USPlabs asks: WHY DO YOU EAT? Answer and Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It may seem like a simple questions but its extremely complex if given thought.

Why Do you eat?

Enter into this thought provoking question and become a winner winner chicken Dinner!

Winners picked lottery style. The size of thread will determine the number winners and the size of the prize....and you know how we roll!

We will ship internationally only if our products are available for sale in your country(not a money thing, a compliance thing) but if you are international from a restricted area and have a US address, we will ship there freely...

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bc doctors told me I had to. Lol. To 'feed the machine' of course, give the body the nutrients it needs so it'll not only recover but rebuild itself stronger and into the body size I want.

Edit: that's the simplified man's version of complex, ha.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are several variations of answers for this question.

Scientific
I eat out of habit. Like breathing it has become an autonomic response to the hunger stimulus by way of the 'hunger hormone' Ghrelin. I've had this problem since I was a baby justhere4comm.

Source
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17212793

Physiological Psychological Disorder
Some do not eat because of stress, and others eat because of stressful situations. One is anorexia nervosa, and the other is emotional or binge eating. I used to suffer from a form of anorexia when I was a teenager, but it wasn't a response to a visual dissatisfaction with my body, it was a simple response to watching my sister shove food in her face, and it made me not want to eat. It got to the point where I was enjoying the hunger pains.

Social
As we grow socially, we learn to eat, even when we are not hungry. It's a social habitual response. If there is food, and a social activity, we will eat. Even if we are not hungry.

I think the ritual of eating is something that transcends human beings beyond simple animals. We ritualize our eating so much we tie them to events. Just think about The Fourth of July, and not think Hot Dogs! Pizza! (Fireworks). There are so many food based Holidays they perpetuate this need to eat in groups as a social function.

Thanksgiving is so ingrained inner society, we have our President pardon a dozen turkeys every year. It's an interesting Holiday where one also has to endure some obnoxious relatives that seem to creep out of the woodwork more on this one than others.

This is a synopsis of why I eat. :D

Why do I eat? I eat to live, but I don't live to eat.

Is it ok if I tag a few friends and invite them in here? The more the merrier right? Then. PIZZA!

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bc doctors told me I had to. Lol. To 'feed the machine' of course, give the body the nutrients it needs so it'll not only recover but rebuild itself stronger and into the body size I want.

Edit: that's the simplified man's version of complex, ha.
simple is complex

Spencyyj

Spencyyj

Awards
I eat, periodically throughout the day, in order to properly nourish my body. While maintaining a clean diet, I am able to cleanse my body instead of filling it with trash in the form of fast food. By eating clean, I am able to lean out while gaining some weight, which is my overall goal. So I guess you could say I eat in order to purely (or as pure as you can get) gain weight and muscle in order to become healthier and more aesthetically appealing

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Eat to try and put on muscle mass, pretty simple. If I did not workout I would just eat to eat.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
To put on more size and move into a higher weight class for next time I step on stage.
Besides that I eat, so that way I can wake up and live to see another day!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I eat so that I can experience. It fuels new growth, recovery, and aid in maintaining balance. Like life things change, so does our food choices, but one thing remains the same. Without or with less of it, thing begin to fade and diminish.

I eat for constant growth and change!

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've went through a lot of changes in regards to eating after losing a lot of weight. I spent a year and 1/2 scared to eat a carb. I was working out too much and not seeing results from the time I was putting in. I finally changed my way of thinking now unless I'm cutting for something I don't do anything crazy. I eat a high protein diet and I try to eat more calories than in the past but eat smart. I eat cause it's enjoyable. I'm a great cook. I wanted to be a chef growing up and should of followed that dream. Now I just cook for my family and they're spoiled now.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
I eat because it's the best way to produce methane. Then I lock the car windows and choke my family out with said methane.

I also eat because it's important for living and whatnot.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Usp labs doing it again! I love eating to experience new flavors and foods. I will try anything at least once and love the experience of getting excited for a new restaurant or new dish I've never had.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
People at work used to always chuckle at how much or often I was eating during the day. I always just told them the truth: I didn't build to the size I am by NOT eating

Eat big, lift big, and thereby experience new firsts with both!

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I'll be the first one to say it....

I eat because I love food.
Seriously. I get hangry when I don't eat.

I enjoy trying new foods and creating new flavorings. I enjoy how simple twists on a dish can be a game changer. I'm a much better cook than I am baker.

Even if I didn't work out, I would still eat and I would still love to eat. I also eat because I have to and it is essential to my gym progress, but really I just love food. I don't eat on a strict regimen. I'm not a brown rice and boiled chicken kind of guy.

