Supps for addiction/withdrawals?

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Hi everyone,

As some background, I'm 37 (closing in on 38), father of one, and I've been on my own health and weightloss journey over the last year or so. I'm down ~20kgs (44/45lbs) and feeling much better about myself. My biggest challenge, however, is alcohol. I try to keep it exclusively to weekends, but my wife and I are big drinkers, and it's difficult to break the habit and not reach for a bottle late in the evening on weekdays. I find I go through cycles where I'm very strict and won't touch it, but then lapse and get into a bit more than I should.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced something similar and had success with any particular supplements that helped? Is there anything that can help from an 'addiction' POV, or perhaps provide that dopamine rush to stop you relying on more harmful outside sources?

Open to trying anything to see if it helps!

Cheers

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Hmm, I'd say agmatine, magnesium, GABA and L-theanine

Lemon balm would be good too
I've been taking GABA and Magnesium, but I'll have to look into L-theanine and agmatine.

Any sides associated with those?

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've been taking GABA and Magnesium, but I'll have to look into L-theanine and agmatine.

Any sides associated with those?
Agmatine will give you a good pump due to its nitric oxide boosting capabilities which could lower bp. But I haven’t noticed sides

L theanine can make you tired at times but lowers anxiety . I have not noticed any other sides

Vincefort

Vincefort

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I think NAC, Agmatine, magnesium, l-tyrosine and something like Uridine at night. I used to struggle with heavy addiction as well, supplements, training and 12 step program helped me to stay sober for over 2 years. I don't feel cravings anymore

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think NAC, Agmatine, magnesium, l-tyrosine and something like Uridine at night. I used to struggle with heavy addiction as well, supplements, training and 12 step program helped me to stay sober for over 2 years. I don't feel cravings anymore
Forgot to mention NAC

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Great work mate.

whats NAC?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great work mate.

whats NAC?
It stands for N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine. Cycle Support by CEL has NAC in it.

"N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) is an amino acid derivative that is not present in the diet and must be obtained through supplementation. It is more stable than regular L-Cysteine, and offers a variety of overall health benefits.

NAC exerts powerful antioxidant effects and serves to boost immune function and support optimal liver function by acting as a glutathione precursor."

Vincefort

Vincefort

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Great work mate.

whats NAC?
Moreover in some researches it was shown to decrease cravings and compulsive behaviour in addicts and those who suffer from OCD by regulating gluthatione levels, that responsible for these functions.
Actually it's a hit or miss: for some it works like a magic, some don't feel it.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Im an alcoholic as well and I’m going to be straight with you... ain’t no way to drink with moderation when you’re alcoholic. The only way is to completely stop and find something else that will make you enjoy life. (A reason to stop basically).Trust me I’ve tried everything on earth and nothing will give you the satisfaction alcohol does. 4 years later I’m still not fully fulfilled and happy and still wish I could drink but I can’t and I never will because I have a problem. Got to learn to live without it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Black seed oil and DLPA will help with mood and energy and the thymoquinone in BSO will help with anything related to analgesic recovery- it blunts some of the aches and pains. Magnesium helps for sleep and rest, especially if you deal with RLS. Of course, NAC and Tudca should be added in for liver and Dandelion is great for the kidneys.

I'd say watch your NAC intake though because for me, and a lot of others, can bring on anhedonia and makes things just blah.

Last edited:
Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I like bpc 157 for quitting alcohol. I guess it's an alcohol antagonist or something. I would rapidly get sober and i think it healed my liver. it gives pain releif too

I recommend injecting the day after your last drink. iirc injecting bpc the night of drinking results in a bad hangover. at the end of the night of drinking I inject glutathione to nullify the hangover

as for willpower and restraint, you usually can't rely on willpower for alcohol once you start drinking. you can try some timed lock boxes or doing drink prep with strict limits

