Training With Sporto: A Quest For Lean Mass, Personal Records, & A Pro Physique!

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
With one of my ultimate goals this offseason being to develop my hamstrings and glutes better, I'm constantly look for exercises and/or ways to engage the muscle better, along with perfecting my form on all of my movements. I was looking at another workout of a good friend of mine who does Pause Squats. Now, this is a guy who has extremely good hamstring/glute development, so I thought I would give these a try this weekend. When I did these, I tried sending him a PM on how long to pause, but didn't hear back until after I had done the workout. Here, I'm only holding for a count at the bottom. When I heard back, he normally pauses for 3-5 counts at the bottom. I'm looking for some feedback on the pause. I will say that it was TOUGH to hold the core while doing these for 10 reps. I was breathing so heavy towards the end I could barely keep my core tight for the squat. So, I might need a belt next time (and lower weight if I need to pause longer).

Here's the video...365X10...thoughts on the length of pause? The goal here being maximum recruitment of glute/hams. PS - it hurts to sit down today LOL

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Sporto

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking Big Tommy. Calves, as well, looking big from the back.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
WOW you keep putting up some insane vids i really like it. Form is amazing no problems seen there. Maybe just a half second longer on the pause? idk though it seems very well done. I think you have given me an idea of how i will squat this week ;)

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
WOW you keep putting up some insane vids i really like it. Form is amazing no problems seen there. Maybe just a half second longer on the pause? idk though it seems very well done. I think you have given me an idea of how i will squat this week ;)
Bolt, I HIGHLY recommend it! It was hurting to sit down all yesterday!

Smeaton, thanks man...I'm working on those legs!!!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Now, another one of my offseason goals is to bring up my biceps. Over the last couple of years talking with various trainers, bodybuilders, etc., I've come to realize that my biceps don't look the way I want them to because of two things:

1) Not paying strict enough attention to form and activating the bicep through the entire movement

2) Insertion point into the elbow (genetics)

I will most certainly do everything I can to make myself better. Having said that, the only thing I can control lifting in all rep ranges with good form. I'd like some feedback on this video as I perform Standing DB Curls. I do my best to keep my elbow still and use little to no momentum. I need to use as heavy weight as I can with good form to get these bad boys to GROW! Hopefully in a couple of years I'll have baseballs on top of my arms like yzrider400f :D

Here's the video: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GETuvF5Clnk"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Thanks guys

Sporto

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the form looks really good. Your elbows seem to be kept your elbows back during the lift(other than last rep but thats fine) and i like the tempo. You do not seem to be using momentum to help throw it up and you control it going down. Maybe you should yell or something :p jp it looks great. I really like the video thing you've been doing it helps me as well with seeing what good form i should be striving for

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
r u left handed?

those are how i do my squats, excepth when i do my 20+ rep sets.

and when you say "insertion point into the elbow (genetics)" do you mean it is high, like when you stretch your arm the bicep does not connect close to the elbow? just trying to understand here.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Chest/Back Hypertrophy

Machine Pulldowns
250X10
250X10
250X9

Rack Chins
+125X15
+125X13
+125X12

CG Cable Rows
225X13
225X11
225X10

Machine Straight Arm Pulldowns
70X15
70X15
70X13

BB Incline Press
275X8
275X7
275X6

DB Bench Press
100X14
100X14
100X12

Machine Flys
220X10
220X10
220X8

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
r u left handed?

those are how i do my squats, excepth when i do my 20+ rep sets.

and when you say "insertion point into the elbow (genetics)" do you mean it is high, like when you stretch your arm the bicep does not connect close to the elbow? just trying to understand here.
Where your bicep inserts into the elbow will determine what kind of a "peak you will be able to get. Take a look at Arnold's biceps. Each arm had a different insertion point, and each bicep had a different type of peak.

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Legs/Calves Hypertrophy

Deadlifts
405X12
455X12
495X10

Seated Leg Extensions
200X10
200X10
200X10

Seated Leg Curls
125X10
125X10
125X10

Seated Calves
200X8
200X8
200X7

Straight-Leg Calves
250X10
250X10
250X10

Diet

Fat: 75g
Carbs: 435g
Protein: 220g
Calories: 3295cals

Supplements

Throughout Day
Now Foods Multi-Vitamin
Dr. Rexall Fish Oil
Scivation Sesamin
Scivation Dialene-4
Primaforce Max CLA
Primaforce Elastimine
Primaforce ZMA
USP Labs PowerFull
USP Labs SuperCissus Rx
USP Labs TNA
USP Labs Bolic
Omega T-Force

