Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Question of the day

Yesterday on my 340 set I noticed I was a little wobbly or unstable on the negative portion of the rep. So I had to do a quick pause at the bottom and kinda level out or regain balance before pressing back up.

This seems to happen when Im near failure but the wobbly part. Is that my lats being the weak link and not having full control of the negative portion?
Yes if your lats are weak enough they will struggle to stabilize for sure. Strong lats are what control a heavy bench. That being said, the most direct immediate solution, beyond bringing up lat strength longterm, is just going to be to consciously squeeze and bend the ever-loving-fluck out of the barbell with your lats.

Try to think about bending your palms towards one another, like you are trying to bend a bar of rebar in a strongman contest, and absolutely crushing the bar from the liftoff. Pretend that bar is someone trying to murder your family and you have them by the windpipe, I mean absolutely destroy them. When you bring that level of intensity, in full fight or flight mode, the weight will be much lighter and you can place it exactly where you want it on the chest.

Lower as fast as you can under control, and when you explode for the reversal you want to unleash a tsunami of stored energy from the lats as you try to continually drive your body away from the barbell all the way to lockout. Every moment from start to finish should be with absolute 100% effort, do NOT back off/coast at any point.

Or, you know, I guess you could just lay down & try to press it up, whatever works.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Question of the day

Yesterday on my 340 set I noticed I was a little wobbly or unstable on the negative portion of the rep. So I had to do a quick pause at the bottom and kinda level out or regain balance before pressing back up.

This seems to happen when Im near failure but the wobbly part. Is that my lats being the weak link and not having full control of the negative portion?
Yes if your lats are weak enough they will struggle to stabilize for sure. Strong lats are what control a heavy bench. That being said, the most direct immediate solution, beyond bringing up lat strength longterm, is just going to be to consciously squeeze and bend the ever-loving-fluck out of the barbell with your lats.

Try to think about bending your palms towards one another, like you are trying to bend a bar of rebar in a strongman contest, and absolutely crushing the bar from the liftoff. Pretend that bar is someone trying to murder your family and you have them by the windpipe, I mean absolutely destroy them. When you bring that level of intensity, in full fight or flight mode, the weight will be much lighter and you can place it exactly where you want it on the chest.

Lower as fast as you can under control, and when you explode for the reversal you want to unleash a tsunami of stored energy from the lats as you try to continually drive your body away from the barbell all the way to lockout. Every moment from start to finish should be with absolute 100% effort, do NOT back off/coast at any point.

Or, you know, I guess you could just lay down & try to press it up, whatever works.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've always been good at bench press, even in high school at @165lbs I was benching 275 with no clue what I was doing
Always been my weakest which sucks because we all know that's the first question you get asked. The only time I hit 350 I was 29 years old on a 750 test e, 400 deca, 50mg adrol cycle. When I tell people now that I don't even hit 275 the don't believe me. But im always like dude who cares you can bench more than me so what I have 19 inch arms and where a 2× shirt you have 14 inch arms abs where a smedium btw if you wanna get on the platform or step in the rack let's go pretty boy

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Question of the day

Hyde might correct me on this, but I’m pretty sure that’s the Lats and rear Delts, because they are stabilizers on the negative portion. And that does show up with heavy weight.
Obviously Lat and rear delt work helps their strength directly. But I do know heavy negatives can be a useful tool when you start venturing into a new max on bench.
Edit: I wrote this as Hyde posted. Lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hyde might correct me on this, but I’m pretty sure that’s the Lats and rear Delts, because they are stabilizers on the negative portion. And that does show up with heavy weight.
Obviously Lat and rear delt work helps their strength directly. But I do know heavy negatives can be a useful tool when you start venturing into a new max on bench.
Edit: I wrote this as Hyde posted. Lol
Great minds think alike

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I know it's not complicated but my brain is spinning trying to imagine doing all the things you just mentioned lol.

Well, I skipped pull today lol.

It wasn't completely intentional. I basically was shoveling concrete all day and we worked through lunch and I was fried, I kept nodding off on the way home so I skipped the gym and went to my house, cooked up a big steak and rice meal and then went out cold for the past 45min.

I could go squeeze it in now but I got laundry and meal prep to do so I'm canning it today. Il work some extra pull in over the weekend. Il do some stiff leg deads and dumbbell snatches with legs and il throw a little bit of extra volume in with lats on Sunday.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I know it's not complicated but my brain is spinning trying to imagine doing all the things you just mentioned lol.

Well, I skipped pull today lol.

It wasn't completely intentional. I basically was shoveling concrete all day and we worked through lunch and I was fried, I kept nodding off on the way home so I skipped the gym and went to my house, cooked up a big steak and rice meal and then went out cold for the past 45min.

