Unanswered Tomatidine + muscle mTORC1 signaling, - muscle atrophy, + recovery from muscle atrophy, + muscle hypertrophy & + strength and exercise capacity

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
[2014 May] Tomatidine increases skeletal muscle mTORC1 signaling, reduced skeletal muscle atrophy, enhanced recovery from skeletal muscle atrophy, stimulated skeletal muscle hypertrophy, and increased strength and exercise capacity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4031541/

Abstract

Skeletal muscle atrophy is a common and debilitating condition that lacks an effective therapy. To address this problem, we used a systems-based discovery strategy to search for a small molecule whose mRNA expression signature negatively correlates to mRNA expression signatures of human skeletal muscle atrophy. This strategy identified a natural small molecule from tomato plants, tomatidine. Using cultured skeletal myotubes from both humans and mice, we found that tomatidine stimulated mTORC1 signaling and anabolism, leading to accumulation of protein and mitochondria, and ultimately, cell growth. Furthermore, in mice, tomatidine increased skeletal muscle mTORC1 signaling, reduced skeletal muscle atrophy, enhanced recovery from skeletal muscle atrophy, stimulated skeletal muscle hypertrophy, and increased strength and exercise capacity. Collectively, these results identify tomatidine as a novel small molecule inhibitor of muscle atrophy. Tomatidine may have utility as a therapeutic agent or lead compound for skeletal muscle atrophy.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Using cultured skeletal myotubes...

Furthermore, in mice...

how much this wonder chemical?

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Using cultured skeletal myotubes...

Furthermore, in mice...

how much this wonder chemical?

It's been studied in living creatures but more for it's other benefits.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5387417/

"Here we show that tomatidine extends lifespan and healthspan in C. elegans, an animal model of aging which shares many major longevity pathways with mammals. Tomatidine improves many C. elegans behaviors related to healthspan and muscle health, including increased pharyngeal pumping, swimming movement, and reduced percentage of severely damaged muscle cells. Microarray, imaging, and behavioral analyses reveal that tomatidine maintains mitochondrial homeostasis by modulating mitochondrial biogenesis and PINK-1/DCT-1-dependent mitophagy. Mechanistically, tomatidine induces mitochondrial hormesis by mildly inducing ROS production, which in turn activates the SKN-1/Nrf2 pathway and possibly other cellular antioxidant response pathways, followed by increased mitophagy. This mechanism occurs in C. elegans, primary rat neurons, and human cells. Our data suggest that tomatidine may delay some physiological aspects of aging, and points to new approaches for pharmacological interventions for diseases of aging. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5745703/

"Tomatidine is isolated from the fruits of tomato plants and found to have anti-inflammatory effects in macrophages. In the present study, we investigated whether tomatidine suppresses airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) and eosinophil infiltration in asthmatic mice. BALB/c mice were sensitized with ovalbumin and treated with tomatidine by intraperitoneal injection. Airway resistance was measured by intubation analysis as an indication of airway responsiveness, and histological studies were performed to evaluate eosinophil infiltration in lung tissue. Tomatidine reduced AHR and decreased eosinophil infiltration in the lungs of asthmatic mice. Tomatidine suppressed Th2 cytokine production in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. Tomatidine also blocked the expression of inflammatory and Th2 cytokine genes in lung tissue. In vitro, tomatidine inhibited proinflammatory cytokines and CCL11 production in inflammatory BEAS-2B bronchial epithelial cells. These results indicate that tomatidine contributes to the amelioration of AHR and eosinophil infiltration by blocking the inflammatory response and Th2 cell activity in asthmatic mice. "

Holds up so far in transitioning from cellular to animal studies. Currently it's in the preclinical stage.

Last edited:

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's been studied in living creatures but more for it's other benefits.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5387417/

"Here we show that tomatidine extends lifespan and healthspan in C. elegans, an animal model of aging which shares many major longevity pathways with mammals. Tomatidine improves many C. elegans behaviors related to healthspan and muscle health, including increased pharyngeal pumping, swimming movement, and reduced percentage of severely damaged muscle cells. Microarray, imaging, and behavioral analyses reveal that tomatidine maintains mitochondrial homeostasis by modulating mitochondrial biogenesis and PINK-1/DCT-1-dependent mitophagy. Mechanistically, tomatidine induces mitochondrial hormesis by mildly inducing ROS production, which in turn activates the SKN-1/Nrf2 pathway and possibly other cellular antioxidant response pathways, followed by increased mitophagy. This mechanism occurs in C. elegans, primary rat neurons, and human cells. Our data suggest that tomatidine may delay some physiological aspects of aging, and points to new approaches for pharmacological interventions for diseases of aging. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5745703/

