Tri. ext. vs Skullcrusher vs. Tri. cable push Dn.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
My bench days loom like this:

BB Bench (5/3/1 weeks)
Close Grip BB bench (-100#'s from "working max") 4x10
Tri. Cable push Dn. 4x10
Chest Flys 4x10

I dont feel like when im doing the Push Dn's that im "locking out" the movement, so i was wondering what would be a good replacement for this move, skullcrusher, tri. ext. (standing, seated, laying) or just stick with the cable push dn. Is there another movement i should be looking at instead of the 3 i have listed?

later
DDS

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My bench days loom like this:

BB Bench (5/3/1 weeks)
Close Grip BB bench (-100#'s from "working max") 4x10
Tri. Cable push Dn. 4x10
Chest Flys 4x10

I dont feel like when im doing the Push Dn's that im "locking out" the movement, so i was wondering what would be a good replacement for this move, skullcrusher, tri. ext. (standing, seated, laying) or just stick with the cable push dn. Is there another movement i should be looking at instead of the 3 i have listed?

later
DDS
What most people think as skullcrushers are actually just lying tricep extensions. I would definitely go with those over the cable tricep pushdowns for the very reason you list. I also never feel like I get a proper stretch, whereas with tricep extensions you most certainly do. You can do them from whatever angle you like. You could do it flat until you stalled, then do it from an incline until you stalled, then try rolling extensions with dumbbells until you stalled, and rinse and repeat.

gravitygames

Awards
I do the skull crushers with dumbells with my elbows at about eye level. So your in a grip with the dumbells like a hammer curl this works well. If you bring your elbows back further its makes it tuffer. i like diamond push ups. Also another is a wide grip pull down i like with a long bar i feel i get a better extention than with the rope. hope this helps!!

Jcweinsx

Awards
I would drop flyes and do dips. For more triceps work and lockouts try 2 stop chop. gotta have someone help you by pressing down on the bar during the 2 stops. start with 50% 1rm, normal press but hold @ 2 inches off chest for 10-30 sec then again at 5-6 inches 10-30 sec with partner pushing down on bar then up to lockout no resistance from partner just hold the bar in the lock.

Cable press downs work better for me when I use the rope vs fixed bar. I pull the rope out to the sides a bit at the bottom and hold it there for 2-3 sec.

Jcweinsx

Awards
Also I like more use higher rep ranges like 15-20 for some triceps exercises other than close grip bench. Overhead/lying extensions and close grip bench are the staples and work for me.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
JM press

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also I like more use higher rep ranges like 15-20 for some triceps exercises other than close grip bench. Overhead/lying extensions and close grip bench are the staples and work for me.
Compound set of skull crushers with close grip barbell press

Works every time;)

I stick to the 10-15 rep range....sometimes lower 6-8 reps

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
wow, all of those extend the arms which uses the triceps. so that makes the decision near impossible to determine on which tricep exercise to do............ oh wait. not it doesnt. but seriously, i dont mean to be a dick but this is like majoring in the minors. i do lean towards anything compound over isolation. other than that just do the one you believe in. you will put in more effort on that exercise and therefore get more results. for the reps and sets and what intensity i like what brandon lilly says about his workouts. he does his main lift he wants to get strong at and does what he needs to get strong. then he trains like a bodybuilder. i have even seen dave tate on an article on t-nation state to train like a bodybuilder exclusively for a short time each year. its mainly to bring up weak links, give the body a break, and for a mental break to.

also, if you are doing 5/3/1 read the book. if it does not give you the answer, read it again and you will find it.

PROness

Awards
Not to state the obvious but...

Like asoon said maybe you should go with something compound like the overhead press or weighted dips. Bill Starr advocated both for tricep development and strength, and i can't argue with him.

Direct arm work is trivial when you can just lift heavy ass weight overhead. :/

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
also, if you are doing 5/3/1 read the book. if it does not give you the answer, read it again and you will find it.
well id love to follow the whole book but my gym doesnt have a dip station. any idea how i can get around that? im open to any suggestion. im following his trimulitive (sp?) program

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well id love to follow the whole book but my gym doesnt have a dip station. any idea how i can get around that? im open to any suggestion. im following his trimulitive (sp?) program
Does your gym have pwr racks?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
nope some goofy life style sqt rack thats kind of made to all heights of people.

would "dips" on a bench with my feet eleveated be the same?
Nah bench dips suck, chicks do those! I agree with AZ on the JM press. Give that a shot. Tate press will build the tri's and help your bench as well.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nope some goofy life style sqt rack thats kind of made to all heights of people.

would "dips" on a bench with my feet eleveated be the same?
Is it like this? If so then just put 2 Olympic bars across the bottom part, get between them and dip.

precor-squat-rack-14.jpg

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought locking out arms/elbows on any movement was dangerous as it can lead to various forms of elbow tendonitis.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Yeah do not do bench dips. End range int. rotation and extension and then some guys want to load it with stacks of plates? Not sure they've really taken the time to think that through

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
try skulls on a decline bench... I love it...

PROness

Awards
Why not do dips on a pullup bar? Or as i call them... prison dips.

Assuming you can get up there you can't use much added weight but you can do them with your back facing the bar and really get your ass kicked.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Why not do dips on a pullup bar? Or as i call them... prison dips.

Assuming you can get up there you can't use much added weight but you can do them with your back facing the bar and really get your ass kicked.
That's more or less replicating the shoulder extension and internal rotation that makes bench dips so terrible for your shoulders, if i'm picturing that correctly. It's dips. They're awesome but, in my opinion, here are plenty of other ways to get strong or build an awe-inspiring upper body. Dont fret

PROness

Awards
That's more or less replicating the shoulder extension and internal rotation that makes bench dips so terrible for your shoulders, if i'm picturing that correctly. It's dips. They're awesome but, in my opinion, here are plenty of other ways to get strong or build an awe-inspiring upper body. Dont fret
Not in prison :(

PROness

Awards
Just another reason to avoid prison: no parallel dip bars
Yeah say that to a judge lol

Judge: Why shouldn't i send you to prison?

You: Well there's no parallel dip bars and those pullup bars are really bad for your shoulders...

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah say that to a judge lol

Judge: Why shouldn't i send you to prison?

You: Well there's no parallel dip bars and those pullup bars are really bad for your shoulders...
Sounds about right to me;)....you're a free man now