Two More Amino Spiking Lawsuits Filed by Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Files Lawsuits against Iovate and AllMax over Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) and Protein Spiking Allegations - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

ATLANTA, June 3, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Protein supplement maker Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. says rivals Iovate and AllMax artificially inflated the level of protein in their protein products and then lies to consumers about it, violating federal competition and state consumer protection laws, according to two complaints filed in Georgia federal court. The lawsuits further alleges violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) act and protein spiking allegations involving Iovate and AllMax Sports Nutrition's protein supplements.

Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (PRNewsFoto/Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
The Iovate lawsuit alleges that Iovate and its CEO Paul Gardiner were engaged in a scheme to defraud consumers as to the MuscleTech NitroTech, MuscleTech Phase8, MuscleTech Platinum 100% Whey, MuscleTech Platinum 100% Iso-Whey, Six Star Whey Protein Plus, Six Star Protein Shakes, Six Star Recovery Protein, Six Star Whey Isolate Plus, and EPIQ Isolate protein powders product's content, quality, characteristics, and/or ingredients, and caused and enabled consumers to purchase Iovate's products instead of Hi-Tech's NitroPro® product.

The lawsuit's allegations include that Iovate's label makes misleading claims about its protein content. For example, the labeling claims that the product contains certain amounts of protein per serving; however, this figure allegedly also includes various amino acids and; the non-amino acid compound, Creatine Monohydrate.

The Allmax lawsuit alleges that Allmax and its CEO Michael Kichuk were engaged in a scheme to defraud consumers as to the AllMax Ultra-Premium 6 Protein Blend HexaPro protein powders product's content, quality, characteristics, and/or ingredients, and caused and enabled consumers to purchase Allmax's products instead of Hi-Tech's NitroPro® product.

The lawsuits also allege, "In furtherance of this scheme, Iovate and Allmax used the Internet to disseminate its false product claims to consumers across the United States, and to enable consumers to purchase Iovate and AllMax's products online. They also used the U.S. Mail and/or other interstate carriers to ship the products to consumers throughout the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C. Section 1341." The suit further alleges, "Defendants have conspired to conduct and participate in the conduct of the affairs of the enterprise through a pattern of racketeering activity. That conduct constitutes conspiracy to violate Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) 18 U.S.C. Section 1962(c), in violation of 18 U.S.C. Section 1962(d)." Passed the year after The Godfather was published, RICO is part of a 1970 law designed to allows plaintiffs to bring civil lawsuits against organizations whose members allegedly committed crimes.

Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals lawsuits allege that Iovate and Allmax's Protein products do not contain the quantity of protein as claimed on the product's label, and also alleges the use of non-protein ingredients in protein supplement products due to a process known as "protein-spiking." These ingredients are added to increase a protein product's nitrogen content while allowing the manufacturer to save on protein manufacturing costs. A popularly used protein content test uses nitrogen as a measure of protein; therefore, protein spiking serves to fool consumers into believing they are receiving more whey protein than is actually contained in the product.
First MusclePharm, now Iovate and AllMax

Tmac29

Awards
Iovate has the $$$$ to settle out of court.

I wonder if this will effect them currently trying to shop the company.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Iovate has the $$$$ to settle out of court.

I wonder if this will effect them currently trying to shop the company.

I do not believe this is something that is in Hi-Tech's best interest to settle out of court, but I am no lawyer.

Winning a case like this (and not settling) provides HT with additional past precedence over the Pom Wonderful case, which provides us with even more ammunition against other companies who are willing to lie & cheat the consumer.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The big question now is, who is HT going to sue next for spiking?

compan

compan

Awards
let it roll! HTP cleaning the industry:)
It is nice that somebody is holding companies accountable. The average consumer would have no idea and thinks they're just getting a good deal on protein.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1. Awesome. Go Hi-Tech.

