The Swede's Transformation Log

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Some epic volume being moved here. Very nice. Sounds like you’ve got “I’m the man” syndrome, a good feeling for sure. Keep up the solid work!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
General Update: Feeling strong AF! And thick AF! So glad I’m back at it, but dayyum, gotta get quicker on my posting game on here too!

Going to hit legs tomorrow after I mow, and then get after some food prep cooking thanks to some inspiration from my man @Dustin07

Also, I don’t foresee the need to start my research chems anytime soon as I’m making progress with weights and reps each workout. So I guess we’ll just plan on seeing how I feel September and then figure out a cycle from there. I mean, I want to get on it lol! But I’d prefer to build back to where I was before I throw some **** down the hatch.
a lot of people (including me) could benefit from following your approach here.

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Some epic volume being moved here. Very nice. Sounds like you’ve got “I’m the man” syndrome, a good feeling for sure. Keep up the solid work!
Tell me about it brother. I mean I’m humble when I’m in there, try to talk and smile to everybody as there’s just a really kind and friendly group of folks in the morning crew.

But yeah, in my mind, I’m like The Rock! Lol!

In all seriousness though, it just feels SO GOOD to be PAIN FREE! That thing really hurt for a while and I’m a really tough guy, I mean I’ve had back surgery and lived through that pain for a few years before I finally got cut.

But I also remember that I’m just a man that’s trying to out bread on the table, and that’s always my number one priority.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
General Update: Feeling strong AF! And thick AF! So glad I’m back at it, but dayyum, gotta get quicker on my posting game on here too!

Going to hit legs tomorrow after I mow, and then get after some food prep cooking thanks to some inspiration from my man @Dustin07

Also, I don’t foresee the need to start my research chems anytime soon as I’m making progress with weights and reps each workout. So I guess we’ll just plan on seeing how I feel September and then figure out a cycle from there. I mean, I want to get on it lol! But I’d prefer to build back to where I was before I throw some **** down the hatch.
right on dude! a little meal prep goes a long ways towards your success!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tell me about it brother. I mean I’m humble when I’m in there, try to talk and smile to everybody as there’s just a really kind and friendly group of folks in the morning crew.

But yeah, in my mind, I’m like The Rock! Lol!

In all seriousness though, it just feels SO GOOD to be PAIN FREE! That thing really hurt for a while and I’m a really tough guy, I mean I’ve had back surgery and lived through that pain for a few years before I finally got cut.

But I also remember that I’m just a man that’s trying to out bread on the table, and that’s always my number one priority.
Long-standing pain that hurts badly and prevents you from pursuing normal activities can make you feel impotent for sure. I felt this way for my time away from the iron and it really did a number on me. It was like part of my identity was gone. First world problem I suppose, but we are what we are, and it’s all relative. In any case, glad you’re back on top and regaining strength/size quickly before your next rendezvous.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
yes and for some reason of all the pains a person can experience back pain is by far the most stressful and mentally crushing. there is a very large growing body of scientific study indicating that a TON of back pain is neurological. If our brains can create so much pain in our back it is easy for me to see how pain in our back can also create pain in our brains. it can feel soul crushing at times.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
yes and for some reason of all the pains a person can experience back pain is by far the most stressful and mentally crushing. there is a very large growing body of scientific study indicating that a TON of back pain is neurological. If our brains can create so much pain in our back it is easy for me to see how pain in our back can also create pain in our brains. it can feel soul crushing at times.
So true man.

The fear of pain is inhibiting and leads to depression.

The experience of pain is stimulating.

The only way to avoid depression after trauma is to embrace the pain. Pain killers and bed are no good.

When I injured my back, this philosophy led me to several decent flare ups, but in hindsight I feel it was healthier to push myself too far than to never push myself at all. Also, every flare up was a massive learning experience, and eventually I found a way to heal (mostly!).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So true man.

The only way to avoid depression after trauma is to embrace the pain. Pain killers and bed are no good.

When I injured my back, this philosophy led me to several decent flare ups, but in hindsight I feel it was healthier to push myself too far than to never push myself at all. Also, every flare up was a massive learning experience, and eventually I found a way to heal (mostly!).
Actually I believe that's how I overcame panic / anxiety attacks I developed around age 35. They hit me out of the blue so severely I went to the ER for a heart attack. I had a 42 or some stupid low resting heart rate. The nurses basically laughed at me and told me it was a panic attack. I researched it and learned a lot about the risk of chemical dependency if I got meds and... Every morning on my drive to work if I felt an attack I turned the radio as loud as I could, with the loudest angry music I could find. Instead of pulling over and passing out from exhaustion of the attack I decided I was going to rewire my brain back to the way it should be. When the fight or flight drug released into my system I was gonna fight, not flight.

Maybe I got lucky but it seemed to work for me, actively working to rewire myself. I spent two full days locked in my loft after the ER visit because loud noises, even walking into a cafe for a coffee set off the attacks. I was afraid my life would be over and I couldn't even go outside anymore if I didn't find a solution

I think mental strength applies to so many areas of life.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So true man.

Well put.

Opioids reduce your pain threshold and increase SHBG to boot.

Prolonged bed rest causes muscle loss, loss of joint mobility, and more pain.

