Surprised? Black Market Steroids Usually Mislabeled: abc news

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
By Karla Gale
December 7, 2009

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The risks of anabolic steroids - used by some athletes to build muscle mass - are by now well-documented. But it turns out, perhaps not surprisingly, that steroids bought illegally through "underground labs" and over the internet generally aren't what their labels say they are, researchers reported yesterday at the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry's annual meeting in Los Angeles.

Steroid users often complain that the drugs they had bought - often at significant expense - don't work, or have serious side effects. "Actual data regarding the composition of steroids obtained on the black market are scarce," however, presenter Dr. D. Zach Smith, of Boston Medical Center, told Reuters Health by email.

"Many labs in the US refuse to analyze suspected steroids," he continued, "so users are not able to determine with any degree of certainty if the steroids they are using are labeled or dosed correctly."

Smith and his colleagues looked at 217 studies that had analyzed the chemical makeup of illegally obtained anabolic steroids.

The researchers found that almost a third - 30 percent -- of samples others had analyzed did not contain any of the drugs listed on their labels.

Even when the samples did include an anabolic steroid, nearly half - 44 percent -- contained the wrong dosages, either much lower or much higher. One sample had less than one percent of the dosage its label claimed, while another had more than five times as much.

Unexpectedly high doses could lead to more severe cases of all the potential harms associated with steroids, Smith said: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, shrinkage of the testicles, enlarged male breasts, and acne.

There is also "more evidence accumulating that the likelihood of having a bad reaction with severe psychiatric symptoms including mania, hostility, or aggression, is linked to higher dosages," he said.

One in five of the samples was contaminated with heavy metals such as tin, lead, and arsenic. Such metals can have toxic effects on the nervous and digestive systems, as well as the muscles.

Would steroid users "be willing to risk serious legal consequences and prosecution for a steroid either so underdosed as to be worthless, or contaminated with heavy metals?" asked Smith. "These questions deserve to be asked, and as clinicians we owe our patients an informed and fully accurate discussion."

OZjames007

OZjames007

Awards
yes isnt it obvious that we will risk it.. we risk our endo health more so than anything legal... Obviously if the gov would do something pro-active not reative then safer cleaner options would be available along with all the other products needed along side..

Yes by legalising more will use.. but those who suffer long term damage would decrease as the quality of the drug is better across the board....

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
As with all drugs , its up to the Govt imo to educate on the use of drugs Then everyone who decides to use them can make the choice based on information provided.

simply saying dont do drugs -you will suffer x y z isnt really good enough. Dosage, time on the drug , severity of the drug , is all relative,Its this information thats not provided and where the Govt falls down badly.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Not really surprising. and btw I love when they say steroids can cause mania:)

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
i dont think ive ever seen mania caused by steroids
this doesnt surprise me at all either really.
a lot of underground labs are pretty sketchy

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if i get a bottle of test e that sais 300mg/ml but has 350mg/ml im not gonna be sad. they should know this isnt news.

dpfisher

i dont think ive ever seen mania caused by steroids
this doesnt surprise me at all either really.
a lot of underground labs are pretty sketchy
I'm pretty sure I've seen a guy do the classic "roid rage" before... this huge dude leaving the gym was SCREAMING at some girl on the other end of the phone "YOU STUPID B**** I SAID DON'T LEAVE ME ANY MORE F******* MESSAGES I HAVE TO CALL THE NUMBER AND PUT IN A CODE AND F*** I HATE PUSHING ALL THOSE BUTTONS AND S***"

Yeah man I hate buttons too. What?

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure I've seen a guy do the classic "roid rage" before... this huge dude leaving the gym was SCREAMING at some girl on the other end of the phone "YOU STUPID B**** I SAID DON'T LEAVE ME ANY MORE F******* MESSAGES I HAVE TO CALL THE NUMBER AND PUT IN A CODE AND F*** I HATE PUSHING ALL THOSE BUTTONS AND S***"

Yeah man I hate buttons too. What?
:rofl: the hell was wrong with that guy
poor girl
im sure that guy is an A-hole without steroids.

dpfisher

Well I'm sure he is too but I can't imagine anyone being THAT bad normally...

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:rofl: the hell was wrong with that guy
poor girl
im sure that guy is an A-hole without steroids.
I've probably lost my temper like that before, im an as*hole without roids. but at home, never in public.

At work, when in a meeting with my manager, she was talking about peoples tempers, and she was putting a reason behind certain peoples temper. one lady was because she's a red head, mine was because it's "the bodybuilder in me" I think this was code for roid rage, because people think i use steroids, but no one has the balls to ask me about it, i just hear rumors floating around. lol

the funny thing is, my temper isn't bad when im on cycle, but it gets really short towards the end of pct/off cycle when test is back to normal.

but i've been working on it.

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
........bitch shouldna left him a ****ing message. Whats the problem?