Answered Topic of the Week: How important is the "pump" to you?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
The research indicates it could be very important...is it to you?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Extremely important. If I don’t get a pump, I can’t feel the muscles I’m trying to work, and then also know that my dietary and pharmacological requirements for training have not been met.

So, not getting a pump is pretty upsetting to me, I know I’ve wasted a decent amount of effort at that point, possibly even money, and most importantly: time - the thing you can’t ever get back.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Did you even workout if you didn't get a pump selfie after each workout for the Gram? :unsure:

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh man this is such a good question. As a young guy I used to live for the pump and felt it was extremely crucial to my success in my training. Now I really don't pay nearly as much attention to it so much as I live for the mind muscle connection and thrive to get every bit out of each rep and set.

Not that I don't get off on that feeling of my muscles popping through my skin and the veins pulsing on a great full out arm day assault. Just isn't as important to me as it once was. This is a damn good topic and I'm interested to hear some feedback from folks and the range of responses.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
One cannot ‘pump’ what they don’t have.

Even if ones’ end goal is to be a bodybuilder...A strength base is crucial. The vast majority of guys I see in gyms need to be training full body 3 x week, building their base and getting their compound lifts respectable. I myself still train this way and find it enjoyable.

I think that’s one reason why guys jump on gear so quickly and just “up the dose.” ...They never learn how to train. I’ve seen guys come off and they are completely unrecognizable...never have had built themselves naturally. (None of that is to say I’m anti gear!)

I see dudes following these high rep, ‘fluff and pump’ workouts for years, and they still can’t squat 300 atg...But, “they went beast mode on leg day, bro!”

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That burn and fullness cannot be denied!!! Pump is extremely important. More blood the better.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
I never chase the pump. IMO pump is temporary and I prefer the permanent swole. I believe a pump can be faked. It is not always relative to gains. I can get a ton of carbs and get a pump at first set and stop-if its a sign of successful training-or being fasted and dont get a pump even at set No.20.

If you know your body, you know what to lift, how to lift it and for how long, then pump, soreness, tiredness are all relative variables.

PS. I always enjoy a pump day with veins and all but Im not after it. If I see myself big before-and not after-a session, Im happy.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Absolutely important to get a pump. But, it also depends on your training style. If you’re in it for strength, every workout may not give you a good pump. But, that doesn’t mean your workout wasn’t good enough to put your body through stress.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just gonna go on record here to say that a real successful pump is the skin-splitting, nauseating kind that makes it incredibly hard to perform the lifts.

You do that, and get some heavy work sets in, you absolutely are growing. It’s impossible not to.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I definitely don’t live or workout for the pump and have gained plenty of size and strength with my sets of 5, and only recently started incorporating sets of 8-12 due to injuries. I’ve been watching people in the gym for years chasing the pump and not any bigger, stronger or leaner.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Important to me. Basically, no pump= insufficient caloric intake, lack of stimulus or over reaching.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
But couldn't you do bicep curls with 5 lbs, do a 100 reps, and get an awesome pump? Does that mean I've done something productive?
Awesome pump? No, definitely not. Wicked burn maybe.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
its not that important.

doing what works is important say 6-8 reps for building muscle on chest, back, , upper body. I like the feeling from time to time, but its no real indication of growth.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to not care at all because I was training purely for strength and performance. Now that I am in my 40s, I have a very solid base (1300 club) and incorporate cardio into every workout, but aethestics have become something I am interested in for ego purposes. Maybe this is my mid-life crisis, LOL, but I all of a sudden really care about being the most shredded, pumped beast at the pool. When I see all the 30-40 somethings in piece of **** shape, I want to be pumped 24x7.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can't get any pump for the life of me no matter how many reps I do or how much weight I hoist. I guess for some people it's just impossible or you have to be sub 15% bodyfat to really get pump.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I can't get any pump for the life of me no matter how many reps I do or how much weight I hoist. I guess for some people it's just impossible or you have to be sub 15% bodyfat to really get pump.
Are you low carb? How much water and sodium do you consume?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you low carb? How much water and sodium do you consume?
No I'm just doing IF. I keep my food intake mostly healthy. I don't drink as much water as I should though.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No I'm just doing IF. I keep my food intake mostly healthy. I don't drink as much water as I should though.
You might need more salt in addition to water. Keto or not, I supplement with sea salt and feel better than ever.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I find myself abstaining from high rep fluff and pump workouts even though the temptation is high to achieve that fully pumped look.
6 rep heavy compounds are the meat and potatoes for me.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I find myself abstaining from high rep fluff and pump workouts even though the temptation is high to achieve that fully pumped look.
6 rep heavy compounds are the meat and potatoes for me.
Yes

SMS

SMS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
i can´t handle "pump" or better say too much pump, it won´t let me finish my workout volumen, which i believe is much more important.

as long as you are working out correctly, there will be enough pump

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
i can´t handle "pump" or better say too much pump, it won´t let me finish my workout volumen, which i believe is much more important.

as long as you are working out correctly, there will be enough pump
Exactly, especially on gear, you just cant contract and do those last couple of reps, chinups and biceps mainly for me.

DS3317

Awards
I’m concerned with the log book. I could curl 5lb dbs and get a pump but in the end it will lead to no growth.