The 100 Rep Squat Challenge - Any Takers ?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I got this idea from a @SHORSE

It is simple (1) Bare Olympic Bar (45lbs) and a Squat Rack, No Smith or any other machines. You can rest pause, but once you rack the weight you are done.

If you try it add your name to the list and how many reps you got. If you only get 10 thanks for trying, if you make it to 100 you have done well, if you get past 100 you are among the elite !!

Squat On Brethren !!!

Please Tag (Challenge) Who ever you would like to. @Hyde @BOSSMAN @stacy1212

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Quarter squats are only worth .25, so you gotta do 400 if you ain't going low enough! :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes il finish off my boxing workouts with 100 rep quarter squat in my boxing stance with the bar. I'm not intentionally doing quarter squats but that's about the depth you go to duck a punch. It's still surprisingly challenging. Especially when your already tired

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Question, we doing parallel squats or ass to grass, hamstrings touching your calves. And do we stop at 100 or just go till we quit

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm just here to be impressed by what you guys do, my leg days already have me limping around bad enough for the following 3 days as it is.

I say do them however you wanna do em. Not like this is going in any record books or there's any verifiability of numbers/technique. Main thing is don't get hurt by pushing so far that you fall over or collapse!

Might not be a bad idea to say what depth you went to on your reps though. If you say you did 100 reps ATG it'll sound a lot more impressive than if you didn't qualify it and we had no idea what depth you hit.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Question, we doing parallel squats or ass to grass, hamstrings touching your calves. And do we stop at 100 or just go till we quit
Parallel, or lower if you would like, go till you can go no more. And if you need to know what getting every last rep in looks like check out the @jtmass squat video!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think you need to at least get to parallel, something that would pass in most powerlifting raw federations. I mean that’s what generally passes for a squat by universal standards: crease of the hip at or below top of knee.

I am definitely not going to try this: 100 reps is a LOT of bends, and I only have so much collagen left in there! I so a couple sets of 25 bodyweight as a warmup sometimes before I get under the bar, and that’s brutal enough! No way I could make 100.

This really is a good challenge, deceptively sinister.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think you need to at least get to parallel, something that would pass in most powerlifting raw federations. I mean that’s what generally passes for a squat by universal standards: crease of the hip at or below top of knee.

I am definitely not going to try this: 100 reps is a LOT of bends, and I only have so much collagen left in there! I so a couple sets of 25 bodyweight as a warmup sometimes before I get under the bar, and that’s brutal enough! No way I could make 100.

This really is a good challenge, deceptively sinister.
Anyone you would lie to challenge ???

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Come on folks tag your buddies !! Maybe @The Solution ?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Im going ass to grass, I actually find with high reps going to parallel is more tiring then atg because when you go rock bottom you get a short break at the bottom lol. I'm doing legs as we speak. Will finish with 100 rep bar squat

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So I planned to do it after my leg workout but the lower back pump I had was serious. So I left the gym and went home and after about a 30min break I dragged a barbell out to my yard and did "in rest pause fashion" I did

37,25,18,10,10,10=110

I didn't find it super challenging as a leg exercise but it was brutal on my lower back. I got a feeling I'm gonna be hunched over tomorrow now lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Anyone you would lie to challenge ???
@wfreiling might enjoy the struggle!

So I planned to do it after my leg workout but the lower back pump I had was serious. So I left the gym and went home and after about a 30min break I dragged a barbell out to my yard and did "in rest pause fashion" I did

37,25,18,10,10,10=110

I didn't find it super challenging as a leg exercise but it was brutal on my lower back. I got a feeling I'm gonna be hunched over tomorrow now lol
I am amazed you did that; a testament to your conditioning!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yesterday was Leg Day so I had to give it a go, when I started I thought I will never make it to 100, at about 30 res I knew it was impossible, at about 60 reps, I didn't know how many more I could do, at 101 reps I crawled out of the squat rack !! I don't think I will ever do it again !!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@MrKleen73 ? @gphagan1 @enhanced @GQdaLEGEND @Renew1 @LeanEngineer @rascal14 @Tunaking14

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Legs are not super sore today, but my ankles.... Holy crap there all swollen and stiff lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Now that I think about it I shouldn't speak too soon. The workout was only like 12 hours ago. Doms might not have set in yet

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Legs are not super sore today, but my ankles.... Holy crap there all swollen and stiff lol
Now that I think about it I shouldn't speak too soon. The workout was only like 12 hours ago. Doms might not have set in yet
My legs aren't as sore as I thought they would be ? I must have not worked hard enough :unsure:

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My legs aren't as sore as I thought they would be ? I must have not worked hard enough :unsure:
Soreness is not a indicator of a good workout, you should never be chasing soreness.

