• Established
at least I was close this time. Hey by UFc 80 I will have it down

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wasnt there supposed to be an announcement about Wandy and his oppenent at 79?

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wasnt there supposed to be an announcement about Wandy and his oppenent at 79?
Goldy hinted at some announcement but it never happened. DirecTV already posted the listing for UFC 79 having Chuck vs Wandy on the card.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Jensen was robbed, immediate rematch.:twisted: His music is what the huskers walk out to at football games (he's from NE). Maybe that was his downfall.

How did they not stop the Starnes fight at the end of the first? I like Belcher. He's exciting but needs to work a little on his hands.

I'm not sure why Vera kept clinching with Tim. Dumb. He was winning on the outside most of the time.

Franklin really never stood a chance. He should have gone for the takedown in the second after the near KO at the end of rd 1. Silva's tough to beat. Maybe Terry Martin? (fvckin Alex) No way Anderson could hang with Page, but he's bigger than people think. His arms were about the same size as Franklin's in the staredown. His build just makes him look thinner.

Good crowd tonight, no booing. We're just more classy in the midwest.

Alex,
their = possessive pronoun
there=location :twisted:
I don't see their or there in my post, fvckface. Why couldn't Anderson hang with Page? Rampage does not like the plum clinch, and Anderson is a master in the plum clinch. I would give Anderson a 30-40% chance of winning against Rampage. Oh and your crowd was booing Sylvia plenty, poor oaf. Vera certainly didn't beat Sylvia, although I wish he would've, Sylvia won the 1st and 3rd with the 3rd being pretty dominant.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Silva is clearly an Alien from a far out dimension. The guy is not human thats for sure.

I would be a fan of his if he didn't completely ruin the career of the most stand up and likeable guys in the UFC.
You must be talking about Leben:whip:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Franklin is going to need to make a decision about his weight. 185 is a waste now, so do you move to 205 and take a chance in a crowded decision, or can you possibly move down?

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Franklin is going to need to make a decision about his weight. 185 is a waste now, so do you move to 205 and take a chance in a crowded decision, or can you possibly move down?
Rich is a huge 185'er so there is no possible way he could cut to 170.

I don't see why he would move to 205 either. I think he can beat any 185'er in the UFC except Silva. He is going to have to deal with that, start fighting contenders and hope Silva loses the belt.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't see their or there in my post, fvckface. Why couldn't Anderson hang with Page? Rampage does not like the plum clinch, and Anderson is a master in the plum clinch. I would give Anderson a 30-40% chance of winning against Rampage. Oh and your crowd was booing Sylvia plenty, poor oaf. Vera certainly didn't beat Sylvia, although I wish he would've, Sylvia won the 1st and 3rd with the 3rd being pretty dominant.
Well, Sylvia goes without saying. You're supposed to boo him. I'm just being an ass, Alovich. I noticed that you mix it up a lot, sort of like I frequently skip words and Rogue overpunctuates to ridiculous levels. We'll see if Rampage 2.0 can defend against the thai clinch. My guess is yes, at least against someone smaller like Silva.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Well, Sylvia goes without saying. You're supposed to boo him. I'm just being an ass, Alovich. I noticed that you mix it up a lot, sort of like I frequently skip words and Rogue overpunctuates to ridiculous levels. We'll see if Rampage 2.0 can defend against the thai clinch. My guess is yes, at least against someone smaller like Silva.
I think I still have them mixed up, as well as my to/too's. Isn't Beo an english teacher? Maybe he could help me. Although he doesn't seem to acknowledge anyone's posts.

Do you think theres any chance of Evans beating 2.0? I think it will be a good fight, but 2.0 will get the win.

I actually started to feel a little bad for the sh*t in the pants oaf, then I just remembered a few of his victory celebrations.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Rich is a huge 185'er so there is no possible way he could cut to 170.

