Supply Chain Update -- Not looking good.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i had to think twice before picking up the eggs the other day .. getting ridiculous

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i had to think twice before picking up the eggs the other day .. getting ridiculous
I cut down from using 4 egg whites and 2 whole for my egg omelets down to just 2 whole eggs
cause prices are CRAZY for eggs in NY. They were $5 a dozen a few weeks ago but I didn't buy
them and Aldi's seems to have them at the lowest price $2.39 but that's up from 99 cents a dozen.

faipdeooiad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
one of the few things we’ve been ok with is eggs. There was a government directive a couple of months ago due to bird flu where farmers were instructed to keep all hens indoors for the duration. I think they’re allowed back outdoors now and so can be classed as free range again but it’s still £1 for 6 free range eggs which is about right.

though knowing my luck, being the first time since Feb 2021 I can even be in the same room as eggs being cooked (thanks long covid), that they’ll start sky rocketing now.

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Done on purpose by these CCP puppet, globalist traitors, with Pervy-Joe the pant-Shitter at the helm.
All you retard libz who were hurt by mean-Tweets, you own this ****. I hope youre enjoying paying 5x for things.

Retardz...

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Done on purpose by these CCP puppet, globalist traitors, with Pervy-Joe the pant-Shitter at the helm.
All you retard libz who were hurt by mean-Tweets, you own this ****. I hope youre enjoying paying 5x for things.

Retardz...
Don’t turn this thread into the countless others derailed by political opinions. People come here for fitness and supplement advice, not rants about the government. There’s a subforum for that

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don’t turn this thread into the countless others derailed by political opinions. People come here for fitness and supplement advice, not rants about the government. There’s a subforum for that
Seriously….

I’m enjoying the industry perspective without it being political. At least I was enjoying it

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just bought optimum nutrition creatine 600 grams for 40 bucks on Amazon. I didn't have much choice. In terms of food, I try to keep the grocery bill to $250 every two weeks. Buying only items on sale and loading up on canned food. Meat is a rarity in terms of sales but plenty of sausages/hotdogs are on sale so that's what I get. Pasta and grain in general is never on sale so have to buy sparingly.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just bought optimum nutrition creatine 600 grams for 40 bucks on Amazon. I didn't have much choice. In terms of food, I try to keep the grocery bill to $250 every two weeks. Buying only items on sale and loading up on canned food. Meat is a rarity in terms of sales but plenty of sausages/hotdogs are on sale so that's what I get. Pasta and grain in general is never on sale so have to buy sparingly.
$250 every two weeks is pretty good. I've been doing about $150 per week but that also includes some toiletry items to. Main cost if all the chicken breasts for me :LOL:

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
$250 every two weeks is pretty good. I've been doing about $150 per week but that also includes some toiletry items to. Main cost if all the chicken breasts for me :LOL:
Oh yeah, the toiletries are extra. $250 is just food/drink items :giggle:

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah, the toiletries are extra. $250 is just food/drink items :giggle:
Nice. So we're probably about the same spend at the grocery if I take away toiletry. About $125 per week. I'd say that's average if you don't have kids. With kids I'm sure it 1.5x - 2x the grocery bill.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice. So we're probably about the same spend at the grocery if I take away toiletry. About $125 per week. I'd say that's average if you don't have kids. With kids I'm sure it 1.5x - 2x the grocery bill.
Oh, I have a three-year-old. A lot of food items are for her! 🍎🍌🍓 It's just that I try to buy things that are on sale or have a coupon. In the past I used to buy a lot of fruits and veggies from big grocery stores but now that the prices have shot up, I go to the smaller neighborhood stores where you get better deals.

Potbelly

Potbelly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh, I have a three-year-old. A lot of food items are for her! 🍎🍌🍓 It's just that I try to buy things that are on sale or have a coupon. In the past I used to buy a lot of fruits and veggies from big grocery stores but now that the prices have shot up, I go to the smaller neighborhood stores where you get better deals.
How would it be cheaper than going to wal mart?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How would it be cheaper than going to wal mart?
I'm in NYC so I don't have access to Walmart. I have Stop and Shop though. I guess an example would be apples. A 3 lbs of red apples at Stop and Shop is roughly $6. But if I go to the local neighborhood grocery store, I can get red apples for $0.99 a pound. Another example is a 12oz packet of blueberries is $4.99 at Stop and Shop. I can get the same thing for $1.99 at the local neighborhood grocery store. The only problem is that the cheaper fruits and veggies tend to get spoiled faster than the Stop and Shop groceries.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure i this was posted yet, BUCKLE UP

$12.00 per dozen by fall, yup $1.00 and egg.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/stacey-lennox/2022/06/01/usda-forecast-predicts-highest-food-inflation-since-1980-get-ready-for-1-per-egg-n1602498

Unlikely year for egg production facilities which are having disease outbreaks or mysterious fires............................

EGG PRODUCTION & POULTRY PRICE DRIVERS: Bird Flu, pests, and fires. Here is a list of poultry flock & egg production facilities destruction since March 2022:

25 3/4/22 294,800 chickens destroyed at farm in Stoddard, Missouri
26 3/4/22 644,000 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, Maryland
27 3/8/22 243,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in New Castle, Delaware
28 3/10/22 663,400 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, Maryland
29 3/10/22 915,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Taylor, Iowa
31 3/14/22 2,750,700 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Jefferson, Wisconsin
34 3/17/22 5,347,500 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Buena Vista, Iowa
35 3/17/22 147,600 chickens destroyed at farm in Kent, Delaware
36 3/18/22 315,400 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, Maryland
38 3/22/22 172,000 Turkeys destroyed on farms in South Dakota
39 3/22/22 570,000 chickens destroyed at farm in Butler, Nebraska
41 3/24/22 418,500 chickens destroyed at farm in Butler, Nebraska
42 3/25/22 250,300 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Franklin, Iowa
43 3/26/22 311,000 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
44 3/27/22 126,300 Turkeys destroyed in South Dakota
45 3/28/22 1,460,000 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Guthrie, Iowa
48 3/31/22 76,400 Turkeys destroyed in Osceola, Iowa
49 3/31/22 5,011,700 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Osceola, Iowa
50 4/6/22 281,600 chickens destroyed at farm in Wayne, North Carolina
51 4/9/22 76,400 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
52 4/9/22 208,900 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
58 4/13/22 77,000 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
53 4/12/22 89,700 chickens destroyed at farm in Wayne, North Carolina
54 4/12/22 1,746,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Dixon, Nebraska
55 4/12/22 259,000 chickens destroyed at farm in Minnesota
61 4/14/22 99,600 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
62 4/15/22 1,380,500 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Lancaster, Minnesota
64 4/19/22 339,000 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
65 4/19/22 58,000 chickens destroyed at farm in Montrose, Colorado
66 4/20/22 2,000,000 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Minnesota
68 4/22/22 197,000 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
69 4/23/22 200,000 Turkeys destroyed in Minnesota
70 4/25/22 1,501,200 chickens destroyed at egg farm Cache, Utah
71 4/26/22 307,400 chickens destroyed at farm Lancaster Pennsylvania
72 4/27/22 2,118,000 chickens destroyed at farm Knox, Nebraska
73 4/28/22 Egg-laying facility in Iowa kills 5.3 million chickens, fires 200-plus workers
74 4/28/22 Allen Harim Foods a chicken processing company based in Delaware killed nearly 2 million chickens
75 4/2822 110,700 Turkeys destroyed Barron Wisconsin
76 4/29/22 1,366,200 chickens destroyed at farm Weld Colorado
77 4/30/22 13,800 chickens destroyed at farm Sequoia Oklahoma
78 5/3/22 58,000 Turkeys destroyed Barron Wisconsin
79 5/3/22 118,900 Turkeys destroyed Beadle S Dakota
80 5/3/22 114,000 ducks destroyed at Duck farm Berks Pennsylvania
81 5/3/22 118,900 Turkeys destroyed Lyon Minnesota
82 5/7/22 20,100 Turkeys destroyed Barron Wisconsin
83 5/10/22 72,300 chickens destroyed at farm Lancaster Pennsylvania
84 5/10/22 61,000 ducks destroyed at Duck farm Berks Pennsylvania
85 5/10/22 35,100 Turkeys destroyed Muskegon, Michigan
86 5/13/22 10,500 Turkeys destroyed Barron Wisc
87 5/14/22 83,400 ducks destroyed at Duck farm Berks Pennsylvania
88 5/17/22 79,00 chickens destroyed at Duck farm Berks Pennsylvania
89 5/18/22 7,200 ducks destroyed at Duck farm Berks Pennsylvania
91 5/21/22 57,000 Turkeys destroyed on farm in Dakota Minnesota
92 5/23/22 4,000 ducks destroyed at Duck farm Berks Pennsylvania
93 5/29/22 200,000 Chickens killed in fire in Minnesota
94 5/31/22 3,000,000 chickens chickens destroyed at Forsman egg farm facility in Stockholm Township, Minnesota
95 6/2/22 30,000 ducks destroyed at Duck farm Berks Pennsylvania
****EXCERPTED FROM A LIST OF 96 FOOD PRODUCTION/STORAGE FACILITIES WHICH HAVE BEEN DESTROYED DAMAGED OR IMPACTED BY "ACCIDENTAL FIRES" OR DISEASE OR GENERAL CAUSES.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm in NYC so I don't have access to Walmart. I have Stop and Shop though. I guess an example would be apples. A 3 lbs of red apples at Stop and Shop is roughly $6. But if I go to the local neighborhood grocery store, I can get red apples for $0.99 a pound. Another example is a 12oz packet of blueberries is $4.99 at Stop and Shop. I can get the same thing for $1.99 at the local neighborhood grocery store. The only problem is that the cheaper fruits and veggies tend to get spoiled faster than the Stop and Shop groceries.
I'm in Queens NY and Aldi's and Lidl's are the places to shop for your groceries and meat.
Their prices are so much lower that any of the other supermarkets and when it comes to
fresh vegetables I have a big fruit and veg store that sells produce much lower that supermarkets
and I honestly have no issues with it going bad as long as I consume it that week and picking it
right will also keep you from getting fruit and veg from spoiling quickly.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I forgot to mention I go to Costco once a month to stock up on some items as well so I'm probably more around the 150 to 175 per week range if I include my monthly Costco run divided by four weeks. I agree though prices have gone up on a lot of stuff.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Protein will be going up again across the board on all brands. Even if a slight increase. This is due to the scarcity of sunflower lecithin due to the Ukraine war. I already saw the new $ numbers last night. What a sh*t show.

I can buy a 5000 Sq foot house on the beach for the same price as a 53 foot truck size order of whey protein isolate

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Protein will be going up again across the board on all brands. Even if a slight increase. This is due to the scarcity of sunflower lecithin due to the Ukraine war. I already saw the new $ numbers last night. What a sh*t show.

I can buy a 5000 Sq foot house on the beach for the same price as a 53 foot truck size order of whey protein isolate
Well, at $0.75 a can, I guess I'll have to eat garbanzo beans post-workout.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Assuming that other protein sources, pea protein, soy, brown rice, etc. havent spiked nearly as much? Do we think we'll see more combo source proteins hit the market to keep costs down. Prob won't translate to savings for the consumer, but you know...

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
can't you use other lecithin than sunflower to instsntize protein? soy?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You can but @DieselNY doesn't like to use soy in his products if he can avoid it. And a lot of customers, especially in certain customer base demographics want completely soy free products.

Also, the shortage of sunflower lecithin has driven the price up on soy lecithin and may wind up creating a shortage on that as well.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes but as @sns8778 said I try not to use it but I have ZERO issue with it. Infact we used soy lecithin for 2 years before switching to sunflower lecithin.

The main benefut of sunflower lecithin getting the opportunity to say "no soy" on the label.

It's actually very silly.

