The Unofficial Ice Cream thread

Awards
  • Established
What threw it off was that they're with the organic foods area.. Who knows how long they've been there

Awards
  • Established
Couple of other interesting brands in that section as well. I will post up pics soon

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't resist any longer so I caved in and grabbed the coolhaus molten chocolate cake ice cream pint. I was initially impressed both with the presentation, description and the evidence (clear container) of the amount of mix-ins which were easily seen on the bottom of the pint.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1429660094.140601.jpg

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1429660106.939455.jpg

Upon cracking open the pint I was shocked to see large chewy molten cake chunks spread across the top of the pint that were insanely tasty. With that I found fudge clumps and swirls throughout the pint that were delicious. The pint has nice silky chocolate base that almost reminds me of a frozen custard (which is a HUGE plus). This was the best chocolate "everything" pint I've tried to date with an almost overly plentiful Amount of amazing mix ins (which isn't possible, but to each their own)

Grade: A

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1429660358.794647.jpg

And yes, there are gooey cake chunks throughout as well :)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dairy Queen Salted Caramel Truffle Blizzard

http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/284/dairy-salted-caramel-truffle-blizzard

The Sea Salt Caramel's have a nice chocolate shell and are filled with a liquid caramel that melt in your mouth. The Toffee pieces were buttery, thick, and crunchy that provided a great crispy texture to the blizzard. Pair that with chocolate fudge chunks and it was like a diced up brownie mixed into the vanilla soft serve. A Very unique combination dairy queen put together to make one of their best blizzards in my opinion. While I do not think this tops the density and flavor the S'mores blizzard packed, it sure gave it a run for its money. While this is still limited I would suggest picking it up.

Grade: B+

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Couldn't resist any longer so I caved in and grabbed the coolhaus molten chocolate cake ice cream pint. I was initially impressed both with the presentation, description and the evidence (clear container) of the amount of mix-ins which were easily seen on the bottom of the pint.

View attachment 118031

View attachment 118032

Upon cracking open the pint I was shocked to see large chewy molten cake chunks spread across the top of the pint that were insanely tasty. With that I found fudge clumps and swirls throughout the pint that were delicious. The pint has nice silky chocolate base that almost reminds me of a frozen custard (which is a HUGE plus). This was the best chocolate "everything" pint I've tried to date with an almost overly plentiful Amount of amazing mix ins (which isn't possible, but to each their own)

View attachment 118034

And yes, there are gooey cake chunks throughout as well :)
Should I try out Coolhaus or do you recommend something else in VA? Cost is not a constraint lol (biz trip).

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Jeni's to Recall all products due to health risks:

https://jenis.com/recall/

April 23, 2015 – Columbus, Ohio – Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has initiated a voluntary recall of all ice creams, frozen yogurts, sorbets, and ice cream sandwiches for all flavors and containers because of the possible presence of Listeria monocytogenes. The company is ceasing all sales and closing all scoop shops until all products are ensured to be 100% safe.

Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals infected by Listeria may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, infected pregnant women can suffer miscarriages or stillbirths.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Wow.

Multiple companies and occasions now.
Could it have been a mutual ingredient source?

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually quite concerning. The Jeni's I went to looked very clean so never know what you can trust.
Could be a supplier issue too but equally disappointing.

Serious question, if you have a pint of Jeni's in your freezer will you be eating it?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually quite concerning. The Jeni's I went to looked very clean so never know what you can trust.
Could be a supplier issue too but equally disappointing.

Serious question, if you have a pint of Jeni's in your freezer will you be eating it?
I'll still be eating mine my immune system is strong....I hope lol

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll still be eating mine my immune system is strong....I hope lol
Dude don't take the risk. Bring it with you next week and I'll dispose of it safely ;)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Jeni's 7 Layer Bar

http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/286/jenis-7-layer-bar

Even though Jeni's is not known for mix-ins this pint is one that separates itself from the pack. Hands down a top 5 flavor next to Brown Butter Almond Brittle, Brambleberry, The Buckeye State, and Buttercup Pumpkin with Amaretti Cookies. The superior milk chocolate base complimented with smoked almonds, coconut, and graham crackers makes a delicious combination. Soon after your first bite of the base alone it leaves you lingering for another. A must try from Jeni's and a superior flavor that is one of their best.