I don't see why he would move to 205 either. I think he can beat any 185'er in the UFC except Silva. He is going to have to deal with that, start fighting contenders and hope Silva loses the belt.
No doubt, Rich is a huge 185er. If he cut to 170 he would be so fatigued Luke Cummo would KO his ass.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think I still have them mixed up, as well as my to/too's. Isn't Beo an english teacher? Maybe he could help me. Although he doesn't seem to acknowledge anyone's posts.

Do you think theres any chance of Evans beating 2.0? I think it will be a good fight, but 2.0 will get the win.

I actually started to feel a little bad for the sh*t in the pants oaf, then I just remembered a few of his victory celebrations.
Yeah, I wonder if Beo wears Tapout shirts to intimidate his students? :twisted:

I don't think that Evans has a chance against 2.0. He looked a little overwhelmed against Tito and Page is tougher. Hopefully, he destroys Bisping, though. What was up with Anderson doing the little Rashad dance in there? I guess it sort of a "you can't hurt me" message.

At least a few times Timbo seemed like he was trying to end it, but the clinchfest was pretty boring. I wish he'd take full swings instead of the arm punches, but I guess he's too slow that way.

Are there any good events before UFC 78, like Strkieforce or something?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Goddamn it. I can never win these things. I just don't know enough about a lot of the lesser name fighters like y'all do.

I can call the big fights, but the smaller ones always get me.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I wonder if Beo wears Tapout shirts to intimidate his students? :twisted:

I don't think that Evans has a chance against 2.0. He looked a little overwhelmed against Tito and Page is tougher. Hopefully, he destroys Bisping, though. What was up with Anderson doing the little Rashad dance in there? I guess it sort of a "you can't hurt me" message.

At least a few times Timbo seemed like he was trying to end it, but the clinchfest was pretty boring. I wish he'd take full swings instead of the arm punches, but I guess he's too slow that way.

Are there any good events before UFC 78, like Strkieforce or something?
I think Anderson has been doing that for a long time. I recall him doing that in a Meca fight back in 2001.

As far as any good events, all I know of are the mmaweekly rumors. EliteXC, November 10, featuring Nick Diaz, Jake Shields, and Rogue's b*tch, Kimbo. Then November 16, Strikeforce is having a 4 man MW tourney featuring Sasaki, Jorge Santiago, Prangley, and Vitale, not bad. Also on that card Riggs is fighting the infamous TBA, Headhunter vs Overeem, and Cung Le vs Misaki. Cung Le/Misaki should be interesting. "Don't fear me, fear the consequences" should rack up another KO against the "I could really care less" Demolition Man.

I think Beo does wear a tap-out cut off exposing his twin barbed wire armband tats:bruce1:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Thank. god. for. the Grammar. Checker. in. M$. Word, for. when. I. write. formally. I. haven't. received instruction. in English. syntax. since. the. Seventies.

Not only does Anderson Silva have superb offensive striking skills, he's also using his forearms to deflect strikes. That would seem like a no brainer, their size and strength versus a smaller fragile hand on a quicker arc, but , to my knowledge, no one else in the UFC is doing this.

Belcher threw some nice standing horizontal elbows too, those two techniques are the future of MMA striking, the next technique yet unseen, again AFAIK, is double fists.

A short compact strong wrestler that can control and pound Silva's torso, inside his long ultra deadly limbs would be Silva's biggest threat, that be Hendo. IMO, Yushin Okami should be Silva's next opponent, his style and strength is a better match up with Anderson than Franklin's is.

Vera, to my eye, looked unsure of himself in the walkin and scared of Sylvia in the exchanges, he was ducking his head and looking away as Tim was advancing, not a good sign. Clinching up and doing nothing, another boring Sylvia fight to a decision, but I would blame Vera more for this, the Ogre was looking to finish.

Overall, not a very good event, about what I expected.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I have some bad news. I think I am going to have to fight A. Silva. My wife has been talking about him non-stop since the fight last night.

For the record, no Tapout shirts or barbed tats here, though I do have a sweet PUMA parody shirt that says MMA with a thai kick replacing the puma: IronChin
I am an English teacher, but I'm not too likely to stick with it. I invest way too much time and energy for too little return. It is really hard to watch kids who grow up with nothing, except a ton of talent, blow their only opportunity for a better life.