For those 2 years we had all walks of life use it with ZERO ISSUES but it's like "organic" and "grass fed" and "non gmo" these phrases sell even though I personally think it's silly and offer no benefit one vs the other.

Really, the only potential concern with soy lecithin is allergy.

Soy protein is a common allergen, commercial soy lecithin contains very little residual protein: a mere 100–1,400 parts per million (according to the European Lecithin Manufacturers Association, de-oiled soya lecithin is just 0.000065–0.00048% protein). Tested against the immune cells of adults with a soy allergy, soy lecithin caused **little to no reaction.**

A common question about soy lecithin is whether or not it contains soy. And the answer is that soy lecithin is indeed a byproduct from soy, as it’s extracted directly from soybeans. *However*, soy lecithin only contains trace levels of soy proteins.

Researchers believe that soy lecithin will not provoke allergic reactions in the majority of soy-allergic consumers because it does not contain sufficient soy protein residues.

The soybean allergens are found in the protein fraction, which is almost entirely removed in the soy lecithin manufacturing process.

According to the Institute of Agriculture and National Resources, “many allergists do not even advise their soybean-allergic patients to avoid soybean lecithin when it is included as an ingredient on food products.”

Soy also won't affect your estrogen.

Phytoestrogens are plant molecules and do not meaningfully attach to human (animal) receptors. This is basic.

You know what has a lot of actual mammal estrogen because it came from a lactating pregnant mammal? Cow milk. No better source. Demonstrated to cause early onset menstruation and breast development in girls and boys, and precocious puberty.

Don't get me wrong there may ne a tiny % of the population hat are hyper super sensitive so soy anything and it's no laughing matter but I've yet to see it.

But yeah if it wasn't such a hot topic I'd use soy without question in my products. I use it myself in gelcap form.. It's good for cholesterol levels.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Assuming that other protein sources, pea protein, soy, brown rice, etc. havent spiked nearly as much? Do we think we'll see more combo source proteins hit the market to keep costs down. Prob won't translate to savings for the consumer, but you know...
They held steady for a while but plant proteins are up around 40% my cost.

It all goes up ...when people move from high priced whey to plant the plant goes up. It's inevitable. At one point in 2020, WPC was more expensive than WPI which is nuts.

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have not seen the price of protein bars going up as much. Wonder how many substitutions are going on behind the scenes there.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have not seen the price of protein bars going up as much. Wonder how many substitutions are going on behind the scenes there.
I don't think that there's anything shady going on with those. When you think about it, there's probably 20 grams per bar on average and the protein bar manufacturers have huge buying power. I think it if continues you likely will see some increases in them though.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't think that there's anything shady going on with those. When you think about it, there's probably 20 grams per bar on average and the protein bar manufacturers have huge buying power. I think it if continues you likely will see some increases in them though.

Last update I received from Muscle Foods had many well-known bars increasing, unfortunately. As a whole I think the bar industry has "held the line" by simply making bars have less total grams of protein. I remember when anything under 30g was considered a joke. Now the high end is like 20. Universal's Hi-Protein was one of the last 30g bars and they are not making any more per my last conversation with our rep.

I know people would simply not buy a $6.00 bar but I do miss the 40-50g/per bar from early 2000's. Yes I can double up but then I'm getting way more of the junk I don't want fat wise.

Side RANT: If a companies bar has more fat grams than protein and more carbs than protein its NOT A FUCKING PROTEIN BAR. It's a "nutrition bar" at best. Rant over.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Side RANT: If a companies bar has more fat grams than protein and more carbs than protein its NOT A FUCKING PROTEIN BAR. It's a "nutrition bar" at best. Rant over.
Rant accepted! I definitely agree with this statement! This needs to be a disclaimer to all :)

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Last update I received from Muscle Foods had many well-known bars increasing, unfortunately. As a whole I think the bar industry has "held the line" by simply making bars have less total grams of protein. I remember when anything under 30g was considered a joke. Now the high end is like 20. Universal's Hi-Protein was one of the last 30g bars and they are not making any more per my last conversation with our rep.