I could go squeeze it in now but I got laundry and meal prep to do so I'm canning it today. Il work some extra pull in over the weekend. Il do some stiff leg deads and dumbbell snatches with legs and il throw a little bit of extra volume in with lats on Sunday.
Meal prep for you today too? I purposely skip the gym on Thursdays as it's my second meal prep day of the week the first I'd Sunday but I just do it after the gym in the morning since I don't work weekends

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Meal prep for you today too? I purposely skip the gym on Thursdays as it's my second meal prep day of the week the first I'd Sunday but I just do it after the gym in the morning since I don't work weekends
No i cook in bulk Sunday and Wednesday usually, but the kids ate some of my **** so I went through the fridge, saw what needed to be cooked, made dinner and then prepped tomorrow's meals. I just finished and it's 9:30pm, I should getting in bed and haven't even showered yet.

Definitely a offy day

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I actually didn't cook much Sunday this week, I bought 2 pre cooked 3lb chickens and stripped the meat off them, also threw a bag of frozen turkey meatballs in the crock with a low calorie teriyaki and that was my meat for the week but the kids made quesadillas out of my chicken lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Benchpress may be the simplest lift to begin for a novice, but it’s the most technically complicated powerlift to master. Executed at the highest level, there are more muscle groups involved than a squat or deadlift. Not talking muscle stimulation, but rather the ability to influence the outcome of the lift.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As good as the Teriyaki Turkey meatballs sound…..I’ve got to admit, I’m a steak lover, so I’d have to choose the steak and rice.
Now I think I’m gonna get some New York Strips for the grill today.🥩

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
As good as the Teriyaki Turkey meatballs sound…..I’ve got to admit, I’m a steak lover, so I’d have to choose the steak and rice.
Now I think I’m gonna get some New York Strips for the grill today.🥩
I'm a steak guy all day, the problem is my kids also love steak and my girlfriend is absolutely rediculous when it comes to my diet, I would do steak and rice for the majority of my meals but she seems to think if I'm eating steak every day I should be making the kids steak every day and it turns into a fight and a massive $$$$ problem if I try to make enough for everyone to eat steak 4-5x week.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I actually didn't cook much Sunday this week, I bought 2 pre cooked 3lb chickens and stripped the meat off them, also threw a bag of frozen turkey meatballs in the crock with a low calorie teriyaki and that was my meat for the week but the kids made quesadillas out of my chicken lol
Teaching them early I see....awesome

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Supposed to have a date night tonight and go get some appetizers and sushi, which I will but then it looks like after this weekend I need to drop carbs and calories a little and do a quick mini cut. Maybe for 7-10days and get back to about 197-198, I know it's a little stupid but I'm not going to let my weight get out of control till the end of the year/new year. And even then I'm not going to let it get out of control I'll just be a little more lenient about gaining weight.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I'm 204.1 out of nowhere, weight had been trending down to 200.8 last I checked.

INSULAGEN UPDATE: even tho my weight is up, I feel like this stuff is geared towards fat loss and nutrient partitioning. The only side effects or I should say the only effects I'm noticing so far is that it seems to make be fuller looking and get good pumps when taken pre and post workout.

I'm actually going to stop taking it next week and I'm stopping mk next week and I'm doing my little mini cut and il add it back in but I'm gonna switch the diet up.

Keep carbs limited to about 100 gm during the day, then il have intra workout carbs and a massive carb meal post workout with a double dose of insulagen. Was talking to Mike a little while back and he said if you're taking the majority of your carbohydrates post workout he doesn't see any reason why you can't take the full daily dose of insulogen all in one dose

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm also thinking about using the igf I have but instead of using it in traditional fashion I'm thinking about using it similar to how you would use insulin in small doses with meals. Post workout meal on work days and a little with every meal on the weekends.

Still need to finish this conversation with someone so they can explain it better to me because I think I'm explaining it wrong and not understanding how they said to use it.

I really don't know much about igf and insulin, I only know enough to do something stupid lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Has anyone ever used injectable B6? I'm wondering how that would work for prolactin control vs oral administration

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm also thinking about using the igf I have but instead of using it in traditional fashion I'm thinking about using it similar to how you would use insulin in small doses with meals. Post workout meal on work days and a little with every meal on the weekends.

Still need to finish this conversation with someone so they can explain it better to me because I think I'm explaining it wrong and not understanding how they said to use it.

