Upcoming Distal Clavicle Resection (Right Shoulder)

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
Have had lingering shoulder pain for the last 3 years that really sidelined me from weight training upper body. I seemed to make great progress with physical therapy and taking a protocol of BPC/TB for 8 weeks but unfortunately the pain kept returning. Had an MRI done to rule out any tears and what came back was Grade 2 Osteoarthritis AC Joint-Right Shoulder, Grade 1 Osteoarthritis AC Joint-Left Shoulder. I sadly am at a disadvantage with my AC Joints as I suffer from scapula winging after having my thoracic spine fused due to thoracic scoliosis as a teenager. I truly can say I failed to strengthen my muscles around the scapula and this ultimately led to AC Joint problems. I had 1 cortisone shot back in February and it provided great relief for 8 weeks. Then had a 2nd shot and only got 4 weeks of relief. In fact I went back to the doctor and said to him I can barely raise my right arm above my shoulder now and have bad muscle spasm pain along my trapezius and scapula. AC joint problems are a real b**** and would like to hear how others have fared after the procedure. If you look on YouTube it seems like everyone describes coming out of the procedure in a great amount of pain and requiring a lot of therapy. My doctor acted like pain relief is immediate and within a couple weeks could go back to normal activity. Kind of crazy. But one concern I hear about the shoulder is often times arthritis shows up on imaging and then once the surgeon scopes the area they normally find other issues (labrum tears, cuff tears) also in need of repair. One aspect I see is my left shoulder is definitely compensating for the right shoulder right now. Not sure if others have seen this.

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
Update: I had the surgery yesterday and the only issue found was bone spurs and arthritis at the AC joint. 1cm of clavicle bone was shaved off and had a nerve block. Once the nerve block wore off the pain is seriously intense. Back surgery wasn't this bad. Taking tramadol and a muscle relaxer with it. Trap muscle and neck pain on that side are all gone.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any updates? I bet you lifting almost normally now

hardtoget

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately no I'm not lifting just yet. I'm having a lot of tenderness still at my AC Joint and causing spasming along my upper trap muscles. I really hope it's not some sort of nerve damage from the surgery but I have heard it can take upwards of 6 months to a year before the AC Joint settles down after surgery. I'd like to hear from others if they have had a similar experience.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Unfortunately no I'm not lifting just yet. I'm having a lot of tenderness still at my AC Joint and causing spasming along my upper trap muscles. I really hope it's not some sort of nerve damage from the surgery but I have heard it can take upwards of 6 months to a year before the AC Joint settles down after surgery. I'd like to hear from others if they have had a similar experience.
Nerve damage is super unlikely. The bone can hurt for a long time with little to no risk for u to cause further injury at this point post op. How did post op rehab go? If u say doc didn't send u, then he/she sucks and it might be nerve damage .