I know people would simply not buy a $6.00 bar but I do miss the 40-50g/per bar from early 2000's. Yes I can double up but then I'm getting way more of the junk I don't want fat wise.

Speaking of which, you can get Datrex Emergency Food ration bars for $12 for 12. Each bar is 200 calories. I guess there are other options too as a cheaper protein bar substitute or indeed as an MRP.

Last edited:

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I used to like Universal Hi-Protein bars a lot. But after a vacation without them, I came back and felt like all I could taste was sugar alcohol and mushy “gelatinized/hydrolyzed ” protein. No texture or anything.

Met-Rx and Detour still Make solid 30g bars with competitive prices, particularly if you subscribe. These have crept slightly over $2 a bar but it’s a better deal than $1.99 for an 18-20g bar.

Quest bars at target $1.66 a piece after red card discount. Which is within the range I’ve always paid.

Costco brand up to $1 a piece from 0.89 and only two flavors but a solid value as well

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I used to like Universal Hi-Protein bars a lot. But after a vacation without them, I came back and felt like all I could taste was sugar alcohol and mushy “gelatinized/hydrolyzed ” protein. No texture or anything.

Met-Rx and Detour still Make solid 30g bars with competitive prices, particularly if you subscribe. These have crept slightly over $2 a bar but it’s a better deal than $1.99 for an 18-20g bar.

Quest bars at target $1.66 a piece after red card discount. Which is within the range I’ve always paid.

Costco brand up to $1 a piece from 0.89 and only two flavors but a solid value as well
My sister goes to Costco I may have to have her grab me some.

it seems like every supplement or fitness “thing” these days is “$1/day!”

well now that everything is an affordable $1/day, we’re spending $20/a day on body building stuff. Lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Speaking of which, you can get Datrex Emergency Food ration bars for $12 for 12. Each bar is 200 calories. I guess there are other options too as a cheaper protein bar substitute or indeed as an MRP.
So $12 for 2,400 calories and only 84 grams of protein…and I have to put down 12 bars to get that in.

That’s neither calorically dense enough if bulking hard nor a good value on protein per dollar, to say nothing of the ingredient sources (flour, barley, palm oil, cane sugar, water, flavoring).

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

This was what my guy at Universal basically said, they are "old school" in their style with these bars and the machines Universal owns that makes them are not able to make the fancy candy bar with protein most consumers expect these days.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So $12 for 2,400 calories and only 84 grams of protein…and I have to put down 12 bars to get that in.

That’s neither calorically dense enough if bulking hard nor a good value on protein per dollar, to say nothing of the ingredient sources (flour, barley, palm oil, cane sugar, water, flavoring).
I guess. Well you know what they say during supply crisis...as private parts to the Gods are we, they play with us for their sport.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I guess. Well you know what they say during supply crisis...as private parts to the Gods are we, they play with us for their sport.
I mean there’s a slew of affordable, delicious 10g of protein per bar granola bar options at any given grocery store.

$21.xx for 24 cliffbars at Sam’s Club, 250/260 calories, 9-11g protein/bar. That’s almost 50% more protein in this bulking scenario.

faipdeooiad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much are you guys paying for an RTD? The prices here are starting to creep up on my favourite one at the moment from £1 ($1.20) to £1.25 ($1.45) for a 25g protein RTD.

as with everything, even non-imported goods are starting to increase, milk especially. Eggs are one of the few items holding steady at the moment and haven’t seen a price rise. It’s just a pity I can’t eat them!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How much are you guys paying for an RTD? The prices here are starting to creep up on my favourite one at the moment from £1 ($1.20) to £1.25 ($1.45) for a 25g protein RTD.

as with everything, even non-imported goods are starting to increase, milk especially. Eggs are one of the few items holding steady at the moment and haven’t seen a price rise. It’s just a pity I can’t eat them!
Most quality ones I’ve seen on average are like $3 per bottle.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My wholesale cost on Isopure 40g glass bottles was $3.56/bottle. We have not needed to re-order in over 4 months so it may have gone up since then.