I really don't know much about igf and insulin, I only know enough to do something stupid lol
Find the old Beast Fitness Radio episodes on GH & IGF1 use. There is definitely an episode somewhere that directly breaks down exactly how and when, timing & dose even, to apply IGF1. I remember being in a Kroger listening to it while shopping & rewinding it like 5 times trying to remember the specifics.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Find the old Beast Fitness Radio episodes on GH & IGF1 use. There is definitely an episode somewhere that directly breaks down exactly how and when, timing & dose even, to apply IGF1. I remember being in a Kroger listening to it while shopping & rewinding it like 5 times trying to remember the specifics.
What happened to his podcast, there hasn't been a episode in like 6 months that I know of, maybe longer

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What happened to his podcast, there hasn't been a episode in like 6 months that I know of, maybe longer
I assume just having 2 kids and one on the way he decided it wasn’t how he wanted to spend his time. He’s been putting snippets of educational stuff on his IG, but it’s very short form.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I assume just having 2 kids and one on the way he decided it wasn’t how he wanted to spend his time. He’s been putting snippets of educational stuff on his IG, but it’s very short form.
I don't have ig or Facebook, I gotta get on that lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Heres a strange side effect I've been getting the past 2-3 weeks.

Sometimes when I'm eating in a rush at work or eating something hard to chew I get a pump in my head around the temples, no joke.

That happened to me today and yesterday at lunch.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Bro did you eat all that in one sitting? Tell me it was your post workout meal.
I didn't eat all the wings because I didn't really like them but I ate the pot stickers, sushi and the plate directly in front of me in the picture, I also had a order of crab Rangoon and a salad that wasn't in the picture. the orange curry looking thing was my girls.

After that I ate 1/4lb of fudge from the fudge shop next door to the restaurant, then I came home and had 4 chocolate chip cookies and a package of zebra cakes.

I have a eating disorder for sure. Once I pop the fun don't stop.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I definitely relate my binge eating to quitting drinking a few years back, that's when it started. I use to go out and pound shots all night and finish the night with fast food, now when I get the itch it's a all out buffet of garbage.

Here's the upside. I can put down clean food the same way. I'm eating whatever again today and tomorrow I'm meal prepping, cleaning it up next week, a little mini cut for as long as it takes to drop x amount of weight (won't know till I weigh myself tomorrow what the damage is going to be) il get my BG back in check and il go back to a structure meal plan with good food starting about 3500 and adding as needed.

This is absolutely not how anyone should diet, this is not how I eat all the time, and this is not something I reccomend to anyone I do meal plans for.

This is my shitty way I deal with a binge eating disorder and it's not healthy.

The sad thing is ppl in my family don't think I have a food problem because I'm in shape. Sometimes il gain 20lbs in 4-6 weeks and because I still look in shape they think it's stupid that I say I need to get my eating under control.

If I didn't workout like I do and put the brakes on the binge it would only be a matter of months before I. 230-240 and have a 40in waist

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
At least you recognize who you are and where you're at right now with all of that.

Would be worse to be in denial about the whole thing and just spiral out of control.

Don't be too hard on yourself about it either. Nobody is perfect and you have room to grow just like the rest of us. If you ever decide to go all-out and tackle this aspect of your psychology/behavior I have every confidence you'll succeed.

When that day comes though: make sure those around you are aware of your decision so they can support you and not make the struggle more challenging than it needs to be.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
At least you recognize who you are and where you're at right now with all of that.

Would be worse to be in denial about the whole thing and just spiral out of control.

Don't be too hard on yourself about it either. Nobody is perfect and you have room to grow just like the rest of us. If you ever decide to go all-out and tackle this aspect of your psychology/behavior I have every confidence you'll succeed.

When that day comes though: make sure those around you are aware of your decision so they can support you and not make the struggle more challenging than it needs to be.
Honestly Im not hard on myself at all about it and I don't ever feel bad about doing what I do. I also dont think there is any negative psychological aspect to it for me.

I like food, it's what I enjoy, and to enjoy what I like I need to be aware of it so I don't binge out of control.

There's a massive difference between my overeating and a chick sticking her finger down her throat.

If anything I'd say that when my eating is out of control I'm just eating like the average American, and the average American is a fat ass that overeats and dosent exercise lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was also the little kid that are everything and had abs and then I was "skinny" guy winning eating contests.

Grew up in restaurants

Big family dinners.....

I like food lol

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I didn't eat all the wings because I didn't really like them but I ate the pot stickers, sushi and the plate directly in front of me in the picture, I also had a order of crab Rangoon and a salad that wasn't in the picture. the orange curry looking thing was my girls.

After that I ate 1/4lb of fudge from the fudge shop next door to the restaurant, then I came home and had 4 chocolate chip cookies and a package of zebra cakes.

