Unanswered Supplements that thin out blood.

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
I have never really been concerned about this until now but I used to drink ginger tea, turmeric tea, eat a lot of garlic cloves, and take omega 3s all in one day. Than I realized that taking too many supplements that thin out blood can be a bad thing. Is there like a rule of thumb to how many of these herbs we can take daily that thin blood, but not to an unsafe extent? Maybe I'm being dramatic. I don't take any pharma blood thinners, nor have bleeding disorders.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think a good rule of thumb, from a practical standpoint, is if you have decent BP readings and CBC numbers, you are probably ok. And just dont go megadosing stuff (like, 6000iu nattokinase plus 10gms fishoil plus aspirin etc).

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd agree with the above and wouldn't worry too much on this. If you're numbers are looking solid and you feel fine then I wouldn't sweat it.

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
I think a good rule of thumb, from a practical standpoint, is if you have decent BP readings and CBC numbers, you are probably ok. And just dont go megadosing stuff (like, 6000iu nattokinase plus 10gms fishoil plus aspirin etc).
Thank you all for the replies. BP is always in check, but what is CBC? Also if I were to take something like ginger tea and turmeric, garlic, omega 3s and some like celery seed extract all in one day but spaced out throughout the day, do you think I'll be fine? All these supplements will be dosed at recommended values no mega dosing.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thank you all for the replies. BP is always in check, but what is CBC? Also if I were to take something like ginger tea and turmeric, garlic, omega 3s and some like celery seed extract all in one day but spaced out throughout the day, do you think I'll be fine? All these supplements will be dosed at recommended values no mega dosing.
My informal, non-physician opinion is that youll be fine. Id justify this opinion by saying none of the supps you listed will tend to have Rx-potency thinning properties at "normal" doses. Again, Id be a little more careful if using supps whose main MoA is blood thinning, such as taking nattokinase with aspirin on a regular basis for example.

You seem like a cautious guy anyway so it seems redundant for me to further qualify this by recommending you be cognisant of whatever you take and monitor your reactions.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Like said above I would just monitor it and you should be fine. If something is off after taking for awhile then reduce dosages or stop taking one of them to see if sides stop.

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Could I supplement with vitamin k to aid in natural clotting factors so I could take my supps with more peace of mind?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Could I supplement with vitamin k to aid in natural clotting factors so I could take my supps with more peace of mind?
If you supplement with vit d3 you should be supplementing with vit k anyway (k2 mk7 particularly).

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why is that?
Crudely...vit d3 is involved in calcium depositation through the body...vit k2 potentially promotes this depositing at the places you want it (bones) and not the places you dont (arteries).

There are only a few limited studies demonstrating the actual real world benefits of combining the two, but there are at least 2 studies being started specifically looking at combining them. The science of it looks promising, and the question is not so much *do* they work synergistically together, but how much. Really the benefits of both individually make taking them together a win-win either way.

Delboss731

Awards
  • Established
Crudely...vit d3 is involved in calcium depositation through the body...vit k2 potentially promotes this depositing at the places you want it (bones) and not the places you dont (arteries).

There are only a few limited studies demonstrating the actual real world benefits of combining the two, but there are at least 2 studies being started specifically looking at combining them. The science of it looks promising, and the question is not so much *do* they work synergistically together, but how much. Really the benefits of both individually make taking them together a win-win either way.
Thank you so much man you've been very helpful!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nattokinase
He is concerned about the idea that he is taking too many supplements that already thin blood, not looking for more supplements to thin blood - but if he were this answer would be the best.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer