Torn Bicep Tendon (at the shoulder)

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone who has a torn (or partially torn) bicep tendon decide AGAINST reattachment surgery? If so, why? How did that decision affect your training? Any regrets?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anyone who has a torn (or partially torn) bicep tendon decide AGAINST reattachment surgery? If so, why? How did that decision affect your training? Any regrets?
If u don't reattach it, u are going to blow out your cuff next. Old people in their 80's decide not to reattach because they can still bathe themselves, wash dishes, and garden without it. That approach is not for a young person who wants to lift

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for your feedback. I am almost 67 years old. An X-ray revealed that my rotator cuff in my left shoulder is completely blown out, which shocked me since I can perform overhead shoulder press (10 reps of 160 lbs. on Smith machine), bench press (8 reps of 200 lbs. on Smith machine), and upright rows without pain. The only exception being lateral raises with a dumbbell or cable. The issue with the bicep tendon is with my right arm/shoulder. I’m having an MRI tomorrow.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m dealing with this right now. I am awaiting a surgery date since it’s my only option. The pain is incredible on most days. I can only hope this all helps.

Ps. I have 75% loss of use currently

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m dealing with this right now. I am awaiting a surgery date since it’s my only option. The pain is incredible on most days. I can only hope this all helps.

Ps. I have 75% loss of use currently
That sucks. So sorry to hear that. Isn’t it like 6 months after surgery before you can start hitting the upper body hard in the gym?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That sucks. So sorry to hear that. Isn’t it like 6 months after surgery before you can start hitting the upper body hard in the gym?
You sound like a young 67. Have the biceps and cuff repaired all at once. Both are routine ortho procedures.

Expect 6 weeks in a sling, 6 weeks of super gentle movement, then start rehab style strengthening at 12 weeks post op. I would expect to be out of the gym for 4-6 months.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bpc157 worked wonders for me. Had partial tear and now I'm ok and avoided surgery.

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bpc157 worked wonders for me. Had partial tear and now I'm ok and avoided surgery.
That’s the prognosis I’m hoping for! What are your limitations in the gym with a partial tear?

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Overheard shoulders or anything shoulders. I have to know my limits. On certain shoulder machines I have to turn and face the pad where your back normally presses on. Have to come up with different angles to work around the pain and weakness.

Bench/chest exercises as well but I'm okay now and can "manage" and train these things again...unsure if "healed" but able to do those movements again.

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Had an MRI yesterday, and got the very confusing radiology report today. Here is what is confusing:

1. "Tear of the biceps tendon at the mid humerus with retraction and adjacent hematoma/fluid collection involving the lateral aspect of the bicep brachialis muscle."
2. "The long head biceps tendon is not visualized within the bicipital groove. A portion of the intra-articular long head biceps tendon is heterogeneous and visualized intact at the bicipital anchor."

I understand why the bicep is swollen (though it is much less so than before). But I cannot find ANYTHING on the internet which discusses a tear at the mid-humerus, only a tear at the elbow or at the shoulder. My tendon is intact at the shoulder. Does my injury sound familiar to anyone?

slickwillie

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That I understand. Torn in the middle is not what I expected, based on everything I have read. In any event I will know a lot more on Monday when I go over everything with my orthopedic doctor.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any muscle fiber visibily retracting is a defined tear. Seems like the radiologist couldn't see the long head tendon. My gut says it's torn but ur ortho will look at the image and 50/50 that he/she even reads the report. Good luck bro! My vote is to get it fixed asap. Don't wait.

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fucking rough, man :( I hope it can be repaired effectively.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Honestly, I have about 3 friends now that have avoided rotator cuff surgery using BPC. I just posted a thread about my experience with it when I sprained my knee - I'm blown away. I would get my hands on some ASAP and see if 250-350mcg twice a day does for you - if it helps you avoid surgery and gets you relief, great! If not, you're no worse off than you were before.