The OFFICIAL Guns/Firearms/Knives Thread!

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Oh of course! That's in 49 states except for here
Not in communfornia man you can't do person to person transactions with an ffl being involved unless you are buying a relic and I don't know if you can even do that any more

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Not in communfornia man you can't do person to person transactions with an ffl being involved unless you are buying a relic and I don't know if you can even do that any more
Well Illinois is the only with this silly FOID card. I just spent a week shooting in Florida. You can buy guns and ammo after drinking a 12 pack and bring it home while you're sitting in the tailgate of a pickup truck. Well not really but just about.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
Well Illinois is the only with this silly FOID card. I just spent a week shooting in Florida. You can buy guns and ammo after drinking a 12 pack and bring it home while you're sitting in the tailgate of a pickup truck. Well not really but just about.
Make your way down to the free states brother. In Texas I have bought and sold arms in Walmart parking lots. Same way you buy anything from Craigslist. Lol

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Make your way down to the free states brother. In Texas I have bought and sold arms in Walmart parking lots. Same way you buy anything from Craigslist. Lol
Oh yes, some day I will. But unfortunately not this day...

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
That's the way it should be

Slappy244

Slappy244

Awards
^this! but it was actually a gold's gym parking lot. lulz

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I picked up my 80% polymer lower yesterday from Ares armor got the desert sand color now I just have to get a drill press to mill out the holes and my build will be off off and away!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kimber solo CDP with Crimson Trace laser grip. Just waiting on my Firearm Owner ID card from the state police. Again, only in IL. Should be a couple weeks........ Lame
Just some FYI and food for thought on this. Particularly since the response is for someone who lives with crazy strict gun laws.

If a firearm is used to hurt or kill someone, even in defense of themselves and their home having things attached to their firearm light laser sights, lights, and in general any modifications could potentially land the person in real trouble legally. Even if they were in the right. The state and courts can view the matter in a whole other light. Especially if the bad guy or their family decide to sue. Not a great example, but one that is off the top of my mind is how the prosecutors in the George Zimmerman case went after the fact he was carrying a round in the chamber. Legally one would be better off if they simply were proficient and used a stock firearm. Sucks and is bull**** I agree. I also agree with the cliche saying of rather be judged by however many than carried by six. That being said there are a lot of folks out there who were in the right of self defense, but had to endure agonizing amounts of time in the legal system, convictions and jail time, and/or significant monetary loss because of legal bull**** like that. For me, I'll take a reliable no frills $300 pistol like a sig p250, spend some more time at the range having fun since I'll be there anyways, and hopefully make life potentially a little easier if I ever have to use it.

If I'm using a 9mm for CCW or home defense, which is what I prefer and use fulc it I'm still using hollow points.

Something else to consider when purchasing a self defense or CCW is that if you ever have to use it either expect not to get it back or if you do not in very good shape. It will have been taken as evidence, torn apart, inspected, various tests and what not. Very good chance it will not make it back to you in good shape. Therefore it would actually be highly recommended to purchase a good reliable weapon that you are comfortable with that also isn't going to be a lot of $$$ gone if it comes back to you damaged or like crap. Just a few thoughts on self defense and CCW.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Yes yes, great points. A $300 9mm will do the same job as this $800+ kimber. I was thinking the laser will help my wife who has never shot. On the other hand, I was always taught to discharge in self-defense (as in home invasion with intent to harm) in such a manner that there will be no defendant available to testify...

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Yes yes, great points. A $300 9mm will do the same job as this $800+ kimber. I was thinking the laser will help my wife who has never shot. On the other hand, I was always taught to discharge in self-defense (as in home invasion with intent to harm) in such a manner that there will be no defendant available to testify...
Thats the reason my Ruger p-95 is loaded up with hollow points, it only cost me 250, it is accurate and doesnt jam. Plus I know that gun can take a beating because ill be god damned if the try and keep if some MF comes in my house and tries anything. I will be getting that gun back!

