Topic of the week: Is Overtraining BS?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Overtraining is a concept of bro science. If you feed your body what it needs and focus on rest, recovery, anything can be achieved. I've been training 3 hours full body 3-4x a week switching up rep schemes every 8-12 weeks, and I've maintained my gains since beginning lifting after a long layoff. Just got tested at 4.8 percent body fat weighing in at 184.5 , lbm sitting at 175. My point is this its more in your mind than body. Willpower is everything.
This quote is loaded with so much bro-science it's laughable. It also lacks anything that suggests you've made any observations in the real world. I tell you what, go throw your 5RM for squats on a bar today, and do 5 sets with that. Then come back tomorrow morning and do 5 sets. And do it again tomorrow night and do 5 sets. And do that 2X a day for however long you feel is necessary. Let me know when you start gaining strength. I will wait. "Anything is possible" after all.

Also - will power is complete fiction. Anyone who has ACTUALLY looked into the REAL science of it, realizes it is a myth and does not exist in the way people believe.

That's what I came in at. It is what it is. I'm still not happy with my physique, probably never will be.
If you aren't happy with your physique, why would you use it as proof that your theory is right?

Basically these two quotes together say, "I work out for 9-12 hours a week and I have a physique I am not happy with, so you should stop believing bro-science and realize overtraining is nonsense."

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Overtraining is a concept of bro science. If you feed your body what it needs and focus on rest, recovery, anything can be achieved. I've been training 3 hours full body 3-4x a week switching up rep schemes every 8-12 weeks, and I've maintained my gains since beginning lifting after a long layoff. Just got tested at 4.8 percent body fat weighing in at 184.5 , lbm sitting at 175. My point is this its more in your mind than body. Willpower is everything.
This is wrong. So, in theory, if I sleep 12 hours a day, eat nonstop for 4 hours throughout the day, and workout balls to the wall for 6 hours every day, I won’t ever start to notice a decline in performance? All without steroids too, of course.

Hell, you even said you’re only working out 3-4x per week. Bump that up to every day, twice a day. It’d be asinine, but it’d certainly be overtraining, no?

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can I see a picture of 4.8.
My training/business partner is competing in Reno tomorrow.
He's 198 at 7.5% and RIIIIIIPPPPPED.
4.8 is pretty darn lean.

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
Those of you who think overtraining is fake
Must also think the world is flat

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Those of you who think overtraining is fake
Must also think the world is flat
Honestly, I think a lot of it has to do with people THINKING they are working hard because they work long. Anyone who is putting in an all out effort won't keep that up for an hour. I mean, go sprint AS HARD AS YOU CAN and see how long you can go. It will be measured in seconds, not even minutes for 98% of the people out there. This is the reason most people can do a HIIT workout and be done in 10 minutes - how many people do you know that do HIIT (for real) for 2 hours?

So people lift weights for 2 hours and think they are working hard because they equate a large volume of difficult work with being hard work. And then they think they do it with no problem, so over training isn't real. But these people show up to the gym time after time without much increase in actual strength. It is probably good for their endurance though :)

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
Sounds like you are conflating subjective perceptions of work and effort with scientific and measurable concepts like overtraining and fatigue