAY
HAHA, I actually did the Atkins diet years ago and dropped like 30-lbs. I loved eating a gross amount of bacon!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Bacon wrapped avocados! Bacon wrapped steak, bacon wrapped everything hehe.. I love the diet

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
what do i use to substitute for the meat im a vegetarian?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I did this diet when I ran keto. I actually see better results off steak and eggs, since it's essentially a true zero carb intake. My only alteration was I went weeks before carb ups or cheat meals and I had at least 3-4 meals. He was also a proponent of limiting water intake during meals as well. The lack of veggies was no issue, my digestion adapted. As long as I had fats in my meats I was good.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I did this diet when I ran keto. I actually see better results off steak and eggs, since it's essentially a true zero carb intake. My only alteration was I went weeks before carb ups or cheat meals and I had at least 3-4 meals. He was also a proponent of limiting water intake during meals as well. The lack of veggies was no issue, my digestion adapted. As long as I had fats in my meats I was good.
How did you feel in the steak and eggs only? Energy wise and lack of full ness due to no carbs
It sounds tasty as well as decently anabolic in a sense due to it being red meat and eggs with all them saturated fats and egg yolks in there

How was your overall results and appearance after?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How did you feel in the steak and eggs only? Energy wise and lack of full ness due to no carbs
It sounds tasty as well as decently anabolic in a sense due to it being red meat and eggs with all them saturated fats and egg yolks in there

How was your overall results and appearance after?
Well Im no stranger to keto, so energy initially is a struggle when you fat adapt, once that's out the way the energy is great. Constant, just as good as on carbs, but the key is keeping the fats in there.

As far as fullness, without carbs your going to be flat. Mentally it's a mind fu#& because you think your getting smaller. After that carb up though you realize you didn't. Fat loss wise this diet is king. If you can do it and not eat ANY carbs you will lose fat no problem.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Well Im no stranger to keto, so energy initially is a struggle when you fat adapt, once that's out the way the energy is great. Constant, just as good as on carbs, but the key is keeping the fats in there.

As far as fullness, without carbs your going to be flat. Mentally it's a mind fu#& because you think your getting smaller. After that carb up though you realize you didn't. Fat loss wise this diet is king. If you can do it and not eat ANY carbs you will lose fat no problem.
Nice

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
what do i use to substitute for the meat im a vegetarian?
better life choices.

Also, a different diet that has nothing to do with this tread.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

what about all the vitamins and minerals that your diet will be missing? I assume you went with a pretty solid multi and maybe some other additions to supplement?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
what about all the vitamins and minerals that your diet will be missing? I assume you went with a pretty solid multi and maybe some other additions to supplement?
Yea I mean my vitamin regimen is very comprehensive. It didn't change for that diet, but I'm pretty much covered either ways no matter what my diet is. One things for certain, affording the steak and egg diet is a whole nother battle lol. And the better cuts of meat i find digest better unless you go with ground beef. All in all its not easy to digest beef all day everyday but it works.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just a piggy back off of this conversation. What I took from this diet was the absolute zero carb aspect. I also found that I stay very lean on steak and if I can deal with the digestion I look the driest when I eat it. I do this for my keto:
Coconut oil, grass fed butter, free range eggs, salmon, steak, chicken, pork, turkey

I really like these sources for food. Also if fiber is an issue spinach and broccoli

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just a piggy back off of this conversation. What I took from this diet was the absolute zero carb aspect. I also found that I stay very lean on steak and if I can deal with the digestion I look the driest when I eat it. I do this for my keto:
Coconut oil, grass fed butter, free range eggs, salmon, steak, chicken, pork, turkey

I really like these sources for food. Also if fiber is an issue spinach and broccoli
volume is always my issue with keto diets in general... I have a voracious appetite and even eating it all in 1-2 meals/day its just not all that satisfying.

Same as you tho, it gets me dry and tight like nothing else.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
volume is always my issue with keto diets in general... I have a voracious appetite and even eating it all in 1-2 meals/day its just not all that satisfying.

Same as you tho, it gets me dry and tight like nothing else.
Exactly. I mean I still do my 5-7 meals, more like 5 though because I won't do snacks or meals and I've found that the whole subtract fiber from carbs thing is great for low carb, but for me to get into ketosis for whatever reason I just have to eliminate all that stuff.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Exactly. I mean I still do my 5-7 meals, more like 5 though because I won't do snacks or meals and I've found that the whole subtract fiber from carbs thing is great for low carb, but for me to get into ketosis for whatever reason I just have to eliminate all that stuff.
same here... even low carbs, from mostly fiber (talking like 30g carbs total including fiber) doesn't have me look the same as zero.

how high are your cals or how crazy small are your meals tho that you can still do 5 meals on a diet like this?!