If you all have any suggestions, I'm listening. I'd love to be an MMA journalist, but I don't think that'll happen.

FYI:
Their: 3rd person plural possessive pronoun
There: opposite of here
They're: they are
*I catch myself making these errors all the time. I don't think they are a big deal as long as it is an informal exchange.

I just had to review this the other day in class. You guys all write clearly and coherently...except for the Augg Daugg!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank. god. for. the Grammar. Checker. in. M$. Word, for. when. I. write. formally. I. haven't. received instruction. in English. syntax. since. the. Seventies.

Not only does Anderson Silva have superb offensive striking skills, he's also using his forearms to deflect strikes. That would seem like a no brainer, their size and strength versus a smaller fragile hand on a quicker arc, but , to my knowledge, no one else in the UFC is doing this.

Belcher threw some nice standing horizontal elbows too, those two techniques are the future of MMA striking, the next technique yet unseen, again AFAIK, is double fists.

A short compact strong wrestler that can control and pound Silva's torso, inside his long ultra deadly limbs would be Silva's biggest threat, that be Hendo. IMO, Yushin Okami should be Silva's next opponent, his style and strength is a better match up with Anderson than Franklin's is.

Vera, to my eye, looked unsure of himself in the walkin and scared of Sylvia in the exchanges, he was ducking his head and looking away as Tim was advancing, not a good sign. Clinching up and doing nothing, another boring Sylvia fight to a decision, but I would blame Vera more for this, the Ogre was looking to finish.

Overall, not a very good event, about what I expected.
I noticed those elbows too, he was utilizing them quite well coming out of clinches. Do you think more people are going to start throwing the horizontal elbow coming out of cage clinches, or even from a MT clinch Rogue?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I noticed those elbows too, he was utilizing them quite well coming out of clinches. Do you think more people are going to start throwing the horizontal elbow coming out of cage clinches, or even from a MT clinch Rogue?
I think Silva threw a few of those too. More people need to strike coming out of clinches. I think that was how Cote caught "Da Spyduhhhhhh" Grove.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah right Beo, this is really what your gf is going to buy you.

Attachments

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I have some bad news. I think I am going to have to fight A. Silva. My wife has been talking about him non-stop since the fight last night.

For the record, no Tapout shirts or barbed tats here, though I do have a sweet PUMA parody shirt that says MMA with a thai kick replacing the puma: IronChin
I am an English teacher, but I'm not too likely to stick with it. I invest way too much time and energy for too little return. It is really hard to watch kids who grow up with nothing, except a ton of talent, blow their only opportunity for a better life.
That's too bad, Beo. I've taught many college courses and seen similar things with students that had nothing but actually made it to college, but didn't have the encouragement/support to stick with it. I've also seen too many students with terrible HS teachers that let them get away with doing/learning nothing. Then they come in and can't believe what I/we demand of them. It sounds like you care, though, so it's disappointing that it's not working out for you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

As for the wife, maybe you need to get better dance moves to win her attention back. Try this one.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the support, and clever posting. She did enjoy that bobbing and weaving--which was pretty ballsy considering his hands were at his knees while he was doing it.

The school where I work actually prepares city kids extremely well for college, but I don't enjoy failing 1/3 of my students. I love seeing kids succeed, but one out of ten is not enough to keep me going every day. Worse than that is the fact that I work 12-14 hours during the week, plus another 10 on the weekend. I just don't get paid enough to do that, and when we have kids, I don't want to remove myself from my children's lives to correct papers.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Maybe, but, based on my experience, it's a really hard technique to use well in motion. I say this because the distance from deltoid to elbow edge is so short, it's very easy to miss and throwing an elbow across exposes one's ribcage to a nasty counterpunch.

It also requires a mental connection to the striking surface of the elbow that is not the natural ingrained one that exists to the fist and for best effect, it should be thrown open hand, a clenched fist tightens the forearm and reduces the velocity of an elbow strike.