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
P250 is not a throw away gun. I'd much rather have a P250 in a gunfight than a Kimber Solo.

"A weapon should be hardy not decorative" - Miyamoto Musashi

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
P250 is not a throw away gun. I'd much rather have a P250 in a gunfight than a Kimber Solo. "A weapon should be hardy not decorative" - Miyamoto Musashi
Didn't mean to imply it was a throw away gun, but rather it is a really solid firearm that can be had at a very modest price, usually in the 300 dollar range. Which makes it a very good option to use since if it is kept with evidence for a long time, indefinitely, or returned in terrible condition it simply won't hurt your pocket so much.

Nice touch with the musashi quote

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Didn't mean to imply it was a throw away gun, but rather it is a really solid firearm that can be had at a very modest price, usually in the 300 dollar range. Which makes it a very good option to use since if it is kept with evidence for a long time, indefinitely, or returned in terrible condition it simply won't hurt your pocket so much.

Nice touch with the musashi quote
Yes, this.
Any other suggestions for a first gun? Remember my wife has never shot. Cheaper is better but not cheapest. $3-400 new would be perfect. That way I can buy a safe and whatever else. The kimber at $800+ is more than I wanted to spend at this time.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Yes, this.
Any other suggestions for a first gun? Remember my wife has never shot. Cheaper is better but not cheapest. $3-400 new would be perfect. That way I can buy a safe and whatever else. The kimber at $800+ is more than I wanted to spend at this time.
I have a Taurus 38 special that is easy on recoil, you can keep loaded, and since it is a revolver has a very low risk of misfiring. Cheaperthandirt has some right in the price you are looking for

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Yes, this.
Ruger sigma is a good cheap(ish) one. Any store has them for around 250. Big sights. Easy to use. Comes in a range of calibers and sizes from sub compact to full size. Cant go wrong with it

Slappy244

Slappy244

Awards
I think its rugwr than makes the sigma. If im wrong please correct me
S&W makes the sigma. i had the .40 and sold it. the trigger was ****.

the taurus 24/7 kinda sucks too. i had to send my mags back to the factory because it would fail to feed and jam every 2-3 shots.

after the mags came back from taurus, one worked well the other still had problems. while i was waiting on taurus to fix the mags i bought a glock 30. i love my glock 30. way better gun IMO.

if you want a good "cheap" gun, buy a little revolver. i don't care how gangster a potential car-jacker is, you can't be gangster with 6 holes in your chest.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
S&W makes the sigma. i had the .40 and sold it. the trigger was ****.

the taurus 24/7 kinda sucks too. i had to send my mags back to the factory because it would fail to feed and jam every 2-3 shots.

after the mags came back from taurus, one worked well the other still had problems. while i was waiting on taurus to fix the mags i bought a glock 30. i love my glock 30. way better gun IMO.

if you want a good "cheap" gun, buy a little revolver. i don't care how gangster a potential car-jacker is, you can't be gangster with 6 holes in your chest.
Couldnt agree more and thanks for the corection on the sandw. Thw 2 timea i shot one i never had any problema. It was fun and really managable. Was it anything like my cuatom px4 or 1911? Heavens no but it was still a decent little gun for sub 3bills.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
I had an S&W SD9VE the newer version of the Sigma it was a great gun for the money. Shot straight and went boom every time I pulled the trigger. I didn't care for the trigger or none adjustable grip, felt like the gun was made for smaller hands. All that said I'd buy another one if I got a good deal on a used gun.

Another advantage of the P250 is that because of the way the DAO trigger works the slide rack is very easy, and a woman who has trouble racking slides would have no issues operating this gun.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had an S&W SD9VE the newer version of the Sigma it was a great gun for the money. Shot straight and went boom every time I pulled the trigger. I didn't care for the trigger or none adjustable grip, felt like the gun was made for smaller hands. All that said I'd buy another one if I got a good deal on a used gun. Another advantage of the P250 is that because of the way the DAO trigger works the slide rack is very easy, and a woman who has trouble racking slides would have no issues operating this gun.
And to add on to the p250 it is modular so you have the ability to change calibers and size. Makes it great to find the right fit and expand with caliber desires.