If I want tamales, I'm gonna have some tamales. If I want fried deer, I'm gonna have some of that, too. Even when I'm cutting, like I am currently, I have no problem fitting what I crave that day into my calories.

bloodnthunder

bloodnthunder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I eat bc:
1. I love the taste of food
2. If I don't eat I bc the most miserable person on earth, I.e on a cut
3. Food provides the body with the nourishment it needs to grow and to allow for optimal functionality

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
Prior to being a gym rat, I ate to make a turd and live another day. Now I eat to make GAINZ and retain them there gainz

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is why google told me I eat haha

"The Science of Eating. We eat because we are hungry. We eat for energy. You might know some of the reasons we crave certain foods, but most of our food decisions come from hidden forces."

Like google says, I eat because I'm hungry, of course. I love food, eating is by far one of my favorite things to do besides being a dad and lifting. The fact that it aids in my favorite hobby is legit AF. I swear this is how I look at food....

Any and all food. I feel like a robot sometimes haha.

I eat to make gains, I make gains because I eat

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I eat because after growing up and being overweight I depleted myself to nearly being anorexic. It got so bad, and I had such a bad relationship with food my parents almost threw me out of college until I took my eating habits and corrected them. Since then my relationship with food, and how i approach eating has improved drastically. Food is food, its fuel for the body. For those who think they have to restrict themselves from X or Y foods are only fooling themselves. We can enjoy all foods in moderate portions. While there are things we can't eat on an everyday basis and live the life of an obese american on diabetes, we need to realize that what we put in our bodies is very important. We want to live, we want to be healthy, and we want to take care of our bodies and digestive system because we only get it once. So we need to treat it, take care of it, and make sure we watch and meet our micronutrients daily to pursue a long lasting and healthy life. That is why I eat, to value my health.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I live to eat actually. I don't classify myself as a foodie but I do travel the world to see different cultures and eat there food. Last year I traveled through china and ate lots of street food you top tier restaurants. Must say I was impressed with everything. This year I traveled through to the south eating all the country style food and soil food.
That's my excuse why it's hard for me to cut lol

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I eat because I'm trying to lose weight. You see I get nervous my wife will leave me so I go on a diet but the anxiety makes me eat a lot of food so I forever bulk

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wait. It was a trick question!!!

We don't need to eat. Only drink. Delicious and nutritious USPLabs protein.

:D

<<< Brown nose.

funcouser

Awards
Some ppl eat to live to while others live to eat. I eat for aesthetic gains.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I eat cause I love food. I used to eat a decent amount growing up but my mom always cooked and it wasn't that she was a bad cook she just made gross food. Let's just say it was unpleasant. When I met my wife's family for the first time and she made me dinner I knew I had found it. They cooked real food with lard and grease and love. It was heaven. I eat because I love eating. I will always try something new. Whether it's scorpions, octopus, schawarma, veggie burgers. I'll try anything once.
Oh and to feed my muscles....blah blah blah..... Protein..... Carbs.... Macros.... Blah blah blah. Get strong.

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
I eat beacuse i love food
I eat beacuse i always wanted to be big
I eat to survive to provide for my wife and 2 young sons

angcd3

angcd3

Awards
I eat to fuel my body, grow, survive..

But I just really love food .. !!! the rest is just an added bonus ..lol

machwon04

Awards
  • Established
I eat because I grew up in the South, my Mom is a great cook and I love food. If only my wife knew how to cook like that. I'd be yuuuuge! But probably not in a good way.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I eat because lifting weights makes my body hungry all the time. That and I just plain enjoy the taste of most all foods tbh.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Food = Gainz !!!

muskate

muskate

Awards
So I don't die...

Seriously though, I view food as fuel. I like junk/cheat foods just like everyone else but my #1 priority when it comes to picking my meal choices is nutrition.

Eating healthy today so I feel good tomorrow :)

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
I eat for a variety of reasons. If I don't pay attention and make sure I'm eating enough, I will lose weight and strength fast because I naturally have a fast metabolism and poor appetite. So I guess I eat to maintain size and build muscle, but also lets face it. Who doesn't enjoy eating the whole pizza or all 24 of the wings every once in a while after a brutal leg day? So I also eat because I like to. I also enjoy the social aspect of eating. Meeting up with family and/or friends you haven't seen in a while for a good dinner together is always nice.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I eat because it's necessary and because I love food. Lol

andrewski48

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I eat because I love food. I am not a picky eater at all and love eating anything from a steak to my daughters leftover goldfish crackers. I have never had a problem eating at any point in my life, which I am thankful for.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
I eat the crap of my chain of command and then after that I eat dust because all we do is sweep dirt in the military and then I eat the horrible meals they give us but the unlimited amount of dessert but a slice of chicken cuz I guess that's all they're allowed to serve. So I eat absolutely nothing except my hope and morale until I get off the ship and hit the gym.. Oh then eat and eggs after. Rant over