It's a good first strike technique in virtually motionless close quarters, not the best but good, like a bar fight, but in ring motion, hard to do, I can't do it well, maybe if I was still a nubile young nymph; insert Dancing Fairy Emoticon.

Defensive elbows I use, this is an natural reaction with one's hands held high and shoulders up, a fast and strong defensive shield in relation to the virtually no padding and small size of a MMA gloved hand.

What suprises me is that no one is using double fists, very hard to block two at a time and very powerful when one can throw both sides of the shoulders and back into a hit with some leg drive. It's a dangerous choice, it can do serious internal damage when that much kinetic energy is driven in at one time.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe, but, based on my experience, it's a really hard technique to use well in motion. I say this because the distance from deltoid to elbow edge is so short, it's very easy to miss and throwing an elbow across exposes one's ribcage to a nasty counterpunch.

It also requires a mental connection to the striking surface of the elbow that is not the natural ingrained one that exists to the fist and for best effect, it should be thrown open hand, a clenched fist tightens the forearm and reduces the velocity of an elbow strike.

It's a good first strike technique in virtually motionless close quarters, not the best but good, like a bar fight, but in ring motion, hard to do, I can't do it well, maybe if I was still a nubile young nymph; insert Dancing Fairy Emoticon.

Defensive elbows I use, this is an natural reaction with one's hands held high and shoulders up, a fast and strong defensive shield in relation to the virtually no padding and small size of a MMA gloved hand.

What suprises me is that no one is using double fists, very hard to block two at a time and very powerful when one can throw both sides of the shoulders and back into a hit with some leg drive. It's a dangerous choice, it can do serious internal damage when that much kinetic energy is driven in at one time.
A double-fist would be deadly if connected, but I would think it leaves a myriad of possibilities open if missed. If you threw it from the hip, getting the most leg-drive, you'd leave yourself open for both counterpunches and shoots. I think the best would probably be in a GnP situation after creating distance with some jabs. Either that or like a double-hammerfist.

I see what you're saying about the elbows though. Definitely difficult to utilize them with as much accuracy and coordination as a punch. I was thinking in the clinch, up against the cage, would be the most viable option as one could use some upper body torque to simultaneously create distance, and for velocity.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Both are doable, takes new practice. They are like spinning backfists and the like, the unexpected used at the right time.

I hear that Big Nog is practicing the Vulcan Neck Pinch, and that Houston Alexander is working on sharpening his cone to spear, ala Cornhusker Football style, someone's chest, but these may just be urban legends.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Both are doable, takes new practice. They are like spinning backfists and the like, the unexpected used at the right time.

I hear that Big Nog is practicing the Vulcan Neck Pinch, and that Houston Alexander is working on sharpening his cone to spear, ala Cornhusker Football style, someone's chest, but these may just be urban legends.
lol.

I think I also heard Rashad Evans has perfected the technique of enveloping foes in his eyelids. That guy always looks like he has taken damage after the fight, but never has.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
How about this? Kampmann-Leites and Okami-Mcfredies to set up the 185 title picture.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Not the best event every put on PPV but it wasn't the worst either.

To those saying Vera won the fight or that it was close...what fight were you watching? Vera did nothing to win that fight, I don't think he did anything to even try and end the thing. I'm not a huge Sylvia fan but it was obvious in the 3rd round that if Timmy had let his hands go a little more he could have damaged Vera. I think Vera will be good, but he needs to get a little bigger and more experience.

Silva is an animal. The MW division is screwed up b/c nobody can beat Rich, but Rich can't beat Silva. Okami or Hendo are the only ones with a shot at Silva right now. And apparently Hendo wants to hang with the 205ers.

Belcher seems to have an annoying attitude. I was hoping Starnes would sub him but it was pretty obvious when Alan put his hands down and allowed Starnes free shots to his head that Alan wasn't worried.

Bonnar actually looks better now than before he got nailed for roids.

I think Gurgel needs to give it up. He may be a good trainer/coach but he seems to get beat badly in every fight he's in.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Not the best event every put on PPV but it wasn't the worst either.