2. The Platinum series proteins are spiked? That's news to me.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
Finally. I feel like more testings get done on products on the dark side than it does on this side...which is shameful.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2. The Platinum series proteins are spiked? That's news to me.
Vaughn, if you get a chance, I'd love to hear more about the allegations regarding the platinum line. Is Hi-Tech alleging the platinum line was spiked withOUT disclosing the fillers on the ingredients label? If so I'm gonna send Iovate headquarters endless packages of dog sh1t.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hasn't Hi-Tech had there own issues with spiked products in the past?

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
SwoleNation

SwoleNation

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
VaughnTrue, off topic.... your inbox is full. Unable to send reply. Fyi.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hasn't Hi-Tech had there own issues with spiked products in the past?
No it has not
^^^ correct.

We have never spiked a single product being sold as dietary supplements. What is on our label, is what is in the product, every single time. FDA corroborates this with routine inspections, and no offenses ever (literally) being found.

That said, we are currently battling the government over DMAA and other various issues that we feel are unjustly being ruled upon right now. Time will tell if our argument holds water or not.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's great to see a company with balls while a lot of other companies go down the path of getting neutered.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^^ correct.

We have never spiked a single product being sold as dietary supplements. What is on our label, is what is in the product, every single time. FDA corroborates this with routine inspections, and no offenses ever (literally) being found.

That said, we are currently battling the government over DMAA and other various issues that we feel are unjustly being ruled upon right now. Time will tell if our argument holds water or not.
Dangerous to throw rocks from a glass house.

--

Hi-tech in one filing to the FDA claimed both of the following to be true:

-The BMPEA in Hi-Tech products is a natural extract

-BMPEA can be found in Acacia at concentrations of 7.8ppm-12.3ppm

--

A pill of say, Fastin-XR had 25mg of BMPEA in it.

To extract 25mg of BMPEA from Acacia at a concentration of 7.8-12.3ppm would require 2,032,520-3,205,128 mgs of raw material. (2-3KGs per pill)

Hi-Tech again in the same letter to the FDA stated that as a *conservative* estimate, they have sold one *billion* doses of BMPEA.

This means mean that Hi-Tech phermaceuticals would have us believe that they and their suppliers have harvested and processed 2-3 BILLION kilograms of Acacia leaves.

Just to put that in perspective, that is several times more weight than the entire volume of the entire presence of acacia rigidula in every single natural habitat the plant grows in over the entire planet.

--

It therefore seems abundantly clear to me that Hi-Tech product labels are objectively false when they claim that their product contains Acacia Rigidula leaf extract standardized for BMPEA.

--

This ****post has been funded by the desire for lols, and far too much time wasted on botanical databases attempting to calculate the total acacia rigidula plant matter currently present on planet earth.

Just to be clear, I don't think Hi-Tech is all bad, I just found the implications of their claims on BMPEA amusing a couple of years ago and boredom is dangerous.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
^^^ correct.

Always interdasted in seeing how it pans out

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dangerous to throw rocks from a glass house.

--

Hi-tech in one filing to the FDA claimed both of the following to be true:

-The BMPEA in Hi-Tech products is a natural extract

-BMPEA can be found in Acacia at concentrations of 7.8ppm-12.3ppm

--

A pill of say, Fastin-XR had 25mg of BMPEA in it.

To extract 25mg of BMPEA from Acacia at a concentration of 7.8-12.3ppm would require 2,032,520-3,205,128 mgs of raw material. (2-3KGs per pill)

Hi-Tech again in the same letter to the FDA stated that as a *conservative* estimate, they have sold one *billion* doses of BMPEA.

This means mean that Hi-Tech phermaceuticals would have us believe that they and their suppliers have harvested and processed 2-3 BILLION kilograms of Acacia leaves.

Just to put that in perspective, that is several times more weight than the entire volume of the entire presence of acacia rigidula in every single natural habitat the plant grows in over the entire planet.

--

It therefore seems abundantly clear to me that Hi-Tech product labels are objectively false when they claim that their product contains Acacia Rigidula leaf extract standardized for BMPEA.

