Train to increase vertical?

Bignick31985

Awards
Not sure how many here have worked on jumping but here goes...

33 years old, 6'2", 195lbs. Eating 3200 cals @ 100F, 350C, 225P, give or take. Not putting weight on. I'm not 20, lol, which may be hindering me. I've been doing two leg days per week, Monday and Friday, focusing on a strength leg day and then an explosive leg day. I also incorporate single leg training on both days. Core/Chest/Tris/Bis/Back/Shoulders spread through the other days.

However, while I've seen an increase in my two footed jump, and a slight increase in my single leg jumping, I am still not quite dunking.Think dunking a tennis ball and sometimes a softball.

I'm not sure what to change up or try different to help increase my vertical. The following workouts are what I'm using.

Monday:
Back Squat x3
Front Squat x3
Sumo D/L x3
Pistol Squat x3
Goblet Squat Jumps x3 or Band Pull Throughout/KB Swings

Friday:
Hex Bar D/L x3 lightweight, explosive into toes
Box Squat @ 19-20" height x3
Pistol Box Squat to Single Leg Box Jump @ 20" x3 or Bulgarian Split Squat
Weighted Box Jumps x3 OR Paused Squats focus on explosiveness x3
Elevated Reverse Lunges x3

And we play b-ball 1 day a week, so plenty of work in that 2 hours, lol.

I vary weight and reps each week, but always increase. Always adding one more rep or a slight weight increase. So that's that.

What do you guys think? I'm always open to options and ideas.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Reduce your body weight and increase your trap bar deadlift
Any program centered around increasing the deadlift will work

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Squats. Not half assed parallel squats but full olympic squats. Aim to squat 2x BW (olympic) or 2.5x BW to depth. Training movement efficiency will help but if you're weaker than a kitten your best bet is to get strong first. If you want to bring up your squat fast and boost your vert cut back to maintenance training for upper and give smolov a serious go (if you haven't already). You'll have to eat well and naturally you'll gain some weight but for a 60-100lb increase in strength a 5-10lb weight gain isn't too bad.

Bignick31985

Awards
Yeah I'd be classified as weak, lol. Current Squat is 255x1, D/L 300x1, Trap Bar 315x1 and Bench 245x1. At my BW those are pretty low. But they have improved greatly.

I've only been lifting for about 1.5 years and only really intensely for the last 8-9 months. And never lifted much even in HS.

I'd imagine I'll have to increase my food intake by a bit as well.