But, I spoke too soon. My legs keep getting more and more sore as the day goes on. Hopefully it won't screw me up too bad for work tomorrow

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Made it to 75 ATG, but man my knees started to protest around 45, and by the time 70 rolled around, back pumps joined the party.
I don’t even think if the knees hadn’t started hurting I would have finished….that back pump was debilitating.
Way harder than it sounds…..impressive Rocket and Smont.
I believe those that have been doing higher rep workouts are going to do better at this obviously, but don’t underestimate squatting just the bar. 😭

Last edited:
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Made it to 75 ATG, but man my knees started to protest around 45, and by the time 70 rolled around, back pumps joined the party.
I don’t even think if the knees hadn’t started hurting I would have finished….that back pump was debilitating.
Way harder than it sounds…..impressive Rocket and Smont.
I believe those that I have been doing higher rep workouts are going to do better at this obviously, but don’t underestimate squatting just the bar. 😭
Thanks for giving it a try !! Respect (y)

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ve gotta follow to see how far you guys get!

Tunaking14

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Try it on the preacher curls with just the bar or even a 5lb. plate on each side.......I couldn't move my arms straight for a week the last time I did that!!

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So check this out.

One of Jesse Marundes old training partners Sarge.

RIP to Jesse as today is his 15th year anniversary of his death :(

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Christ lol. Ouch!

I'm gonna start working on 185 for 100. I'm thinking I can probably do about 50 rest pause style at the moment. Hoping that it will help with leg endurance in the ring
I won a contest in undergrad at a gym. 1998?

It is easy bodyweight for reps on bench, pullups and squat. I weighed 185 all natural w 3-4 years in comp. But training since I was 8.

I got 35+ on bench, 30+ on pullups and on squat 100.

No one else came close except the second place guy. He was furious he lost. He was a 300lb bodybuilder on a ton of steroids. I was competing then but not on any AAS.

He got 300lbs for like 50 reps in squat which is an INSANE feat.

He thought what he did was way better than me. I may agree. But rules are rules and I won.

I couldn't walk for a week.

I won a big screen TV at that time which was like $2,000 and the gym never actually gave it to me!!!

New York Sports Club. **** em they went bankrupt now and I did it for fun anyways. Lol

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yesterday was Leg Day so I had to give it a go, when I started I thought I will never make it to 100, at about 30 res I knew it was impossible, at about 60 reps, I didn't know how many more I could do, at 101 reps I crawled out of the squat rack !! I don't think I will ever do it again !!!
Dang that's impressive! I'm going to have to take a rain check on the 101 reps :LOL: I'd be toast for days after that!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My legs and glutes are a little sore, but not too bad. Man my knees felt like I needed a little WD40 this morning, but I chose Helios instead. I actually feel pretty good after walking around at work all morning. Normally I have meetings, but I had to go check on some machines so the early morning walk actually helped.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As tempting as this is, too much of a chance for something to go wrong with the only things I am able to train aggressively right now. Legs... I would beat myself up pretty bad mentally if I did this and caused myself any downtime.

Congrats and impressed by those who completed it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry guys! this was just me having some fun with Rocket. I didn't know it would turn into this.😂
Time for you to get under that bar !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry guys! this was just me having some fun with Rocket. I didn't know it would turn into this.😂
See what you started !!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wonder what it's like doing 100 reps of bench with just the bar. Probably easier if I had to guess.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yep, way easier…..just the body weight and the distance you squat makes the bar squats harder.
Yes a body weight squat if way harder, than extending your arms holding nothing

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
@MrKleen73 ? @gphagan1 @enhanced @GQdaLEGEND @Renew1 @LeanEngineer @rascal14 @Tunaking14

ohh did not see this .. or maybe ignored it after reading a title lol jk

im always up for a challenge .. will attempt this saturday since im not doing football sprints.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ohh did not see this .. or maybe ignored it after reading a title lol jk

im always up for a challenge .. will attempt this saturday since im not doing football sprints.
Report Back @GQdaLEGEND Has No Fear !!