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To perform better in the gym and to gain some quality weight

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I eat to make some people feel uncomfortable. Like those people you nibble and actually chew every little bit. I will sit down at a buffet and stuff myself until im drooling and I will go back for dessert like a champ!!!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My story is similar to Bob's in a number of ways. I'll elaborate tomorrow, but my views and life has totally changed after working to have a healthier relationship with good.

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
I eat to heal. Eating right to get the right nutrition can lead to a better quality of life. Eat things that have the densest nutrition per volume of food. Spiralina/ Green powder, smoothies, juicing has all been some of the best changes in my diet ive ever made. Better sex drive, better complexion, more strength, more energy, more.mental clarity, better sleep, better immune system, the list goes on.

I also eat cause its an addiction. A couple years ago I did the master cleanse by Stanley Burroughs. This cleanse really got me in touch with my body. You realize that cravings is your bodies addiction to eating and most times you don't need what you are craving.

I also eat to grow. Diet is over 50% the formula for growth and without enough calories (with p/c/f ratio for body type), muscle gain is minimal.

BoloYeung1

BoloYeung1

Awards
Right now I'm bulking. 35 years old now and have some time left to really hit it hard and put some mass on my frame. My coach? He pushes me hard. I'm not big enough yet. My appetite? Not so great. Taking in 1500 calories in weight gainer and 3 solid meals of steak eggs and spinach. A lot of protein and fats...carbs? I do better when they're low. Coach says I need to up it to 4000 now. Let's double scoop the mass gainer...it's more or less this question? Do I wanna get bigger or do I gotta get bigger?!?!? Let's build the beast that always should of been...load another plate on the bar because I'm taking this train to Gainsville.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I eat to maintain, stay healthy, and provide my body with proper calories and micronutrients. We only get our health once. We should take care of it as much as possible. While that is always the focus of being healthy and choosing better choices of food, we need to have a balance and enjoy moderation. No food is off limits, we just have to enjoy things in moderate portions. Its not everyday we are going to be eating pizza and ice cream, but they should never be offlimits in anyones dietary plans unless you have goals to compete and are 2-3 weeks out and need to be dialed in.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree about eating healthy and it overall makes you feel better

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I eat for fuel for my body, and it just tastes darn good.

I used to eat only for pleasure, with no thoughts about body composition or fuel for training. Then I switched to seeing food only as fuel. Now I take a more healthy "hybrid" approach of fuel and pleasure :)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My story is similar to Bob's in a number of ways. I'll elaborate tomorrow, but my views and life has totally changed after working to have a healthier relationship with good.
I grew up with good parents who loved me, made sure I was fed, but weren't privy to all the knowledge we are now about macronutrients, and much beyond "if you eat too much, you gain weight; eat in moderation; eat mostly healthy foods and go lighter on the snacks." I was an active kid who played outside til it was dark, played multiple sports (until HS, when I played exclusively baseball year-round), and was always on the move. I have a bigger frame that started to show as I got to jr. high and sometime around then is when I was somewhat chubby. In hindsight, I wasn't fat; but I just wasn't skinny either. But that didn't matter to kids who made jokes, and I wasn't smart enough back then to know any different other than to be hurt by it.

So at a younger age than I'd like, I started associating certain foods as good and others as bad in my mind. I went through a phase of eating only a packet of ramen noodles, maybe a banana and a little pack of those 6 crackers w/ peanut butter and that may be what I ate for an entire day. In addition to that -- if that wasn't bad enough -- I was still highly physically active. I would go to my baseball practices or games, still run and exercise on my own, etc. During my junior year of high school, I distinctly remember a time in early Spring when my girlfriend (of like all of a month lol) broke up with me (read: cheated on me and then lied to me about just needing space...lol) that was during 2-a-days for varsity baseball tryouts. I lost 10 pounds in under a week's time from all the running they had us doing before and after school, as I pretty much just didn't eat and did nothing else other than try to stay awake in class and sleep as soon as I got home.

By my senior year, I was running either 7 or 9 miles a night, every night, in addition to my baseball practices, weight-training, etc. And still not eating what I should and unfortunately not knowing about protein, needing to eat enough calories to build muscle, etc. All I knew was food made me fat and I was fat, so I couldn't eat more food. It was absolutely awful without me even realizing anything was wrong. I also hated people seeing me eat. So that obviously led to binges, when I would eat all the "bad" foods on my own, away from the eyes of anyone else.