Also to caveat off caliber. 9mm hollows are my preferred defense rounds. They will inflict similar damage to a standard larger round, the size allows larger magazine capacity which can be huge in a self defense stressful situation because even well trained folks can miss. It happens. They are cheaper than larger calibers and lastly with 9mm hollows you have less potential to punch through walls in your home and hitting someone else, like a family member.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
It's hard not to love 9mm. I carry it 5 days a week in my p938 (Hornady critical defense). The other 2 days it's an M&P 357c. I find 357 sig to be a really impressive cartridge for a pistol I give up some capacity vs 9mm but if I can conceal that gun I can keep a spare mag too so that's 21 rounds (Winchester PDX1).

Also worth noting that my m&p will feed and fire 9mm and 40cal with a barrel change ($60 each @ midway)

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
What's up fellas. Just made my first gun purchase which being 30 yrs old is kinda ridiculous. Lol anyway just read through this entire thread and just wanted to say its good stuff. I don't know d1ck about guns but gotta start somewhere I guess.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
What's up fellas. Just made my first gun purchase which being 30 yrs old is kinda ridiculous. Lol anyway just read through this entire thread and just wanted to say its good stuff. I don't know d1ck about guns but gotta start somewhere I guess.
That's awesome man better late than never! Good peeps with guns makes everybody safer. Shoot every month brother!

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
At any age is a good age to get in to guns. Be for a Hobby or protection it can be a very addictive.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm seeing it can be addictive lol. I've been saying something is gonna go down in this country sooner or later and I've always wanted to get a gun so I finally pulled the trigger for Christmas. Pun intended

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
So...What did ya get?! Haha

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Bushmaster ar-15. I just put the foregrip w/ flashlight and a red dot on it. You guys ever heard of monstrum tactical. It was inexpensive but I was pleasantly surprised with the quality

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
Dope! Every carbine needs a light a harness and optics. After that take some carbine classes.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Lol it took a lil time convincing the wife that "we" needed one.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I bought most of my guns before my wife and I got married, but luckily she's into firearms as well so there's pretty even attention on both sides.

I have two .223 AR15's, both are Bushmaster. I keep one in my truck and one in the house. The handgun I carry on me is a Kimber .45 that I keep in my truck. I also keep a pump action .870 remington magnum shotgun in my truck. In the house I keep a .40acp Smith & Wesson with 2 16 round clips, an identical .9MM (S&D series), a S&W .38special (wife's), Sig Sayer 1911 edition .45 with 4 8 round clips, a springfield .40 xd, and a model 1200 .12 gauge pump action shotgun. In hunting rifles I've got a savage .30-06, stevens .243, marlin .270 (all bolt action), marlin .30-06 (lever action) and of course the AR. I couldn't count the knives if I sat down and tried.

But my favorite of them all is my 2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder bow. Shoots like a dream :).

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I bought most of my guns before my wife and I got married, but luckily she's into firearms as well so there's pretty even attention on both sides.

I have two .223 AR15's, both are Bushmaster. I keep one in my truck and one in the house. The handgun I carry on me is a Kimber .45 that I keep in my truck. I also keep a pump action .870 remington magnum shotgun in my truck. In the house I keep a .40acp Smith & Wesson with 2 16 round clips, an identical .9MM (S&D series), a S&W .38special (wife's), Sig Sayer 1911 edition .45 with 4 8 round clips, a springfield .40 xd, and a model 1200 .12 gauge pump action shotgun. In hunting rifles I've got a savage .30-06, stevens .243, marlin .270 (all bolt action), marlin .30-06 (lever action) and of course the AR. I couldn't count the knives if I sat down and tried.