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
Wow, I thought for sure when I clicked this thread it was going to have been started by bob, but I see he was in on first page regardless :D

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll try it tonight.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1430666754.785841.jpg

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
since Bob helped to ignite my ice cream addiction in a way it was :)

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One of my favorite exclusives that I don't ever hear mentioned is Nutty Caramel Swirl at 7eleven.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1430685481.561378.jpg

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
has there been other B&J flavours with a nougat base? love nougat!!
Not sure, but I can't think of any. Candy Bar Pie has a nougat swirl. Big fan of both.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was unaware about that 7 - Eleven flavor. Sounds like it would have a Snickers vibe.
It's been around for a long time. Yup, and Snickers is my favorite candy bar.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
BLVD+Cheesecake+Brownie.jpg

Just picked this up from Whole Foods today. Only took a couple bites but so far it's amazing. I think they nailed the cheesecake flavor.

Waiting to see how many brownie pieces are in it though as that will be the deciding factor. I like big pieces and lots of mix-ins.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I forget who had it but what was the final verdict on the coolhaus pint? Found 3-4 flavors by me and am debating.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Probably much better than Ben and Jerry's cheesecake brownie

One of the word pints from them IMO
Haven't tried the Ben and Jerry's one, but this brand is really good. They had a few other flavors there too so will try them next time I go.

I forget who had it but what was the final verdict on the coolhaus pint? Found 3-4 flavors by me and am debating.
When in doubt, buy them all.

Awards
  • Established
It was me, the brownie one was legit! Almost custard like texture too! Next up are the cookie kind for me

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Sweet. Thanks guys. I'll be picking some up on my next run to the store then

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Chocolate Shoppe Cookie Dough:

http://theicecreaminformant.freeforums.net/thread/287/chocolate-shoppe-cookie-dough

As I ventured down the pint I did run into some legit size cookie dough pieces. Small round balls that you would get when making a customized ice cream at coldstone. These were full size balls of cookie dough, that were soft, light, and packed a dense amount of cookie dough flavor. Combine that with a cookie dough base and the flavoring was very strong. Strong enough to the point i questioned if I should pour myself a cup of milk on the side. The liquid chocolate chips remind me of baked chocolate chips biting into a cookie right out of the oven. Melt in your mouth and scattered all over the place. After a few spoonfuls they were hit or miss throughout the pint. Besides only a half dozen cookie dough balls and a lacking amount of chocolate chips this will get a B Grade.

Grade: B

Awards
  • Established
Looks like standard cookie dough bites.. Waiting for legit nonuniform chunks of dough to appear in a premier brand ?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
It looks light on mix ins, you going to try it?
Talenti always is, as most gelatos

Really like Talenti

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Talenti always is, as most gelatos

Really like Talenti
I've only had the caramel cookie crunch and despite everyone telling me it sucked, I didn't think it was that bad lol. Maybe I had low expectations, would rate a B-

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
When you try Sea Salt Carmel, Salted Peanut Caramel, Choc Pb Cup, Southern Butter Pecan, Chocolate Hazelnut your eyebrow will raise.
SSC and SBP were great

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a few unique pints from a local shop in NY area I'll be trying this month. Interested to see how they stack up against the brand names.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm having the first one Friday night.
You want to see pics of the unopened pints or after I pop the top and dig in?
yes?

Awards
  • Established
Archer farms does it right. I like most everything they make... Especially the trail mixes <3

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Finally found the tonight dough. So psyched

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
The regular chocolate base is meh from Ben and Jerry Heard the dark chocolate in roasted and toasted is a major upgrade
My favourite kind of mix ins sold me
I'd buy it again as I have no better dough pints available to me

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
My favourite kind of mix ins sold me
I'd buy it again as I have no better dough pints available to me
This. I'm more interested in good mix ins then I am in a great base. Mix ins are the fun part

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It looks light on mix ins, you going to try it?
Got this a couple days ago. I really like it, but I really like the other talenti coconut gelato. It isn't mind blowing, but if you like coconut flavors and you like talenti you'll like it. I felt there was plenty chocolate pieces, they were in every bite and you'd have to try to avoid them to not get any.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Aus brahs should try this. 380 calories for one, with mix in's

11151054_940974365960065_5099961634002467487_n.jpg

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Aus has that,

US has Arctic Zero and Wink

Canada has nothing

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Aus has that,

Canada has nothing
yea but i don't there's no Aldi's in WA yet and also it's limited edtion. i wish we could get the snickerdoodle skinny cows i really wan't to try them only been on the caramel ones lately. i don't really mind low calorie ice creams just makes for nice mental rewards when dieting.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Aus has that,

Canada has nothing
Canada has free healthcare, therefore you don't need to diet. When you have a heart attack from getting too fat on ice cream, you're covered...