Last edited:
chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Im an alcoholic as well and I’m going to be straight with you... ain’t no way to drink with moderation when you’re alcoholic. The only way is to completely stop and find something else that will make you enjoy life. (A reason to stop basically).Trust me I’ve tried everything on earth and nothing will give you the satisfaction alcohol does. 4 years later I’m still not fully fulfilled and happy and still wish I could drink but I can’t and I never will because I have a problem. Got to learn to live without it.
Yes, thank you. Believe it or not, I am completely aware of that and I agree with you.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic. I'm a heavy drinker, no doubt, but I can go without drinking, I can pour out an unfinished drink. I don't need the alcohol by any stretch. I can go out and not drink, and be the designated driver. If there's nothing at home, and I want one, I can wait until the next day to go buy something. For me, it's a boredom thing, especially in the evening. My wife on the other hand, is definitely a functioning.
My best mate has been sober 9 years and we've been trying to get her to admit her problem and do a 12 step program. It goes in cycles for her. It's almost ruined our marriage a couple of times. She also suffers anxiety quite badly, and often uses the alcohol to self-medicate. Worse yet, she'll continue to drink heavy even when taking her proper medication.
She will put unfinished drinks back in the fridge and sometimes wake up through the night to finish it; she hides bottles all over the house. I have to always be the driver, because she can't pass up the offer to have one if we're out. If her bottle is empty, she'll have to go out and buy more. She gets angry, aggressive, short-tempered etc. I won't go into everything that's happened in our house, but you would probably know better than most, it hasn't been pleasant. I've even caught her taking a shot from the bottle before we leave the house to calm her nerves. Now she disguises that as 'forgetting something' that she needs to go back in to get once we're all in the car and ready to leave. I know exactly what she's doing.
It's a constant issue in our home, to be honest. I went months without drinking because I didn't want it in the house for her sake; turned out she was hiding it and drinking in secret. At that point I thought '**** it', I may as well enjoy a few cold ones on the weekend with my old man, or while I'm watching my team play a game.
It doesn't help that she'll buy me a bottle of something when she buys her own. Perhaps to minimise the guilt? I don't know. But like I said, I'm a heavy drinker. So I get into this bad habit of having one after dinner, which turns into 3 or 4 while I lounge around and watch something on TV. It doesn't feel like much, it doesn't affect me in any way, but then all of a sudden, I'm back at 30 drinks a week (standard drinks is probably 40+). So, I know I need to cut it right out for my health. I'm hoping I can offer her something that we can do together. Anything that cuts down the desire to pour one. After that, I know it's a better routine and stonger habits to replace the existing ones. Easier said than done, of course, but I'm willing to try.

I'm looking for something we could both take; for me, it's a leg up to stay off it and be strict with my diet. For her, it's a bit more serious, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Maybe l-tyrosine, could help with dopamine issues.

Sculptor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you can get it where you live, look into ibudilast. I’ve used it and it completely eliminated any desire to drink when taking it. Lots of info out there about it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i went years struggling to get my head around never drinking again-fortunately back then the VA had a 6 month live-in alcohol/drug rehab clinic, my counselor was a old black guy who had spent a good portion of his life in prison-he called us white guys macaroni's. Willie would go on to play a vital role in my life since after finishing rehab he became my AA sponsor--Willie and i became very close and when he passed several years ago his family honored me with being a pall bearer at his funeral.

between Willie and GOD i learned to look at my drinking days as a dark place in my life i never wanted to return to-the cravings and urge to drink passed many years ago and now i have over 20 years of sobriety and haven't had urges or craving for alcohol in a very long time-praise GOD, i feel blessed.

GOD BLESS to you also!!!

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
weed is a good alcohol substitute if you can do it. there was a thread around here with lots of other alcohol alternatives

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agmatine is a great supplement and very underrated. Here on AM it tends to get looked at and discussed only for its nitric oxide and pump related benefits but has a wide variety of benefits (cardiovascular, nootropic, neuroprotective, etc.) and is great for withdrawals. And if I'm not mistaken, is still used clinically in some companies at higher doses for withdrawals.

NAC is good for detoxification and also liver support benefits, which of course can go great hand in hand for people with alcohol issues. We use NAC in our Liver Assist XT formula.