"Tomatidine is isolated from the fruits of tomato plants and found to have anti-inflammatory effects in macrophages. In the present study, we investigated whether tomatidine suppresses airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) and eosinophil infiltration in asthmatic mice. BALB/c mice were sensitized with ovalbumin and treated with tomatidine by intraperitoneal injection. Airway resistance was measured by intubation analysis as an indication of airway responsiveness, and histological studies were performed to evaluate eosinophil infiltration in lung tissue. Tomatidine reduced AHR and decreased eosinophil infiltration in the lungs of asthmatic mice. Tomatidine suppressed Th2 cytokine production in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. Tomatidine also blocked the expression of inflammatory and Th2 cytokine genes in lung tissue. In vitro, tomatidine inhibited proinflammatory cytokines and CCL11 production in inflammatory BEAS-2B bronchial epithelial cells. These results indicate that tomatidine contributes to the amelioration of AHR and eosinophil infiltration by blocking the inflammatory response and Th2 cell activity in asthmatic mice. "

Holds up so far in transitioning from cellular to animal studies. Currently it's in the preclinical stage.
Those 2 abstracts hardly make this an enticing way to spend $70....especially considering dosing and biovailabilty.

I do like this idea of something like this between cycles, but there are better, more researched avenues.

AICAR and/or carnadine would be better, without any hormonal supression.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Those 2 abstracts hardly make this an enticing way to spend $70....especially considering dosing and biovailabilty.

I do like this idea of something like this between cycles, but there are better, more researched avenues.

AICAR and/or carnadine would be better, without any hormonal supression.
If $70 is alot for you I would agree but at present no one else has come out with it yet.

Animals used as low as ∼0.04% and was orally active so I'm not sure what factor the bioavailable issue would be provided people took human equivalent dosing.

Until more research is done no one can say which would be better depending on the goal we can only go off what we know so far.

Although given carnadine caused cancer in many organs which is why all clinical research on it was dropped I'm not sure if that would be a better choice.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If $70 is alot for you I would agree but at present no one else has come out with it yet.

Animals used as low as ∼0.04% and was orally active so I'm not sure what factor the bioavailable issue would be provided people took human equivalent dosing.

Until more research is done no one can say which would be better depending on the goal we can only go off what we know so far.

Although given carnadine caused cancer in many organs which is why all clinical research on it was dropped I'm not sure if that would be a better choice.
$70 is a lot to throw out the window.

Carnadine does not cause cancer is doses we would take it in, actually is anti-cancerous is such dosages.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
@Danes might have some feelings on this.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

$70 is a lot to throw out the window.

Carnadine does not cause cancer is doses we would take it in, actually is anti-cancerous is such dosages.
Well that is not true at all.. Researchers (not internt bros) is the precise role of PPARb/d in cancer, particularly in humans, however, remains unclear as reports continue to emerge showing that agonists may either increase or protect against different cancers. Not matter what any person says, its still in the we don't actually know category.

Australia classified GW501615 as a poisonious substance in April 2018...in b4 conspiracy theorists

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
GW is good for lipids and can help with endurance but that’s about it.
The Antaeus Labs Titan product did nothing for me. Maybe it would have done something if it were dosed much higher but then cost would be an issue.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"living creatures", lol... glad to see marketing juggernaut still living and well, hahaha!. i think rob reggish say he take green tomato and see nothing but green going up in smoke :)

gw501516 - since not sell it, or have ever sold it, there liability is zero for me: the fact of drug are only ever tested for performance (endurance/fat as substrate) in mice at something like 5mg/kg (all numbers are best guess as i didn't save all notes, but idea will be seen). that 5mg/kg when h.e.d. was something like 38mg total for human dose. notice that supp people sold in 10mg (iirc) pills - that nowhere near what mice showed as effective, so off the bat you not taking what worked in mouse. then gsk test for cancer (for fun, type "ppar cancer" into google and be amazed at how many wrong times they make drug) - lowest dose that cause cancer was female rat (every single one) at 3mg/kg. when h.e.d, that dose work to be something like 44mg total for people (like 100 kilo dude) - THAT PRETTY CRAZY CLOSE!!!!

all that ^ is on both pubmed (orig mouse performance) and in a journal gsk reported all rat cancer studies in - both findable online. anyone that gives you different data is either lying or ignorant.

interesting that here - "dumb bro" would be less risk if listen to company and only take under dose 10mg... and evidence based bro probably would have taken 40-50mg and be at risk more (if stupid enough to ignore gsk data).

i really like logic of "i take because of mouse performance data", and in second breath say "i'm not a female rat"... hahahaha!

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well that is not true at all.. Researchers (not internt bros) is the precise role of PPARb/d in cancer, particularly in humans, however, remains unclear as reports continue to emerge showing that agonists may either increase or protect against different cancers. Not matter what any person says, its still in the we don't actually know category.

Australia classified GW501615 as a poisonious substance in April 2018...in b4 conspiracy theorists
It's certainly not conclusive until they do more studies on it but given the risk the drug company gave up on all future research. It does make you wonder why they dropped it if the risk wasn't high after all they invested millions into it and at least 4 human studies. Given the short term safety the risk probably is higher when taken long term but without anymore research into it's an unknown.