But my favorite of them all is my 2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder bow. Shoots like a dream :).
All this AND he lifts!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
All this AND he lifts!
LOL thanks man. Yeah, I've been shooting since I was about 10 years old. Been lifting weights since I was 14-15. Both are a huge part of my life.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
LOL thanks man. Yeah, I've been shooting since I was about 10 years old. Been lifting weights since I was 14-15. Both are a huge part of my life.
Living the dream my man. Waiting on my silly firearms ID card from the state police. Then, it's off to the gun shop (and the wife's buying!)

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards

You got some sweet stuff. I love bows and bow hunting its so much fun.

I might have to debate you on your choice of archery gear though. For what you pay for a hoyt-ive never been real impressed. Especially since they went to that split limb technology--talk about a pain in the ass to tune.

My favorite bows have been my mathews (3rd gen solocam) and my PSE Stingray. Ive since got last years PSE and OMG its straight butter on the draw. Im gonna put some heavy duty cams and bump the draw weight to 110 on it so i can go hunt me some lion and cape buffalo in july xD ::so happy::

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
If you don't mind me asking. Why do you keep two guns in your truck this may just be the paranoia kicking in from living in the city but aren't you worried someone is going to break into your truck?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's hard not to love 9mm.
I concur. My first pistol was a Ruger P-95 in 9 mm. And it's been my most consistent ammo and pistol. Thousands of rounds and only 1 stove pipe. Plus, 17 + 1 vs. 10 or 12 + 1 in .45? What's not to love?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
You got some sweet stuff. I love bows and bow hunting its so much fun.

I might have to debate you on your choice of archery gear though. For what you pay for a hoyt-ive never been real impressed. Especially since they went to that split limb technology--talk about a pain in the ass to tune.

My favorite bows have been my mathews (3rd gen solocam) and my PSE Stingray. Ive since got last years PSE and OMG its straight butter on the draw. Im gonna put some heavy duty cams and bump the draw weight to 110 on it so i can go hunt me some lion and cape buffalo in july xD ::so happy::
I like split limb. They're a lot quieter IMO than a standard limb. I like Mathews myself, but the Hoyt alphashox in the split limb also seem to absorb a lot of the vibration of the shot. I've just always shot Hoyt. Don't get me wrong, there's been times I've highly considered a Mathews, especially the Creed and the new Chill, but just seems I've always stuck with Hoyt for some reason although I'm thinking long and hard of the new Bowtech. :)

I've never been much on PSE though. They're by far the fastest bows but their draw cycle and noise has always been an issue with me. I shot the PSE Omen and it's probably the fastest bow I've ever laid my hands on. I've never shot the stinger though so it may be different.

If you don't mind me asking. Why do you keep two guns in your truck this may just be the paranoia kicking in from living in the city but aren't you worried someone is going to break into your truck?
I don't live in the city lol. I live in a quiet farm area. The house closest to mine is probably about 1,000 yards away and there's a wilderness known for some pretty creepy things behind where I live. I'd rather die than live in a city. Don't get me wrong, I can only drive 10-15 minutes and be on the interstate near Johnson City/Bristol, but I actually live in a very quiet area; my house is pretty secluded.

I've always kept three guns in my truck. My kimber .45 is my concealed carry that stays in there, but my shotgun and AR15 just stay in there in case of breaking down somewhere where I might need them. They are intended for completely different situations. You never know when you and some friends could be driving down the road and run into some pretty bad trouble and it's a lot safer in general when everyone is armed. :)

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
You never know when you and some friends could be driving down the road and run into some pretty bad trouble and it's a lot safer in general when everyone is armed. :)
I agree 100%