In college, I would play 3 hours of basketball a night (in addition to lifting, walking all over to class, etc.) and again, barely ate most of the time. I didn't know that not eating was screwing up my metabolism, keeping me from losing fat and gaining muscle. I just had the only thing I knew -- eating makes you fat, so don't eat as much.

I slowly learned more over time. However, it still took a LOT of effort to find a healthy place in my life when it came to food. Once I was in grad school (at 23), I had my own house that I lived in, so I was cooking and feeding myself and that really helped. I unfortunately fell into that group of the brainwashed who preached "clean" eating and thought anything "not clean" was bad. I was obviously not in the healthiest mindset, but it was better than where I'd been -- baby steps.

Near the end of grad school is when I found bodybuilding (not just Men's Health fitness routines; I finally stumbled onto MD and that changed the game for me). Along with that came getting online to some forums (namely here lol) and I started to learn more about nutrition than I had before. I still had some demons to fight and move past, but I was on the right track.

During that time, I went from a ripped 208 all the way up to 300 lbs. over the course of about 2 years, despite continuing to lift, play basketball, etc. (I was playing safety in my flag football league at 290 lbs). Nothing made sense. I saw over 10 different doctors, including endocrinologist specialists at two different D1 research universities. Other than finding hypothyroidism, they couldn't find any answers for me other than the nice "you have to eat less than you burn" from a HORRIBLE endo, who I'm ashamed to know is published and still teaching med students. Anyway, I ended up finding a small pituitary tumor that explained all the things being slightly off and while I never found a true answer, some tinkering and medicating on my own led me down the path to recovery.

I went from 300 lbs down to 240 between June and November, and after that point (3 years ago), I've yo-yo'd back and forth a little bit (never getting higher than 250ish again.

But about a year ago, I started training in the mornings and included stair sprints and laps in between each one of my lifting sets and that afforded me some more calories when it came to eating. I've still got a lot of ground to cover and grow psychologically and emotionally, but I feel SO much better about my relationship with food than what I did. I have Halloween candy still left -- it's December! That never happened! lol. I can have ice cream or pizza or anything else. But it's no longer full day "cheat" meal binges or anything like that -- I've found a healthy level of moderation and balance.

It's not perfect; nor will it ever be, but I feel like I'm in a way better place than I used to be. It was largely in part to finding AM.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just realized that in all of that, I didn't even answer the question LOL. That's what happens when you're battling an intense stomach bug, I suppose...ughhh.

I eat for happiness and to fuel my lifestyle. I approach each day as its own separate entity. I no longer let one night of eating a bit too much (this happened when I got a package from Bob....so much for that moderation I'd been wielding lol) turn into a shame spiral of a week and skipping the gym. I shrug it off, and start over from scratch the next day knowing I only overshot my initial goal by about 2k cals, so I'll make up 1k the next day and 1k the day after that. I no longer have a race mentality toward my progress. There was a post on the Gym Memes page the other day that I really enjoy:

15267761_1303914932979076_5971856410303131470_n.jpg

I'm happy with where I am and I'm just enjoying continuing to get better. Even if it's ever so tiny of a nudge in that direction; it's still the direction I want to go.

It's a combination of long term happiness winning out over short-term satisfaction. I know well enough know that binging only makes me feel sick the next day (not even the psychological toll; but purely from a physiological standpoint I'll feel awful). I know that skipping the gym to sleep more feels good while I sleep, but as soon as I get out of bed, I don't have the energy that I normally would have. So I've learned to weigh things out in importance and those long-term things are more important to me.

I didn't have any pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. I could have. But I just wanted other things more and I'm not a HUGE pumpkin pie fan. I ended up weighing in at my lowest in years the Sunday after -- how crazy is that? It's not about restrictions and being unhappy -- it's finding out what makes you happier.

Eating any foods I like, but in moderation and in accordance with the level of activity I had that day allows me to do that.

I (now) eat to be happy :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
My answer is actually extremely simple, albeit a bit problematic:

I love food. I enjoy almost all flavors of anything, I enjoy the act of eating, I enjoy the feeling of being full, and I enjoy the feeling of warmth, mood, and energy that accompanies a good meal.

My issue is that due to how much I love food and eating, I can be a bit binge worthy and have somewhat of an issue stopping or starting as I feel almost obsessed with control or not.

One thing that's odd for me, I hate eating socially. I would rather sit in my house by myself and eat than have a meal with a group most times ha.