I have a eating disorder for sure. Once I pop the fun don't stop.
Bro you need to do your mk at night before bed not in the morning ..lol

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oops my bad didn't read your next post before my first reply. I'm sorry that was a little out of line my wife battled bulimia her whole life so I don't take eating disorders lightly

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If I didn't workout like I do and put the brakes on the binge it would only be a matter of months before I. 230-240 and have a 40in waist
I know you don’t follow my log, but how would it make you feel if I told you I am barely 5’10” and the other day I was able to hit a bodyweight of 268.6lbs in the morning and 271.6 in the early evening, and I have a 45” waist at the navel? 🤣 I also just squat 585 in sleeves on a whippy power bar the other night, FWIW.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I know you don’t follow my log, but how would it make you feel if I told you I am barely 5’10” and the other day I was able to hit a bodyweight of 268.6lbs in the morning and 271.6 in the early evening, and I have a 45” waist at the navel? 🤣 I also just squat 585 in sleeves on a whippy power bar the other night, FWIW.
I do follow your log, I just don't usually have much to say there, I know that you know what your doing and even tho I have things I disagree with in there, I disagree because we have different goals, not because I think your doing something wrong. So I don't wanna just throw my opinion in for the sake of giving my opinion.

I also know that your trying to move as much weight as possible. Right now I'm actually trying to do the same, and if I didn't have these 2 weight classes 198 and then 178 5 weeks apart then I'd be just trying to gain as much weight as possible right now and compete at a heavier weight class. I also just found out the bench press is its own competition and the other stuff is separate. So I only need to focus on bench, but gaining 20-30lbs and letting my waist blow up would still help my bench significantly.

Your goals are bigger and stronger, your response to ppls questions usually leads twords that, but then you take someone like @Mathb33 who is about everything bodybuilding and his advice is going to lean heavily in that direction. I'm somewhere in the middle, trying to get the best of both worlds but limiting both with trying to stay in smaller weight classes for some fights. I'm the king of counterproductive over here, the do what I say, not what I do guy lol.

And I forgot where I was going with all this, oh I know, I was going to the kitchen to get some zebra cakes.

How does everyone feel about this, I just stepped on the scale and I know it's mid day but I'm 210 lol, up 9.2lbs in like 3-4 days🤭

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm just trying to squeeze in a few goals before I'm too old and then I'm going kitchen sink get big approach lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also, something I feel ppl who yoyo and I'm not talking about yoyo diets but ppl who constantly have to fluctuate back and forth between weight classes or certain sizes, were the ppl who recomp well, because we're not actually building any or very little new muscle. We're just using muscle memory and body composition memory to get back to where we were. I'm gonna post a picture tomorrow night with my bloated gut hanging out. It's nice and fat looking right now. And I gurentee in about 10 days of a mini cut there will be abs and my waist will be 2inches smaller.

Not because of some magic recomp cycle or special diet but just because my body is constantly bouncing between looks. Don't really know a better way to describe it. I can spend 20 days double dosing gear and using a bunch of winni and SD and il look like I pulled some miraculous transformation. But in reality it would just be me recomping back to my body's "normal" setpoint and progress would come to a screeching hault.

Not suggesting I'm going to do that

ReformedNerd

Awards
On days I don't track calories I end up eating until my stomach hurts

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How does everyone feel about this, I just stepped on the scale and I know it's mid day but I'm 210 lol, up 9.2lbs in like 3-4 days🤭
IMG_6928.JPG

The Bloatlord would be pleased

I thought you would enjoy my 45” waist. When I measure that I was like holy sh!t lol. The funny part is, I’m leaner than I was at this weight 2 years ago. My back, obliques and abs got stronger since I’ve rehabbed my back, plus all of the off-season work pounding my erectors.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Those are the wings I didn't like, I made them more crispy and put Honey mustard on them, that's all the left over fudge from last night and the bowl is 2 cups rice, chicken and steak and all the veggies no1 are at dinner. Then I covered it in Thai peanut sauce

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
View attachment 220949

I thought you would enjoy my 45” waist. When I measure that I was like holy sh!t lol. The funny part is, I’m leaner than I was at this weight 2 years ago. My back, obliques and abs got stronger since I’ve rehabbed my back, plus all of the off-season work pounding my erectors.
I've seen your pictures, there's a lot of muscle under that big white gorilla suit you wear lol. I don't know about now because I haven't seen recent pictures but I believe you were somewhere around 240 in the picture I'm thinking of and you wear your weight well. Your bodyfat seems very evenly distributed. I hold all my fat in my midsection so i get all get heavy when I bulk poorly. If my body fat was more evenly distributed I probably walk around at 230+ In bear mode

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
View attachment 220949

That guy cracks me up

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I take my mk at night, but mk only makes me hungry for the first day or 2, also, I'm always hungry so the increase is less noticeable.

I'm always hungry, tired or both lol
I take mine at night also and it's going on week 3 and I still hungry after my meals so I'll be increasing portion size this week also thought about adding more healthy fats too see I'd that helps