Pre-Workout
Primaforce Primal NO2
Scivation Xtend
USP Labs PowerFull
Ergopharm Amp

During Workout
Scivation Xtend
Primaforce Beta Alanine

Post Workout
Primaforce Pure ALA

Pre-Carb Meals
USP Labs PSlin
USP Labs Anabolic Pump

~This was a very exciting workout. I brought back deadlifts and have decided to make those a staple again in my routine. I took a break from them after my contest for nothing more than a sheer psychological break (I get really intense with these). So yesterday I decided to remove squats and replace them with deadlifts. I wasn't sure where my strength was at so I warmed up with 4 or 5 sets to make sure I was good and ready for my work sets. I can't remember deadlifting in a hypertrophy range before (it's always been sets of 3-6 reps or so), so I wanted to ease into the weights I thought I would be using. I put on 405 for my first set. 12 reps. Piece of cake. I put on 455 for my second set. 12 reps again, this time with some struggling towards the end. Last set, the hell with it, throw on 5 plates on each side. I geared up physchologically and pushed through 10 reps. THe last rep was the longest EVER! LOL! But it still went up. I was stoked after that. I took the remaining lifts I had for legs and calves and lowered the weight some and squeezed the living hel out of my form. For extensions and curls, I took at least 3 seconds to lower with a second squeeze at the top. For calves, I paused for a good 3 count at the bottom, squeeze for a count at the top and took a good 5 seconds to lower the weight really slow. Needless to say my legs are sore today...what a great feeling :)

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Shoulders/Arms Hypertrophy

DB Military Press
95X12
100X10
100X8

Single Arm Cable Lateral Raises
22.5X10
22.5X10

DB Rear Raises
40X10
40X10

EZ Standing Curls
115X12
115X10
115X8
115X8

DB Concentration Curls
35X15
35X15
35X13

EZ Skull Crushers
135X10
135X10
135X8
135X7

Rope Pressdowns
52.5X15
52.5X15
52.5X13

~Awesome workout and a truly sick pump! I set a personal best on DB Military Press; I've never done 100's for that many before...what can I say, I was pumped to the max. My reps are going up with the weights I'm using on most other exercises as well, so I couldn't be happier. I've lost a few pounds, so I'm back down to 220ish. That doesn't bother me...I'm getting stronger and not turning into a tubby. I'm surprised I'm not burnt out on all of this at all like I have been in previous years after competing where I start to become a little lackluster in the gym...my focus is still as sharp as it was when I was competing. I think it's because I know how much work I have ahead of me if I want to place in the IFPA shows...everyone around me seems to be competing now, so it kinda gives me the itch, but I know I can't waste time dieting...I've got work to do...

Sporto

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice workout again and congrats on the new avi thats awesome!!

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
On tap for tonight - Upper Body Hypertrophy

Machine Pulldowns - 3 sets
Rack Chins - 3 sets
Close Grip Cable Rows - 3 sets
Weighted Hangs - 1 set

DB Military Press - 3 sets
Cable Lateral Raises - 2 sets

BB Incline Press - 3 sets
Machine Flys - 2 sets

DB Seated Incline Curls - 3 sets
Preacher Curls - 2 sets
One Arm Machine Curls - 1 set (negatives)

Skull Crushers - 3 sets
Rope Pressdowns - 2 sets

I'm anxious...I feel like breaking another PR!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I talked to the president of IFPA/OCo (though email) and Ive used Superdrol in April of 2006. (three months after it was banned ; although legal) He informed me I cannot compete in till three more years in the IFPA/OCO.I'm starting to get the strength, mass, and size. and I want to compete in the IFPa/oco. What do you recommend, since you've been there yourself,
1. Go though bulk and cut phases(obviously)
2. Really diet down to show level so i'll be ready and have experience(even though I won't be on stage)
3. Only diet down and not to extreme levels(like you on the cover of Lyle McDonald's book-congrads bro)

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
This has probably become my FAVORITE overall back exercise since Layne showed them to me during my contest prep. Here I'm doing 170 for 8 reps and I've really been trying extra hard to slow the eccentric part of the movement down and control my reps. Here's the video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-cRE7Bxd2k"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

You can control how much of a pull-up motion you do vs. how much of a rowing motion you do by how far away you set your feet.