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
I like split limb. They're a lot quieter IMO than a standard limb. I like Mathews myself, but the Hoyt alphashox in the split limb also seem to absorb a lot of the vibration of the shot. I've just always shot Hoyt. Don't get me wrong, there's been times I've highly considered a Mathews, especially the Creed and the new Chill, but just seems I've always stuck with Hoyt for some reason although I'm thinking long and hard of the new Bowtech. :)

I've never been much on PSE though. They're by far the fastest bows but their draw cycle and noise has always been an issue with me. I shot the PSE Omen and it's probably the fastest bow I've ever laid my hands on. I've never shot the stinger though so it may be different.
That new bowtech does look pretty sweet. And your right about PSE being the fastest. There consistently 15-30fps faster through a chrono than any other bow ive shot. Ive personally developed this theory on the quietness of bows- even the loudest ones are still quieter than the softest guns. and 2. Although certain bows have a greater affinity for shock/noise reduction, the real difference is made with bling and gear. Ill never buy another bow without putting a doinker and sneekee dropaway rest with a pair sneekee string breaks and limb dampers.

but to give you an idea-The cams im putting on for my africa rig-I shot a 1200 grain shaft with a 300 grain tip @ 422 fps. :) If that doesnt put a hole in everything that i come across i dont know any other rig that would. (but then again thats why i have a guide/backup/safety with either a .375 h+h or a .458standing right behind me)

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
That new bowtech does look pretty sweet. And your right about PSE being the fastest. There consistently 15-30fps faster through a chrono than any other bow ive shot. Ive personally developed this theory on the quietness of bows- even the loudest ones are still quieter than the softest guns. and 2. Although certain bows have a greater affinity for shock/noise reduction, the real difference is made with bling and gear. Ill never buy another bow without putting a doinker and sneekee dropaway rest with a pair sneekee string breaks and limb dampers.
Oh yeah, definitely quieter than a gun lol. I use string dampers, QAD ultra-rest drop away and a Hoyt pro series stabilizer; although the stabilizer doesn't do much for noise but it does vibration. I think the new PSE is shooting 370fps IBO (70lbs, 30 inches, 350 grain arrow tested) but Bowtech and Mathews are getting close with 360fps.

but to give you an idea-The cams im putting on for my africa rig-I shot a 1200 grain shaft with a 300 grain tip @ 422 fps. :) If that doesnt put a hole in everything that i come across i dont know any other rig that would. (but then again thats why i have a guide/backup/safety with either a .375 h+h or a .458standing right behind me)
That's a lot of kinetic energy. I've shot a .375 h+h before and those things have some serious knockdown power.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Went and shot the gun yesterday with the boys. Man what a good time. First time I ever shot an ar-15. It was a blast (yes another pun)

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Went and shot the gun yesterday with the boys. Man what a good time. First time I ever shot an ar-15. It was a blast (yes another pun)
My brother in law gets tanorite charges and we blow stuff up at our shooting pit. We sent a car muffler 25 ft. in the air using our AR's. You can't use big caliber guns on the charges though because they don't move fast enough to detonate them. Loud as hell though.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
My brother in law gets tanorite charges and we blow stuff up at our shooting pit. We sent a car muffler 25 ft. in the air using our AR's. You can't use big caliber guns on the charges though because they don't move fast enough to detonate them. Loud as hell though.
Those tanorite targets are crazy fun!

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those tanorite targets are crazy fun!
Damn straight they are! We put one in an old fridge 2 weeks ago, measured out its location, marked it on the front of the door, and when we shoot through the door it blew the door right off. It was just awesome.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Damn straight they are! We put one in an old fridge 2 weeks ago, measured out its location, marked it on the front of the door, and when we shoot through the door it blew the door right off. It was just awesome.
Some buddies and I went to this outside range a couple of years ago and filled a few pumpkins up with that stuff and put them out there and we scared a couple of people with the explosion it was really funny. But once people realized what was in the pumpkins just about everyone there started shooting at them

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys recommend for some flip up iron sights for around $100. Anything decent? I'm looking at the magpul