Torn shoulder labrum healed itself??

Bigmatt57

Bigmatt57

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Long story short back in February I was doing incline Dumbbell press and my shoulder went in extreme pain. Went to the doc (orthopedist) got a MRI and it was a torn labrum. Doc told me surgery is really the only option as this will continue to get worse. I was all set up for surgery then covid hit. After the initial first month of it being torn I couldn’t work out as it was preety painful. But since then I’ve been back to working out fully, my shoulder feels really good. Just got back from the gym we’re I hit 225 on bench for 22 reps at 155lbs haha, not gonna lie tho my shoulder is a little sore. But about a week ago I, I went to a different orthopedist for a second opinion. He reviewed the MRI tape and said at my age (24) since the tear wasn’t very severe, and since it’s not really at all painful he thinks it healed itself and he doesn’t at all recommend surgery. What are your guys thoughts on this?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What do you mean you hit 235 on bench for 22 reps at 155lbs?

Also about 30% of the population over the age of 40 has a SLAP tear of their labrum. I wouldn’t get the operation unless I absolutely had too.

Bigmatt57

Bigmatt57

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What do you mean you hit 235 on bench for 22 reps at 155lbs?

Also about 30% of the population over the age of 40 has a SLAP tear of their labrum. I wouldn’t get the operation unless I absolutely had too.
Exactly what it means haha. I benched 225lbs for 22 reps. I weigh about 155lbs.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agreed - a torn labrum is fairly common. A lot of baseball players have them. In many cases, a torn labrum does not cause a lot of pain (many who have them do not know that they do). You might want to read about into PRP, although it probably is not covered by insurance. People tend to either advocate PRP, or consider it quackery, with few being in the middle.

Last edited:

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just like others have said, fairly common. I'm a baseball pitcher and supposedly had a torn labrum according to MRI... Well they cut me open and it was perfectly intact, just super inflamed. Also read a study (can't remember exact #s) but the majority of mlb baseball pitchers had a torn labrum, with only a relatively small percent feeling pain.

Now healing itself, possible. Especially if the tear was very small. But it probably didn't heal "correctly" like how a Dr would wabt it to heal I'd imagine.