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
I talked to the president of IFPA/OCo (though email) and Ive used Superdrol in April of 2006. (three months after it was banned ; although legal) He informed me I cannot compete in till three more years in the IFPA/OCO.I'm starting to get the strength, mass, and size. and I want to compete in the IFPa/oco. What do you recommend, since you've been there yourself,
1. Go though bulk and cut phases(obviously)
2. Really diet down to show level so i'll be ready and have experience(even though I won't be on stage)
3. Only diet down and not to extreme levels(like you on the cover of Lyle McDonald's book-congrads bro)
I would opt for number 1 with mini bulking and cuting phases (like 4-6 weeks of bulking and 2 weeks of cutting).

It's a good way to stay lean but continue your progress!

Sporto

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am trying that back exercise today as i am changing my exercises this week...looking forward to it. Your form looks great with a nice slow lowering speed.

I also tried your pause squats yesterday and i can feel it a ton! I even think i need to take a longer pause but either way it was a great workout thanks for all these different tips i grab from you from lifting techniques to your split i feel like i should be paying you :p if you ever need anything just let me know as i would love to help out any way possible. :thumbsup:

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
I am trying that back exercise today as i am changing my exercises this week...looking forward to it. Your form looks great with a nice slow lowering speed.

I also tried your pause squats yesterday and i can feel it a ton! I even think i need to take a longer pause but either way it was a great workout thanks for all these different tips i grab from you from lifting techniques to your split i feel like i should be paying you :p if you ever need anything just let me know as i would love to help out any way possible. :thumbsup:
No problem...that's what I am here for!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Upper Body Hypertrophy

Rack Chins
170X9
170X8
170X8

Close Grip Cable Rows
220X10
220X10
220X10

Weighted Hangs
100X45sec

BB Incline Press
295X6
295X6
295X5

Machine Flys
225X10
225X10

Cable Lateral Raises
20X10
20X10
20X10

DB Rear Raises
40X8
40X8

DB Seated Incline Curls
40X8
40X8
40X8

Rope Pressdowns
75X10
75X10
75X10

~Ran a little short on time today, so I kept the rest in between sets really small, did some supersetting, and got an awesome pump. I'm continually trying to nail down my form on everything and focusing on squeeze and eccentric. I don't remember ever getting 295 for 6 on incline either. That sounds like another PR to me! Bodyweight was 220ish still. And everyone around me is hooked on VasoCharge lol. No more random thoughts right now other than life is good

Sporto

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did the rack chins today and they were great..they helped cause a great contraction in the lats and i really enjoyed it. Post up some more vids so i can steal them as well ;) I really wanna get some of my own vids up soon so i will try this summer.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
I did the rack chins today and they were great..they helped cause a great contraction in the lats and i really enjoyed it. Post up some more vids so i can steal them as well ;) I really wanna get some of my own vids up soon so i will try this summer.
Awesome! I'm glad you liked them! They are by far my favorite back evercise right now :)

Speaking of another video...ask and ye shall receive!!!

Tonight was a Shoulders & Arms Hypertrophy workout. I had another sick workout and an even better pump! Tonight, I snapped a video shot of my DB Military Press. Funny thing - I wanted to get the first set taped because I was confident I could get all 10 reps for the set (last time I did 95's for 12 and 100's for 10, but then my 2nd set of 100's feel to 8 reps). When my partner tried taping the first set, he didn't do it right LOL, so I had to get the 2nd set. I was able to get 9 reps, and couldn't quite get number 10 - although it's kinda funny watching me try :)

Anyway, here's the video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH3EHLB4hDU"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

I realize I'm going a little fast here, but the reps did feel solid to me and I was happy with it.

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established

DB Military Press
100X10
100X9
100X8

Single Arm Cable Lateral Raises
22.5X12
22.5X11

DB Rear Raises
40X10
40X10

EZ Standing Curls
115X12
115X12
115X12

DB Concentration Curls
35X15
35X15
35X14
35X13

EZ Skull Crushers
135X10
135X9
135X9

Rope Pressdowns
62.5X15
62.5X15
62.5X14
62.5X13

~Another great workout. I keep feeling better each day. My body is loving the offseason right now. I'm excited to see how this next year turns out. I'm really hoping to stay injury free and end up with a physique that will challenge the top IFPA pros. I'm up for the challenge! For now, I'm just going to keep focusing on each individual workout and nail my form as best as I can.