We offer Agmatine in capsule and powder form:

We offer NAC in our Liver Assist XT product:

gashimogo

gashimogo

Awards
Are you talking about alcohol withdrawal or something else? If the topic is alcoholic addiction, then I can be an expert here. I’ve been to alcohol rehab several times and learned something that has already helped me stay sober for a year. Yeah, it’s not much, but it means a lot for me as a person with compulsive addiction. Suppose you decide to stop drinking, then you should just stop. Lowering the dose did not work for me, and I just ended up in rehab again. If you want to give it up, then give it up right away and do not doubt it. Doubt always leads to another fall.

Last edited:
klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Kratom……. Try Meng Da Kratom in the am and some type of red veined Kratom in the evening….. start with 2-3 grams of powder mixed into a COLD and SWEET shake.

I have successfully gotten 2 friends thru addiction by using Kratom to manage their withdrawals….. One alcoholic and one heroin addict. Both living productive lives today.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am an alcoholic at 55 yrs of age. Alcoholics Anonomous is the answer. No supplements are gonna help you. You will make up for what you miss later. Don't fool yourself.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am an alcoholic at 55 yrs of age. Alcoholics Anonomous is the answer. No supplements are gonna help you. You will make up for what you miss later. Don't fool yourself.
I don't think that anyone was saying that supplements would or should take the place of an addictions treatment program; but there are many people that do find benefits from supplements while helping them through the recovery process.

There are also many people that find certain supplements, especially Agmatine, beneficial during the withdrawal process. It's not a miracle supplement (nothing is), but during what can be a very difficult and trying time, many people find that it really does help them. In quite a few countries, its used clinically for that purpose.

I'm glad to hear that in your case AA is helping you. There are a lot of great treatment programs out there for people that need them and different ones work better for different people so I always encourage people that if they don't feel comfortable in a particular one to find another one that is a better fit for them.

JD284

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Kratom……. Try Meng Da Kratom in the am and some type of red veined Kratom in the evening….. start with 2-3 grams of powder mixed into a COLD and SWEET shake.

I have successfully gotten 2 friends thru addiction by using Kratom to manage their withdrawals….. One alcoholic and one heroin addict. Both living productive lives today.
I was never an addict but can vouch for the power of kratom. It’s a calorie free mood and energy booster that won’t mess with your cycle either. 2-3 grams is perfect, with some calcium carbonate (tums). I usually throw it in with my preworkout

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I was never an addict but can vouch for the power of kratom. It’s a calorie free mood and energy booster that won’t mess with your cycle either. 2-3 grams is perfect, with some calcium carbonate (tums). I usually throw it in with my preworkout
I put 3 grams of Kratom in my breakfast shake and don't need any coffee anymore...... If I'm in pain from my nerve damage kratom works better than Percocet. It helps with my ADHD as well. It really is a wonder drug.

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Wow, Kratom sounds like it works for you guys really well. Can't say I've ever really heard of it before!

Plenty of good options in this thread. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Wow, Kratom sounds like it works for you guys really well. Can't say I've ever really heard of it before!

Plenty of good options in this thread. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input.
I know ppl love kratom but beware, kratom is also addictive. I use it from time to time and if I take too large of a dose I get sick. I also have a friend that used it to kick a problem with pills, but now he's addicted to the kratom.

While it can help make for a more functional lifestyle it's still a more functional addiction lifestyle.

I use kratom like a treat for special occasions, like 1-2 times per MONTH

Last edited:
chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
I know ppl love kratom but beware, kratom is also addictive. I use it from time to time and if I take too large of a dose I get sick. I also have a friend that used it to kick a problem with pills, but now he's addicted to the kratom.

While it can help make for a more functional lifestyle it's still a more functional addiction lifestyle.

I use kratom like a treat for special occasions, like 1-2 times per MONTH
doesnt sound like this would be good for my wife then

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Kratom brings on it's own devil, so don't think that you are getting any free ride. Many people have a very hard time coming off of kratom and they way that it works, it doesn't just affect a receptor, it affects multiple and also neurotransmitter balance which can take a very long time to recover from.