To those saying Vera won the fight or that it was close...what fight were you watching? Vera did nothing to win that fight, I don't think he did anything to even try and end the thing. I'm not a huge Sylvia fan but it was obvious in the 3rd round that if Timmy had let his hands go a little more he could have damaged Vera. I think Vera will be good, but he needs to get a little bigger and more experience.

Silva is an animal. The MW division is screwed up b/c nobody can beat Rich, but Rich can't beat Silva. Okami or Hendo are the only ones with a shot at Silva right now. And apparently Hendo wants to hang with the 205ers.

Belcher seems to have an annoying attitude. I was hoping Starnes would sub him but it was pretty obvious when Alan put his hands down and allowed Starnes free shots to his head that Alan wasn't worried.

Bonnar actually looks better now than before he got nailed for roids.

I think Gurgel needs to give it up. He may be a good trainer/coach but he seems to get beat badly in every fight he's in.
I had Vera winning the first 2 rounds, but they could have gone either way as no one really did anything in either one. I'm glad Timmy won because he was the only one to win around decisively. It would have sucked to have him lose 29-28 when he clearly won the fight based entirely on round 3.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just watched this today...I tried to watch it earlier this week, but fell asleep...ehh...Silva is just not a good match up for Franklin, but at least his nose was still attached after this fight! Not sure who said Vera won or that it was a close fight, but at the risk of sounding like a Maineiac...Tim definitively won...sorry if that was already argued, but I don't feel like going back through this thread...

So how what are the big plans for the HW division now? Any Brock Lesnar nut huggers yet?

Last edited:
Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Just watched this today...I tried to watch it earlier this week, but feel asleep...ehh...Silva is just not a good match up for Franklin, but at least his nose was still attached after this fight! Not sure who said Vera won or that it was a close fight, but at the risk of sounding like a Maineiac...Tim definitively won...sorry if that was already argued, but I don't feel like going back through this thread...

So how what are the big plans for the HW division now? Any Brock Lesnar nut huggers yet?
Not me, at least not yet. I think the infamous CNorris might be clinging to Brock's sack.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I was about to bring a mom joke into this but I couldn't go through with it. :numbered:
Mom jokes are always welcome. I only like maybe 5 people, if that makes you feel any better.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You were right. I knew Jensen was in trouble when Maia came out to the Last of The Mohicans 'theme song'. Jensen's intro song was dope to though. Beo's been into MMA for a year or so and already analyzes fights better, fvckin dork:type: :twisted:

Anderson Silva has now moved up from #5 to #2 on my favorite fighters list, for anyone that could possibly care. Dude's movement is the best sh*t I've seen since Barry Sanders. Class act, exciting fighter, and wins! I remember arguing with Sir Savage aka Tony 'the Barnacle' Savage about Anderson's ability/future. So far it looks like Savage was right, although I still want to see him against the likes of Hendo/Lindland/Filho, whom I thought he would lose to, and am now unsure. Anderson seems to be unbelievably strong for what he looks like, and I'm not sure anyone even at 205 can beat him. I think Anderson stands a good chance of beating Rampage if they were to fight. Scary thing is Anderson could probably cut to 170 if he wanted to.

With all the talent available would it be possible for us to start seeing some better cards:rant: Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the PPV, but I want better.
OK, I take back what I said about Anderson being able to cut to 170, maybe a couple years ago. In a recent interview he says he walks around at 97Kg, or 213 pounds. He said he wouldn't mind fighting at 205, it would be an easier cut. I don't see it happening anytime soon, but how do you guys think he would do as a LHW?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think The Spider is deceptively strong. His longer frame makes him look tiny, but the way he manhandled Franklin, a very large MW, makes me think he has enough power (bodily) to contend with the LHW. Technically, in terms of striking, he can hang with anybody, but I think one has to question if his power is enough to contend with LHW power (punching power). While he threw around Franklin, I wonder if a 'Page or Hendo was to grab him in the clinch, would be be able to assert himself?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jas123 MMA 99
pistonpump MMA 118
Alexander MMA 54
Alexander MMA 103
Alexander MMA 70