Tight hips an hamstrings the cause for knee issues?

CC10

Awards
On my squats I am having trouble keeping my knees out on weight that's about 70% an higher. I squat deep, an during my reps my knees will want to sink in to a 45 degree angle. I want to fix this issue before I lift any heavier. I was wonder if its problem stemming from tight hips an hamstring by not being able to get good mobility at the bottom of the movement?

My plan is to drop back in weight to around 30-50% an practice my form an do mobility exercise 2-3 times a week.

CC10

Awards
Sorry for the bad grammar I'm typing on my phone here at work.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you mean the knees want to come in towards each other?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This happened to me a long time ago when I first started to squat.

Here is the "best" advice IMO, I got...

Just stop doing it.
I am not trying to be a smart ass. Just make yourself aware when you want to do it and do not do it. Keep the knees in line. When you want to bring them together to get the harder reps, just stay conscious of your form and keep sticking it. Keep the knees out and either stop the set (if you cannot get the rep) or learn to push with the legs and form staying tight. With a little time, you will build the muscles and strength and should be able to just habitually keep your form.
You might be surprised that after a short bit of time, (maybe using good manageable weights even if you have to drop a little) it pretty much becomes second nature.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This happened to me a long time ago when I first started to squat.

Here is the "best" advice IMO, I got...

Just stop doing it.
I am not trying to be a smart ass. Just make yourself aware when you want to do it and do not do it. Keep the knees in line. When you want to bring them together to get the harder reps, just stay conscious of your form and keep sticking it. Keep the knees out and either stop the set (if you cannot get the rep) or learn to push with the legs and form staying tight. With a little time, you will build the muscles and strength and should be able to just habitually keep your form.
You might be surprised that after a short bit of time, (maybe using good manageable weights even if you have to drop a little) it pretty much becomes second nature.
Paul's right. Focus on the movement and cues for good form. Attention to your knee movement is usually all you need to fix that issue.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cue external rotation the entire time. Squeeze your glutes which will create external rotation in your hips. In return, "screw" your feet into the ground as you squat. It will create much more torque and this will allow your knees to move outwards as your hips open, and also lessen the forward lean of your shins. Then cue yourself the same on the way back up and this will prevent knee collapse. Depending on your stance width, you may want to cue "spread the floor" with your feet. Everyone is different. Just find what works for you.

And don't wear normal running shoes to squat. Make sure it's a stable sole that won't compress and shift under a load.

CC10

Awards
Thanks for the response. Next sessions ill try all these things. For shoes I have basketballs shoes with hard rubber soles an some skaterboarding type shoes with hard bottom soles would those work. I may venture out an get some chucks one day.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i find its rarely hamstring tightness that causes lack of depth on squats but hip adductors and flexors. work on those with deep goblet squats and look up hip mobility drills on mobilitywod.com.

also, this part is controversial, but point your feet more forward. not bring them in our out, but rotate the feet inward so they point more forward. you will see olympic lifters do this.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I second what Ozzie says on toe angle if you have a moderate stance. Not straight forward, but not flared either.