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Upper Body Power 55

BB Incline Press
165X5
165X5
165X5
165X5
165X5

Machine Flys
225X10
225X10
225X10

Rack Chins
100X5
100X5
100X5
100X5
100X5

CG Seated Rows
220X10
220X10
220X10

DB Military Press
65X5
65X5
65X5
65X5
65X5

BB Shrugs
275X5
275X5
275X5
275X5
275X5

Standing EZ Curls
75X5
75X5
75X5
75X5
75X5

DB Concentration Curls
45X8
45X8

EZ Skull Crushers
95X5
95X5
95X5
95X5
95X5

Rope Extensions
77.5X8
77.5X8

Diet:

Supplements:

Now Foods Multi-Vitamin
Ergopharm Amp
Scivation Dialene-4
Scivation Xtend
Scivation VasoCharge
Scivation Sesamin
Primaforce Max CLA
Primaforce Elastimine
Primaforce Cissus
Primaforce ZMA
USP Labs Anabolic Pump
USP Labs Pslin
USP Labs PowerFull
USP Labs SuperCissus

Bodyweight
220lbs.

~I'm back on the power/hypertrophy split starting yesterday. I gave the volume block a good hard six weeks, and I definitely feel like I've gotten stronger in the volume rep range. I can't remember ever pushing some of the weights I have been for the amount of reps I've been doing. I also feel like I look bigger than the 220 I'm currently weighing. I just feel bigger - I don't know how to explain it. Tonight is leg day and I'm going to a gym with a Hack Squat machine...I can't wait :)

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
On tap for tonight:

Hack Squats
SLDL/RDL Hybrid
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Standing Calf Raises
Seated Calf Raises

Just typing that out is getting me PSYCHED!

Sporto

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your a big inspiration bro. I havnt posted much but following along has definately inspired me to nail my diet and kill it while i train!

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Lower Body Power 55

Hack Squats
275X5
275X5
275X5
275X5
275X5

Leg Extensions
270X10
270X10

SLDL/RDL Hybrid
275X5
275X5
275X5
275X5
275X5

Leg Curls
170X10
170X10

Straight-Leg Calf Raises
300X8
300X8
300X8

Seated calf Raises
230X6
230X6
230X6

Diet

Supplements

Now Foods Multi-Vitamin
Ergopharm Amp
Scivation Dialene-4
Scivation Xtend
Scivation VasoCharge
Scivation Sesamin
Primaforce Max CLA
Primaforce Elastimine
Primaforce Cissus
Primaforce ZMA
USP Labs Anabolic Pump
USP Labs Pslin
USP Labs PowerFull
USP Labs SuperCissus

Bodyweight
220lbs.

~Another great workout for the books. I feel great as my body is taking this time to deload a bit and regroup for the PRs I'm going to break in a few weeks! I'm anxious to see where I end up strength wise. As far as I'm concerned, my PRs are already in the books! Diet was on point today and I feel great...just more momentum carrying forward to future workouts...

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
do you take creatine?
Absolutely. Pretty much all year round...even on a contest prep diet all the way up through show day!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Your a big inspiration bro. I havnt posted much but following along has definately inspired me to nail my diet and kill it while i train!
Awesome! That's what it's all about right there! Keep BUSTING IT!!!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Chest/Back Hypertrophy

Rack Chins 65
+50X10
+50X10
+50X10

CG Cable Rows
225X12
225X12
225X12

Wide Grip Machine Pulldowns
225X12
225X12
225X10

Straight Arm Pulldowns
140X15
140X15
140X13

BB Incline Press 65
145X10
145X10
145X10

DB Incline Press
100X12
100X12
100X12

Machine Flys
225X15
225X15
225X15

Diet

Supplements

Now Foods Multi-Vitamin
Ergopharm Amp
Scivation Dialene-4
Scivation Xtend
Scivation VasoCharge
Scivation Sesamin
Primaforce Max CLA
Primaforce Elastimine
Primaforce Cissus
Primaforce ZMA
USP Labs Anabolic Pump
USP Labs Pslin
USP Labs PowerFull
USP Labs SuperCissus

Bodyweight
222lbs.

~I didn't have much time this weekend to do much, but I managed to get at least one workout in. I'll be back on schedule tonight with some more shoulders and arms hypertrophy. I got a few nice compliments on how lean I look for how strong I am. NICE! Not as cool as a steroid compliment though :) I do feel like I look like I weigh more than I do. I'm glad my strength is back up to where it was before...now for some more PRs here ina couple of weeks! Outside of that, I won an OCB award this weekend for being the most symmetrical called the Chuck Buser Award. I thought it was awesome that some people thought of me enough to nominate/vote for me for this! So, to anyone reading, if you were one of those people - THANK YOU! It means a lot and I really appreciate it! The link to the award winners can be found here: http://www.theocbwebsite.com/OCBawards2007.htm.