I have never been addicted or dependent on anything and what started as a casual couple times a week intake, turned into a multiple times a day habit- it is extremely common with kratom to chase because the feeling disapates and WD sets in fast- as in hours. Been completely off since last October and it took months to come back to normal. So while kratom WD might not be as severe as a true opioid, it can be brutal and actually last longer.

Two things I will say in it's benefit- it is VERY motivating and you will want to do things and never feel bored. Also (and this is good and bad), it is a powerful immunostimulant. It really helps for preventing illness and speeding up recovery, but at a cost- hair. Thinning and shedding hair is one of the most common complaints and I dealt with it as well. The nice thing is that many people have it come back after they stop. It's been 8 months and had to kick start mine, but it is back almost to where it was prior to starting.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Kratom brings on it's own devil, so don't think that you are getting any free ride. Many people have a very hard time coming off of kratom and they way that it works, it doesn't just affect a receptor, it affects multiple and also neurotransmitter balance which can take a very long time to recover from.

I have never been addicted or dependent on anything and what started as a casual couple times a week intake, turned into a multiple times a day habit- it is extremely common with kratom to chase because the feeling disapates and WD sets in fast- as in hours. Been completely off since last October and it took months to come back to normal. So while kratom WD might not be as severe as a true opioid, it can be brutal and actually last longer.
Yep, twice I dosed it too high and when I did it was like 4-6 hours later I felt sick both times and it lasted a few hours. My buddy uses it multiple times a day, daily.

I like to use it before I go to a movie or before I go play in a big poker cash game. Something where I wanna hit my high (and I don't mean drug high) but get my big dopamine hit from whatever I'm doing while being able to focus and I'm out. Around the 4-6 hour mark is also about how long I play cards so it fits.

I have probably used the stuff like 20 times idk I don't keep track. But it's literally 1 or 2 times per month. And I'm always a little nervous before I take it because there's a thin line for me between desired effects and feeling crappy on the way out

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, twice I dosed it too high and when I did it was like 4-6 hours later I felt sick both times and it lasted a few hours. My buddy uses it multiple times a day, daily.

I like to use it before I go to a movie or before I go play in a big poker cash game. Something where I wanna hit my high (and I don't mean drug high) but get my big dopamine hit from whatever I'm doing while being able to focus and I'm out. Around the 4-6 hour mark is also about how long I play cards so it fits.

I have probably used the stuff like 20 times idk I don't keep track. But it's literally 1 or 2 times per month. And I'm always a little nervous before I take it because there's a thin line for me between desired effects and feeling crappy on the way out
Awesome to find a way to manage it and probably good that you get a little nervous. The dopamine rush is unlike most other legal things you can take and it's what we all chase- other than trying to dampen the damn WD pains and yawns when it starts to be used too much.

JD284

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

yeah I went from a couple times a week/weekend only to daily use. It gives a great afternoon boost. Been using it daily for at least a month. Previously, when I used it for a week straight and stopped cold turkey I got what I call the “kratom cold”. So if I stop now I will have to taper off. I also just got my bloods and urinalysis for my upcoming physical and everything was in range for liver and kidney function, so there does not appear to be any strain to those organs with kratom use at least in my case. You can take an antacid like Tums with it and you won’t get the queasiness. But I agree, less is more. I have not ever used more than 3 g at a time. I’m not looking for the high dose effects, just mental stimulation

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
yeah I went from a couple times a week/weekend only to daily use. It gives a great afternoon boost. Been using it daily for at least a month. Previously, when I used it for a week straight and stopped cold turkey I got what I call the “kratom cold”. So if I stop now I will have to taper off. I also just got my bloods and urinalysis for my upcoming physical and everything was in range for liver and kidney function, so there does not appear to be any strain to those organs with kratom use at least in my case. You can take an antacid like Tums with it and you won’t get the queasiness. But I agree, less is more. I have not ever used more than 3 g at a time. I’m not looking for the high dose effects, just mental stimulation
The queazy or nausea I get will not be solved with a antiacid. It's basically a withdrawal type sickness that happens 4-6 hours after taking it. It's only when dose to high and it's not that same nausea your thinking of.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Awesome to find a way to manage it and probably good that you get a little nervous. The dopamine rush is unlike most other legal things you can take and it's what we all chase- other than trying to dampen the damn WD pains and yawns when it starts to be used too much.
The thing is, I'm not chasing a dopamine rush or chase with kratom at all. I'm playing cards to get that fix or something extreme. I'm a adrenaline rush chaser. The kratom "chase" or drug chase does not appeal to me. It's the calming effect I like from it.bso I can do something exciting while feeling calm. Its also why I don't buy kratom, don't use it regularly or anything like that. All the kratom I've ever used was given to me. I still have some from a sample that was sent to me 2 months ago. It's just not my cup of tea, I just try to find ways to use it that I think will be productive. It's hard to explain. I was a big drinker, but I've never had any kind of drug addiction, can try things and never take them again. Dosent really matter what it is, except booze. That's my demon