I learned the hard way, after enduring a great slew of surgeries.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's crazy how action is always the best solution it seems. Except when rest is the solution

Knowing the time for each is sometimes near impossible

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Actually I believe that's how I overcame panic / anxiety attacks I developed around age 35. They hit me out of the blue so severely I went to the ER for a heart attack. I had a 42 or some stupid low resting heart rate. The nurses basically laughed at me and told me it was a panic attack. I researched it and learned a lot about the risk of chemical dependency if I got meds and... Every morning on my drive to work if I felt an attack I turned the radio as loud as I could, with the loudest angry music I could find. Instead of pulling over and passing out from exhaustion of the attack I decided I was going to rewire my brain back to the way it should be. When the fight or flight drug released into my system I was gonna fight, not flight.

Maybe I got lucky but it seemed to work for me, actively working to rewire myself. I spent two full days locked in my loft after the ER visit because loud noises, even walking into a cafe for a coffee set off the attacks. I was afraid my life would be over and I couldn't even go outside anymore if I didn't find a solution

I think mental strength applies to so many areas of life.
We now know the brain is plastic. It can absolutely be rewired and programmed to operate entirely differently.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is very true. I’ve trained many people where ‘pain’ was preventing them from doing a certain exercise.

One women in particular, couldn’t do burpees apparently. Now I got to know her and it was a genuine couldn’t do rather than a didn’t want to do. In her head they would cause her pain and therefore they did when she tried them,

So in a class she was in I had them do a walkout into press up, literally the same movements but renamed. She did it no problem. After the class I explained it to her, next class she did burpees.

Seen this many many times, the expectation of pain is what causes the pain.

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Arms - Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 5:01 AM

Seated Palms Up Wrist Curl (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 15 lb × 15
Set 2: 20 lb × 15
Set 3: 25 lb × 15
Set 4: 35 lb × 12
Set 5: 35 lb × 12

Triceps Extension (Dumbbell)
Set 6: 35 lb × 12

Hammer Machine Curl
Set 1: 25 lb × 12
Set 2: 25 lb × 15
Set 3: 25 lb × 12
Set 4: 25 lb × 12

Notes: Single Arm

Triceps Extension
Set 1: 70 lb × 12
Set 2: 70 lb × 15
Set 3: 70 lb × 12
Set 4: 70 lb × 12

Notes: Fat Grip

Bicep Curl (Machine)
Set 1: 40 lb × 12
Set 2: 40 lb × 11
Set 3: 40 lb × 9
Set 4: 40 lb × 12

Triceps Extension (Machine)
Set 1: 40 lb × 15
Set 2: 40 lb × 15
Set 3: 40 lb × 15
Set 4: 40 lb × 15

Notes: Had to be a quick one today as I had some personal stuff to attend to today before work. Really just a pump workout and those veins really started popping!

Going to work on my forearms and calves this evening as well. Y’all have a good day!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Hammer Machine Curl

Triceps Extension

Bicep Curl (Machine)

Notes: Had to be a quick one today as I had some personal stuff to attend to today before work. Really just a pump workout and those veins really started popping!

Going to work on my forearms and calves this evening as well. Y’all have a good day!
this wouldn’t be a quick one for me 😂

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Hammer Machine Curl

Triceps Extension

Bicep Curl (Machine)

I love when a week comes together and I feel like I can get all my main power lifts done well, then save a nice "poptart" session for the weekend where I can enjoy all the more fun vanity stuff like biceps, triceps etc.

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bet you got a nice pump squeezing it that much
Man, it was so great! “Explosive” is the word in looking for!

But in all seriousness, I love working those grippers and it’s amazing how “weak” your grip can become after a layoff. I used to be able to close #1.5 roughly 8 times or so, focusing on clean closes, not shoddy closes. My goal was to buy the #2 and then #2.5 and start playing with those. I may wait another month or two before I pull the trigger on those now.

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Chest- Friday, August 6, 2021 at 5:05 AM

Bench Press (Barbell)
Set 1: 45 lb × 15
Set 2: 45 lb × 15
Set 3: 95 lb × 15
Set 4: 95 lb × 12
Set 5: 135 lb × 10
Set 6: 135 lb × 10
Set 7: 185 lb × 12
Set 8: 185 lb × 10
Set 9: 185 lb × 10

Standing Calf Raise (Machine)
Set 1: 180 lb × 20
Set 2: 180 lb × 18
Set 3: 180 lb × 17
Set 4: 180 lb × 15

Incline Bench Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 45 lb × 12
Set 2: 50 lb × 10
Set 3: 50 lb × 10

Pec Deck (Machine)
Set 1: 115 lb × 10
Set 2: 110 lb × 10
Set 3: 110 lb × 10

Chest Dip
Set 1: 8 reps
Set 2: 8 reps
Set 3: 8 reps

Notes: found myself extra cautious this morning, really trying to focus on warming up and not aggravating the injury area. Bench was ok, everything else was great! Excited to see dip reps increase without any pain. Could have squeezed out more reps, but keep reminding myself that slow and steady wins the race here. I feel like if I follow this progression, I’ll be back to heavier weights by September, which means I’ll probably look at doing a bench only meet in January.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lotta volume here. Nice session!