--

This ****post has been funded by the desire for lols, and far too much time wasted on botanical databases attempting to calculate the total acacia rigidula plant matter currently present on planet earth.

Just to be clear, I don't think Hi-Tech is all bad, I just found the implications of their claims on BMPEA amusing a couple of years ago and boredom is dangerous.
per usual, you know I think you are extremely intelligent and I think this type of research is awesome to see from end users as well as reps. I love intelligent conversation on the forums, and sadly AM is the only place that seems to happen anymore.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
per usual, you know I think you are extremely intelligent and I think this type of research is awesome to see from end users as well as reps. I love intelligent conversation on the forums, and sadly AM is the only place that seems to happen anymore.
The supplement industry is such that pretty much everyone is technically violating some vague regulation or another :p

I do like that people in general are more willing to actually discuss issues here, as opposed to just expecting complete stifling of any negative discussion like on some other large bodybuilding forums.

Tmac29

Awards
Its rather nice to see them going toe to toe with the FDA. Of course, not many companies have the revenue to do so.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lol this thread on am might be the only place it seems to happen. These guys have been rediculous on AM lately smh

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Its rather nice to see them going toe to toe with the FDA. Of course, not many companies have the revenue to do so.
These guys obviously got some deep pockets and great lawyers. Going for the jugular constantly. Gotta respect it though. That gaspari move is epic!

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do wish it was a company with a less tarnished legal past going toe to toe with the FDA.

I've never even met or talked to Jared, but most industry people I talk to say he's a good dude.

But his legal history I would worry casts a shadow on interactions Hi-Tech has with the FDA.

Unfortunately, that's also the case for a tremendous number of supplement company owners.

Tmac29

Awards
Like you said, very hard pressed to find a company with a squeaky clean record having the $$$$ to go toe to toe with the FDA.

The only one i can think of is, Iovate, but this recent amino acid thing really put an end to that. I meant that as in Iovate having the $$$.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Been a busy month for HTP....

Personally would love to see it mandated that prop blends go away and full disclosure labels be a must. Just my 2 cents....

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Been a busy month for HTP....

Personally would love to see it mandated that prop blends go away and full disclosure labels be a must. Just my 2 cents....
I would very much like to see this as reality myself.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would very much like to see this as reality myself.

More and more companies going this way, even a few with full disclosure Protein Powders...saaay what....

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More and more companies going this way, even a few with full disclosure Protein Powders...saaay what....
yup, I've pushed hard for it in as many IFN products as I could over the years. more and more of our stuff is thankfully, hopefully all of it soon enough

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Being a Formutech rep..I'm all for getting rid of prop blends..people would love Formutech cuz they are high quality supps but turned off by prop

compan

compan

Awards
Some prop blends you can somewhat guess what it is if the company is using legitimate doses but generally, a lot aren't and I'd definitely love to see the industry do away with prop blends. Unfortunately big companies will not because they can protect margins in them.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I thought All-Max cleaned up their act?

**** at this rate I'm just going to start putting whole chicken breasts into the blender and drinking it for quick protein. Who can ya trust?!!

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Vaughn, if you get a chance, I'd love to hear more about the allegations regarding the platinum line. Is Hi-Tech alleging the platinum line was spiked withOUT disclosing the fillers on the ingredients label? If so I'm gonna send Iovate headquarters endless packages of dog sh1t.
Still super curious about this; maybe the third time's a charm? I would even accept an "I don't know", if it meant a response...

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just a reminder about Pacer, if your quarterly document requests total under $15, the entire fee is waived.

If your document requests are > $15, you pay the entirety.

If you pull only a few cases per quarter, you'll be fine, but watch your account total :p

--

Additionally, to reduce your docket searches, I would suggest looking up case numbers on a site like Justia dockets instead of trying to querty parties on PACER as that will generate a document fee there.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Being a Formutech rep..I'm all for getting rid of prop blends..people would love Formutech cuz they are high quality supps but turned off by prop
I love Formutech, small boutique that has everything aside from Protein. Owner is a great guy as well.