The 100 Rep Squat Challenge - Any Takers ?

Theguy2121

Awards
Is this with just the bar or with 135lb? If just the bar, I might try it and see how many reps i can get on my next leg day

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is this with just the bar or with 135lb? If just the bar, I might try it and see how many reps i can get on my next leg day
@Theguy2121 - Thank you for excepting the challenge! Bare Bar (45lbs) squat to parallel (or lower) Rest Pause OK but when you rack the bar you are done. Lets us know how you make out.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I have a busy summer schedule of work and vacations, so I’m only doing maintenance workouts until the fall so I can fit this in without messing up any other plans. I’ve also done 10x10 squats with 135 lbs before and I hated it, so that’s another great reason to accept the challenge. I’m going to take this on today and report back in a few…

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a busy summer schedule of work and vacations, so I’m only doing maintenance workouts until the fall so I can fit this in without messing up any other plans. I’ve also done 10x10 squats with 135 lbs before and I hated it, so that’s another great reason to accept the challenge. I’m going to take this on today and report back in a few…
Yeah the 10x10 was German Volume Training, back in the day, and it will put it on you. It’s great for arms too. 🔥

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the 10x10 was German Volume Training, back in the day, and it will put it on you. It’s great for arms too. 🔥
GVT is the bomb if you can suffer through it for the whole time.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anxious to hear back - Good Luck, and thank you for excepting the challenge !!

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah the 10x10 was German Volume Training, back in the day, and it will put it on you. It’s great for arms too.
I remember a version of that….one week you would do 5x5 then the next week was 10x10. I remember seeing in Muscle & Fitness many years ago.

DarleneHawkins

DarleneHawkins

Awards
Holla, howdy all:)
I am new aboard and the thread's title has caught my eyes, would anyone make a challenge with me?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am new aboard and the thread's title has caught my eyes, would anyone make a challenge with me?
Welcome to the board!

You are welcome to get in on this one. Just get under an empty Olympic barbell and try to get 100 reps without putting the bar down. Let us know how you did in here. Show the boys how to do it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Welcome to the board!

You are welcome to get in on this one. Just get under an empty Olympic barbell and try to get 100 reps without putting the bar down. Let us know how you did in here. Show the boys how to do it

100% You are more than welcome to get in on this, Thanks for joining !!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Welcome…..always open to new people. A lot of great people on this forum all trying to help each other.

Uncle_E

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Anxious to hear back - Good Luck, and thank you for excepting the challenge !!
Well I’m happy that I saw this post and took on the challenge. I sometimes struggle with high volume workouts from a mental stand point, I think it’s like an ADHD thing where I struggle to maintain focus and immediately want to move on to the next exercise - so the 100 rep challenge was good for me mentally and physically.

I wasn’t sure if I would make it all the way through, so I started at 100 and counted down. I wanted to get at least 50 reps, but after the first 50 I got into a groove and knew I would make it. The squat racks were full, so I did it at a bench and it worked out better. I used the bench to make sure I had consistent depth each rep, just breaking 90 degrees and touching my ass to the bench. I had to pause a few times but never put the bar down. I want to try this maybe once a month going forward, and try to get to a point where I can rep out 100 continuously with a rhythm.

I wasn’t too sore after, but my quads are still incredibly tight. I did it on a Wednesday afternoon, on Friday morning I tried to jump from the back of a truck onto a loading dock, my legs locked up mid-air and I thought I was going down, lol. I managed to roll forward into a wall rather than off the dock, and no one was there to see it

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well I’m happy that I saw this post and took on the challenge. I sometimes struggle with high volume workouts from a mental stand point, I think it’s like an ADHD thing where I struggle to maintain focus and immediately want to move on to the next exercise - so the 100 rep challenge was good for me mentally and physically.

I wasn’t sure if I would make it all the way through, so I started at 100 and counted down. I wanted to get at least 50 reps, but after the first 50 I got into a groove and knew I would make it. The squat racks were full, so I did it at a bench and it worked out better. I used the bench to make sure I had consistent depth each rep, just breaking 90 degrees and touching my ass to the bench. I had to pause a few times but never put the bar down. I want to try this maybe once a month going forward, and try to get to a point where I can rep out 100 continuously with a rhythm.

I wasn’t too sore after, but my quads are still incredibly tight. I did it on a Wednesday afternoon, on Friday morning I tried to jump from the back of a truck onto a loading dock, my legs locked up mid-air and I thought I was going down, lol. I managed to roll forward into a wall rather than off the dock, and no one was there to see it
Thank you for taking the challenge and concurring it! And it good no one was there to see you fall !!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Alright I gave this another shot….I decided to be much more prepared, and knowing how the last time got to my knees, I decided to wear wraps.
So I wore wraps and chose not to go as deep, and just broke parallel.
This time went much better, and I was able to actually do 110 reps. Knees did start acting up again, but nowhere near as bad, and no back pumps. It is definitely a challenge not to underestimate and to be prepared.
Now I may see in a few weeks how many reps at 135 I could get, just out of curiosity.👍

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Alright I gave this another shot….I decided to be much more prepared, and knowing how the last time got to my knees, I decided to wear wraps.
This time went much better, and I was able to actually do 110 reps. Knees did start acting up again, but nowhere near as bad, and no back pumps. It is definitely a challenge not to underestimate and to be prepared.
Now I may see in a few weeks how many reps at 135 I could get, just out of curiosity.👍
Good job, man!
.... Just don't hurt yourself.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember back in the day, (early 90s) a fellow Marine that used to compete told me for legs he would do 4x25 on squats. He said heavy leg days didn't work for him. I tried his routine and stuck with it. It definitely helped put on size and also kept my lower back injury free. I've been doing that ever since.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Very nice, I can't wait to see how many you can get with 135lbs ??

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember back in the day, (early 90s) a fellow Marine that used to compete told me for legs he would do 4x25 on squats. He said heavy leg days didn't work for him. I tried his routine and stuck with it. It definitely helped put on size and also kept my lower back injury free. I've been doing that ever since.
I have always enjoyed 5X20

Theguy2121

Awards
@Theguy2121 - Thank you for excepting the challenge! Bare Bar (45lbs) squat to parallel (or lower) Rest Pause OK but when you rack the bar you are done. Lets us know how you make out.
Damn I only managed to get in 56 reps before the back pump got too overwhelming to finish 😂

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn I only managed to get in 56 reps before the back pump got too overwhelming to finish 😂
Yep, it’ll surprise you if you haven’t been doing a lot if high reps lately. Same thing happened to me the first time, and only got 75. The old knees started aching, but man those back pumps is what had stopped me.
Sunday I was able to get 110 reps after making sure I was well hydrated and took extra electrolytes and Taurine.
Try that, and you might get it next week.
Good job giving it a shot though.👍