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
I have, and like many have posted here, it's basically an introduction to Keto. I recommend it and liked it for when I started cutting weights for an upcoming fight 8 weeks out. Like others have posted, the closer to my fight I would add more veggies and switch to chicken/turkey to tighten and shrink the muscles. Anything Vince Gironda has taught I recommend trying. Even if for only a few weeks.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like doing 4 meals on keto, and snacking on hardboiled eggs w/casein. Or snack on hamburger patties, and bacon. *drools*

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
same here... even low carbs, from mostly fiber (talking like 30g carbs total including fiber) doesn't have me look the same as zero.

how high are your cals or how crazy small are your meals tho that you can still do 5 meals on a diet like this?!
Well I've done around 2-3000. Alot of the times I'd do hamburger patties as a meal, which only would equate to 290-400 Cal's depending on fat content. This is the only diet I can consume such small meals without cravings too.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I will try this eggs and steak diet in 2 weeks,

i am currently running PSMF, with 6gs omega 3 and OL Tr1iumph included as 159 of my calories and 14 grams of my fat with the other 900 coming from 2 chicken breasts, and 2 protein shakes 25g whey and 25g casein 50/50 in each.

pissed at weight in today because i was down 2.75lbs last wednesday and now weighed in this morning Sunday 3-4 days later at exact same weight, scales are not always best for tracking progress because mirror has improved since past week.

for this eggs and steak diet i am going to do 2 meals per day,

1 @ 12:00pm, midday after 16+ hour fast which will be 12 whole eggs cooked in 6 grams of coconut oil.

2 @ 4:30 - 5:30pm post workout which will be 400g of beef mince cooked with another 6 grams of coconut oil.

I have calculated totals for omlette,400g mince + tr1umph + omega 3 @:

1627Kcal, 156g pro, 104g fat.

156 * 4 = 624

104 * 9 = 936

somehow grams of fat + protein equate to 1560 vs the 1627 i have.

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
I like that you have detailed this project and you are goal oriented. Curious, are you low carb/ Keto already? Just wondering if your body is fat adapted or will your body convert the excess protein into glycogen when needed. Can't wait to hear how you do.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I like that you have detailed this project and you are goal oriented. Curious, are you low carb/ Keto already? Just wondering if your body is fat adapted or will your body convert the excess protein into glycogen when needed. Can't wait to hear how you do.
Currently running PSMF, macros work out at around 168-175 grams of protein, 20-28 grams of carbs coming from protein powders and chicken breasts, and then 24-30 grams of fat coming from whey shakes and chicken breasts the omega 3 oil and tr1umph, i have been testing for ketosis using ketostix, and am showing trace to moderate before going to sleep after all meals are consumed also this is after consuming 8-9 litres of water so urine levels are expected to be diluted.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I'm itching to try this
Just still freaks me out not havin carbs. Now that I train fasted 5 am it freaks me out not having anything till after 10 am or so
I am trying this week eggs along with 85/15 ground beef cooked in cocunut oil and butter and some redskin potatoes and broccoli for my breakfastat at 10 and lunch at 2
Then dinner at 6 is whatever the wife cooks , usually chicken and a side , usually rice
My carbs are still down from what they normally were I'm at about 100grams a day from 200 in previous months now and fats are up , protein is down a little since I haven't had as many shakes lately
Just trying to focus on food
I may sip on an Isopure throughout the day though .

I am starting the 6x6 rep range this week too

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I'm itching to try this
Just still freaks me out not havin carbs. Now that I train fasted 5 am it freaks me out not having anything till after 10 am or so
I am trying this week eggs along with 85/15 ground beef cooked in cocunut oil and butter and some redskin potatoes and broccoli for my breakfastat at 10 and lunch at 2
Then dinner at 6 is whatever the wife cooks , usually chicken and a side , usually rice
My carbs are still down from what they normally were I'm at about 100grams a day from 200 in previous months now and fats are up , protein is down a little since I haven't had as many shakes lately
Just trying to focus on food
I may sip on an Isopure throughout the day though .

I am starting the 6x6 rep range this week too
I ran Keto from Dec 2014 through to March 2016 this year with no problems, my 1st meal at 12:00pm after 16 hour fast was always a 3 whole egg 3 egg white omelette with around 50 grams of reduced fat cheese cooked in 6 grams of coconut oil, this was also usually my last meal at 7-7.30pm never became bored of eggs. also then post workout i would have a mix of whey with peanut butter and then 200 grams of chicken or beef with broccoli so around 4-5 meals per day, once i switched over from carbs and into ketosis i found no difference in strength levels that when eating carbs but found no dips in energy throughout the day and less overall hunger.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I ran Keto from Dec 2014 through to March 2016 this year with no problems, my 1st meal at 12:00pm after 16 hour fast was always a 3 whole egg 3 egg white omelette with around 50 grams of reduced fat cheese cooked in 6 grams of coconut oil, this was also usually my last meal at 7-7.30pm never became bored of eggs. also then post workout i would have a mix of whey with peanut butter and then 200 grams of chicken or beef with broccoli so around 4-5 meals per day, once i switched over from carbs and into ketosis i found no difference in strength levels that when eating carbs but found no dips in energy throughout the day and less overall hunger.
Nice , yeah that's along time. How well did you maintain and gain muscle and stay lean?
Did you have any carb days at all during this time? I was also worried about fiber intake
I'm so use to eating oats and brown rice and all for years and I honestly am learning most of the guidelines we have been taught over the years are individual , not everybody needs the same recommendations. I thought I would have a hard time takin a **** honestly without oats and brown rice but I think I was goin way too much before , I cut them out the last few weeks, almost like a paleo or grain free approach for most of my diet lately and I think the extra fat I have had kinda helps instead of fiber.
Mostly meat eggs and potatoes for now , will see how this goes for now , I gotta try not to change too many things at once , I always end up doing that and then never no what exactly was workin and what wasn't . As long as progress on my lifts and stay where I'm at now I should see some progress .