Sporto

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very nice thats a great accomplishment!! :D

What does the 65 after the chins and Press signify?(i can't seem to find a reference to it in the log..)

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Very nice thats a great accomplishment!! :D

What does the 65 after the chins and Press signify?(i can't seem to find a reference to it in the log..)
Thanks!

The 65 means 65% of my 10 rep max :D

Sporto

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established

DB Military Press 65
65X10
65X10
65X10

Single Arm Cable Rear Raises
17.5X12
17.5X12
22.5X10

EZ Standing Curls
115X12
125X10
125X8

DB Concentration Curls
40X15
45X15
50X12

EZ Skull Crushers
135X12
135X10
135X10

Rope Pressdowns
77.5X12
77.5X12
77.5X10

Diet

Supplements

Now Foods Multi-Vitamin
Ergopharm Amp
Scivation Dialene-4
Scivation Xtend
Scivation VasoCharge
Scivation Sesamin
Primaforce Max CLA
Primaforce Elastimine
Primaforce Cissus
Primaforce ZMA
USP Labs Anabolic Pump
USP Labs Pslin
USP Labs PowerFull
USP Labs SuperCissus

Bodyweight
222lbs.

~Not much to say. I'm swamped as hell with everything going on right now. I've got a ton of stuff to catch up on at the office, so this will be short. Last night's workout went great, I kept it moving, and felt SWOLE. I'm pondering going on a mini cut for a couple of weeks. But not starting that today...I've got leg hypertrophy tonight. Should be fun!

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Legs/Calves Hypertrophy

Hack Squats 65
235X10
235X10
235X10

Leg Extensions
280X10
280X10
280X10

SLDL/RDL Hybrid 65
225X10
225X10
225X10

Leg Curls
180X10
180X10
180X10

Straight-Leg Calf Raises
250X10
250X10
250X10

Seated calf Raises
180X10
180X10
180X10

Diet

Supplements

Now Foods Multi-Vitamin
Ergopharm Amp
Scivation Dialene-4
Scivation Xtend
Scivation VasoCharge
Scivation Sesamin
Primaforce Max CLA
Primaforce Elastimine
Primaforce Cissus
Primaforce ZMA
USP Labs Anabolic Pump
USP Labs Pslin
USP Labs PowerFull
USP Labs SuperCissus

Bodyweight
222lbs.

~Great workout, great burn. I've been taking 3 seconds to lower on the extensions and curls, and squeezing for a count at the top. I've always done these continuous before, but not anymore. I get a much deeper burn and hopefully that willt ranslate to better development. I want even SICKER quads and far better glutes/hammies! I'm almost back up to the weight I was using before only this time squeezing harder and longer TUT. Good stuff.

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Upper Body Power 70

BB Incline Press
215X5
215X5
215X5
215X5

Machine Flys
230X10
230X10
230X10

Rack Chins
120X5
120X5
120X5
120X5

CG Seated Rows
225X10
225X10
225X10

DB Military Press
75X5
75X5
75X5
75X5

BB Shrugs
315X5
315X5
315X5
315X5

Standing EZ Curls
95X5
95X5
95X5
95X5

DB Concentration Curls
55X8
55X8

EZ Skull Crushers
115X5
115X5
115X5
115X5

Rope Extensions
85X8
85X8

Diet

Supplements

Now Foods Multi-Vitamin
Ergopharm Amp
Scivation Dialene-4
Scivation Xtend
Scivation VasoCharge
Scivation Sesamin
Primaforce Max CLA
Primaforce Elastimine
Primaforce Cissus
Primaforce ZMA
USP Labs Anabolic Pump
USP Labs Pslin
USP Labs PowerFull
USP Labs SuperCissus

Bodyweight
220lbs.

~I felt like a freakin' ox yesterday! I don't know what it was either...I didn't have time to eat a pre-workout meal either as I was pressed for time. But, it was almost as if the weight just felt "lighter" yesterday. My machine flys are sronger than ever even though I have slowed the eccentric and squeeze for a count at the top! I'm doing more weight now than when I was kinda just going through the motions, which is exciting! My back just feels like a power house...Rack Chins feel better and better each time. And my biceps? Forget about it. 55's on a concentration curl? WTF? I'm keeping calories at 220 until strength stalls. I kind of like just maintaining my bodyweight as I get stronger. Plus, dieting down from 250 was a bastard. LOL.

Sporto