Training naturally

S

Sparty10

Awards
I want to start bodybuilding naturally but there's so much conflicting information out there I don't know where to start. Arnold in his book says to do 15-20 sets per bodypart and work each muscle 3x per week, the 80s guys all did a 3 on 1 off or 4 on 1 off routine, the 90s guys hit each muscle once per week, and today everyone says that high frequency is the only way to train. Some people say natties should only do full body workouts and other people say not to do that.

I just kind of would like some general guidelines on where a good place to start would be. I'm in my early 20s and I'm not a total beginner but I haven't lifted since high school.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Just start and follow your heart - you will try many different exercises and routines over the next 60 years of your training.
Stay natural - I did and I am 52 and squatting 400+ lbs still. Be patient and enjoy yourself. Don't compare to others. use this to enhance your life not make it worse.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just have to realize it seems conflicting but it really isn't. Training works on a sliding scale not a binary works/doesn't work, so pretty much anything can work, but how well depends (yes that is confusing).

If training naturally and for mostly bodybuilding then it would be best to try and follow methods and science for those in similar situations. I'd suggest checking out The Muscle and Strength Pyramids if truly looking for an evidence based approach.

F

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
When I look back, way back(late 80s), when there was no internet and I had no training books, only 2 or 3 old PowerliftingUSA magazines, my training was by far the best it ever was. Never followed any programs or anyones routines, I just did things.

Over the past few months, its like I am coming back to this. I don't want to do any set weight, sets, or reps, I'm just going to do. Its best to find your own way in my opinion.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d strongly recommend looking up Menno Henselmans, Mike israetel and eric helms. Read some of their stuff to get some ideas on how to get started. Renaissance Periodization, Mike israetels site, has some solid programs if you want it made easy to get started.

Ultimately, everybody will give you different advice, mostly well intended. But you can’t go wrong with the stuff from any of those 3 guys.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Your approach tends to change as your needs do. How you will train to establish initial size now will likely be different from what you are doing in 10 years when your list of injuries, sensitivities, and niggles is greater.

Say you do 3 full body sessions weekly now, or eod. 3 years from now it could be very obvious your back is awesome but your legs or arms really need much more work. You aren’t going to keep splitting your efforts totally evenly when clearly some body parts need more attention than what’s been given them.

It’s tough to save muscle on a cut without drugs - prioritize bulking SLOWLY with precision nutrition. I don’t know of any natural bodybuilders who get Lee Priest fat in off-seasons; it’s too difficult to take that much fat off cost-effectively. Most stay really great condition year-round. @The Solution probably has some great first-hand experience to offer.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like splits, where each day there is a major body part and other mixed in. That way you are maximizing growth and strength in the major body part. This is just one example and yes, it's from the 80's... :D

3 on 1 off.

Day 1: Chest / Tri
Day 2. Back / Bi
Day 3. Legs / Shoulders / Abs
Day 4. Off

It's a beautiful program.
At the moment 5x5