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I maintained lower overall bodyfat levels by sticking to keto, i started for the 1st month with only carb up being Christmas day, then i went all through the beginning of 2015 until Easter before having my 2nd carb up, then once overall goal of fat loss was reached i would have a carb up / re-feed day every Sunday and found that worked well.

for fiber i was adding psyllium to shakes which works well and was still eating plenty of spinach and broccoli.

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Gotcha , thanks for the feedback , yeah definitely would do the broccoli and spinach myself , my too go to greens , asparagus too

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I'm so use to eating oats and brown rice and all for years and I honestly am learning most of the guidelines we have been taught over the years are individual , not everybody needs the same recommendations. I thought I would have a hard time takin a **** honestly without oats and brown rice but I think I was goin way too much before , I cut them out the last few weeks, almost like a paleo or grain free approach for most of my diet lately and I think the extra fat I have had kinda helps instead of fiber.
I tried almost the exact same thing. I was on a normal BB diet, and attempted paleo. All I had to do was cut out my oats, and milk... Let me tell you, I crashed hard after 3-days. I consider diets good guidelines, but depending on the person, and activitiey level, I think things need to be tweaked.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
My sleep deprived brain first read your thread title as Vince Garza's...diet.

I was like why on earth would anyone follow a word out of this asshat's mouth?! Lmao sorry, you can now go back on topic.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I maintained lower overall bodyfat levels by sticking to keto, i started for the 1st month with only carb up being Christmas day, then i went all through the beginning of 2015 until Easter before having my 2nd carb up, then once overall goal of fat loss was reached i would have a carb up / re-feed day every Sunday and found that worked well.

for fiber i was adding psyllium to shakes which works well and was still eating plenty of spinach and broccoli.
I did a strict keto diet along time ago. I was overweight at the time, but lost 30 pounds because of it.

When I originally posted about the steak and eggs diet, I was definitely thinking about trying it. But then was reminded what I felt like recently when I remove my carbs a couple months ago.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
My sleep deprived brain first read your thread title as Vince Garza's...diet.

I was like why on earth would anyone follow a word out of this asshat's mouth?! Lmao sorry, you can now go back on topic.
Hahaha!!

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday was day 1 of steak and eggs,

Previous day was PSMF/ Rapid Fat Loss on Sunday which worked out at around 1000 Kcals including 170-180g protein + 6g Omega 3 and 1 serving OL Tr1umph,

For the meals I started meal 1 at 12:30pm 6 whole eggs and 250 grams of lean mince 5% fat, 6g coconut oil and 6g omega 3 oil and 1 serving OL Tr1umph,

I have also dropped intra workout Xtend perform 2 scoops and 1 scoops of regular Xtend due to it possibly being converted to glucose and slowing down fat loss whilst running in a deficit.

Second meal was 6 whole eggs and 250 grams of lean mince 5% fat again at 6:30pm,

Total calories worked out at 1799Kcal, around 180g protein and 110g fat.

Today I have dropped the lean mince down to 200g for M1 and M2 to bring totals to 1627Kcal, 156g pro, 104g fat.

I will be testing for Ketosis over next couple of days and consider lowering protein if I am not registering on ketostix.

Yesterday was rough, energy levels felt poor and I was way more lethargic than normal, also to meet micros I have been supplementing with orange triad, 3 tabs with each main meal, I feel 2 meals a day I harder to get used to from usual 4-6 but hunger did not seem to be a problem yesterday.

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
Yes! Finally someone who listens to the idea that BCAAs WILL kick you out of ketosis and in many people will soften a strong looking 6 pack.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
Yes! Finally someone who listens to the idea that BCAAs WILL kick you out of ketosis and in many people will soften a strong looking 6 pack.
I'll update after this 1 week straight off using BCAA's, i do feel i was more ripped prior and had deeper abs and shoulder striations prior to ever using them and just following a keto diet.

paul56778

paul56778

Awards
  • Established
I will check for Ketones again tonight using ketostix prior to bed, but i am drinking 6 litres of water per day so this may give false reading.

do you feel 150-160 grams of protein is too high for ketosis to occur.

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
It's pushing the upper limit. But I think you'll be okay. I like to have high, med, low days. 160, 130, 110.