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards

Two things I will say in it's benefit- it is VERY motivating and you will want to do things and never feel bored. Also (and this is good and bad), it is a powerful immunostimulant. It really helps for preventing illness and speeding up recovery, but at a cost- hair. Thinning and shedding hair is one of the most common complaints and I dealt with it as well. The nice thing is that many people have it come back after they stop. It's been 8 months and had to kick start mine, but it is back almost to where it was prior to starting.
We’ll, the hair loss isn’t an issue for me, I’ve been shaving my head clean for 10+ years now. I actually have started having laser treatments to slow down the regrowth and minimise the amount of shaving I have to do! lol

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don't think that anyone was saying that supplements would or should take the place of an addictions treatment program; but there are many people that do find benefits from supplements while helping them through the recovery process.

There are also many people that find certain supplements, especially Agmatine, beneficial during the withdrawal process. It's not a miracle supplement (nothing is), but during what can be a very difficult and trying time, many people find that it really does help them. In quite a few countries, its used clinically for that purpose.

I'm glad to hear that in your case AA is helping you. There are a lot of great treatment programs out there for people that need them and different ones work better for different people so I always encourage people that if they don't feel comfortable in a particular one to find another one that is a better fit for them.
Withdrawing from alcohol many times a week is a suffering life. I know. This guy is clearly not in recovery. Just cause Agmatine or other supps can “help” with withdrawal symptoms is
missing the point of what OP stated his life is like imo. We would hope it’s his last withdrawal that he is seeking supplemental help with, but without a real solid solution to replace the alcohol, it’s clearly not. God bless.

Last edited:

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Withdrawing from alcohol many times a week is a suffering life bro. I know. This guy is clearly not in recovery. Just cause Agmatine or other supps can “help” with withdrawal symptoms is
missing the point of what OP stated his life is like imo. We would hope it’s his last withdrawal that he is seeking supplemental help with, but without a real solid solution to replace the alcohol, it’s clearly not. God bless.
This 100%!!! Another substance may help with the withdrawal but it is not the solution. Without a program in place for the future you will merely be “dry” at best, if you are truly addicted. I too know and have tried everything to help when in reality the real solution was working on myself. But, only you can decide that.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Withdrawing from alcohol many times a week is a suffering life. I know. This guy is clearly not in recovery. Just cause Agmatine or other supps can “help” with withdrawal symptoms is
I think that maybe you are misinterpreting either mine and/or the original poster's posts.
I know the poster and have interacted with him quite a bit in multiple threads so my response is catered to him & his exact question(s).

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying but what you're saying isn't exactly applicable to his post.

He specifically asked for supplement suggestions and you mentioned in the above post that 'he is clearly not in recovery' but he never said that he was. Your posts are well-intentioned and good advice for someone that is in recovery or looking to completely quit drinking; that just wasn't the case presented in the original post. I just wanted to clarify so you'd know I wasn't disagreeing with you, we're just kind of replying to two separate circumstances if that makes sense.

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Just to be clear, I only drink on weekends and I've been limiting those sessions (for the most part) to less than 6 drinks (usually 2-3). Have been doing this for several months now. I am by no means addicted to alcohol, but as an Australian, it's in my nature to love sinking a few lol

Thanks to everyone for their good intentions and positive messages, though. The thought behind them all is very much appreciated.