Supplements For Hypoglycemia?

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know of a supplement that can help treat hypoglycemia?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im having some hypo symptoms recently and just started the research...in to hear what ppl have to say

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
I tried. It gets worse at night. I become pale. Cold. Cant get enough water. My heart palpitations are insane. It's very strange. Even talked to my doctor and he told me it was all the supplements. But I would like a supplement to counter act the problem.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tried. It gets worse at night. I become pale. Cold. Cant get enough water. My heart palpitations are insane. It's very strange. Even talked to my doctor and he told me it was all the supplements. But I would like a supplement to counter act the problem.
What supplements are you taking? If you are using basic OTC supplements then your issue is not likely supplementation. Now if you're messing around with pharma drugs...

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
A supplement to mask the ill effects of the other supplements you are taking might not be the most logical course of action.
What are you taking now

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
Natrual sterol complex is what I have been consuming I already was talking on another thread about it and no one has had this issue before. So im thinking that I could be having a reaction to one of the ingredients.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone know of a supplement that can help treat hypoglycemia?
Is it reactive hypoglycemia?

When does it usually occur

Give me a run down of day, when it happens, what your doing when it happens, and what you last meal was, along with your symptoms when you feel it occur

What is your Body fat? Any blood work?

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established

Give me a run down of day, when it happens, what your doing when it happens, and what you last meal was, along with your symptoms when you feel it occur

No, definitely not reactive hypoglycemia. It starts about a hour after I take a supplement called Natrual sterol complex. Im working out after I take it (good results) and about a hour in I feel super cold. My mind becomes super foggy and im not able to think like myself. when I go to sleep (or try) I keep gasping for air. My heart seems to be beating fine except for a few palpations. And my muscles were shaking along with no visible signs of my veins I ALWAYS see my veins but not when this occurs im approximately 12% bodyfat. Also the next day im super exhausted and fatigued. Sometimes I start to see stars. And my heart palpitations increase. 3rd day. I feel perfect. (The 2nd and 3rd day I didn't take the supplements)

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established

Sorry forgot to include the meal. It is 10 oz. of white rice and a half pound of salmon.

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established

Blood work is 100% fine

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
To confirm, you take supplement, workout. After an hour or so you start feeling hypo?
Are you consuming carbs during workout?
That is correct, and no I do not consume any carbs during. Is it a good idea to do so? Should it prevent the hypoglycemia?

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is correct, and no I do not consume any carbs during. Is it a good idea to do so? Should it prevent the hypoglycemia?
When you work out your body is depleting your glycogen for energy. I would definitely consume carbs pre workout and during to see if that helps. I always consume them post workout to re feed them as well.

Why this Natural sterol complex is causing this I have no idea. Perhaps there is some kind of GDA in it.

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
When you work out your body is depleting your glycogen for energy. I would definitely consume carbs pre workout and during to see if that helps. I always consume them post workout to re feed them as well.

Why this Natural sterol complex is causing this I have no idea. Perhaps there is some kind of GDA in it.
Thanks. I keep looking into the ingredients. I see nothing that raises a red flag yet.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is your diet like? How long before your workout is your last meal? What is your meal schedule and what does each meal consist of?

Also, have you tried taking some salt and potassium when this happens?

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
What is your diet like? How long before your workout is your last meal? What is your meal schedule and what does each meal consist of?

Also, have you tried taking some salt and potassium when this happens?
Im eating very clean. Salmon, rice, chicken, some bread. My last meal before my workout is usually 30-45 minutes. Breakfast: 10 eggs. 7 oz. of oatmeal. 8 oz. of brown rice. And 30 oz of water. Lunch: a half pound if salmon with celery and about 8-10 oz of white rice. Dinner: Half pound of salmon. 8 oz of white and brown rice. 2 ripe tomatoes. A spoon of olive oil. And 2 full cloves of garlic. Now I do eat after these main meals mostly with rice cakes or sliced chicken. And no I haven't tried salt or potassium. I understand the benefits of the salt but why potassium?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Your using test strips to confirm?

And the best supplement would be Coca Cola
I use orange juice, or just chew a glucose tab. that is what my doc told me to do....

kl1234

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
After a carb meal? Sure your not going HYPER? Symptoms are sometimes similar. Try changing carb source- and see if symptoms go away.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Im eating very clean. Salmon, rice, chicken, some bread. My last meal before my workout is usually 30-45 minutes. Breakfast: 10 eggs. 7 oz. of oatmeal. 8 oz. of brown rice. And 30 oz of water. Lunch: a half pound if salmon with celery and about 8-10 oz of white rice. Dinner: Half pound of salmon. 8 oz of white and brown rice. 2 ripe tomatoes. A spoon of olive oil. And 2 full cloves of garlic. Now I do eat after these main meals mostly with rice cakes or sliced chicken. And no I haven't tried salt or potassium. I understand the benefits of the salt but why potassium?
Sodium and potassium are the two big electrolytes...their electrical charges are responsible for muscle (including heart) contractions.

I don't see a lot of sources of potassium in that diet, nor salt unless you are adding it. The balance of these two electrolytes is crucial to proper function, our bodies carefully regulate the levels of water, potassium and sodium. For instance, too much salt triggers thirst which is ultimately your body trying to dilute your blood sodium levels. It's actually very complex but that is it in a nutshell.

Muscle weakness, fatigue, mental disturbances, etc. Can all be symptoms of dehydration or electrolyte imbalances. It could give symptoms similar to what you describe...low blood pressure, dizziness, etc.

Not saying this is definitely the case or not. It would be good to test your blood glucose with a meter and be sure you are going hypo. If so, following others suggestions of simply having some carbs around your workout may be all you need.

For electrolytes, it isn't just a more is better thing. Maybe add some reasonable amount of salt to your food, eat broccoli, spinach, bananas, etc. And also make sure you drink plenty of water...from the looks of it you should probably be drinking close to 2 gallons a day at least.

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
Sodium and potassium are the two big electrolytes...their electrical charges are responsible for muscle (including heart) contractions.

I don't see a lot of sources of potassium in that diet, nor salt unless you are adding it. The balance of these two electrolytes is crucial to proper function, our bodies carefully regulate the levels of water, potassium and sodium. For instance, too much salt triggers thirst which is ultimately your body trying to dilute your blood sodium levels. It's actually very complex but that is it in a nutshell.

Muscle weakness, fatigue, mental disturbances, etc. Can all be symptoms of dehydration or electrolyte imbalances. It could give symptoms similar to what you describe...low blood pressure, dizziness, etc.

Not saying this is definitely the case or not. It would be good to test your blood glucose with a meter and be sure you are going hypo. If so, following others suggestions of simply having some carbs around your workout may be all you need.

For electrolytes, it isn't just a more is better thing. Maybe add some reasonable amount of salt to your food, eat broccoli, spinach, bananas, etc. And also make sure you drink plenty of water...from the looks of it you should probably be drinking close to 2 gallons a day at least.
DUDE thank you so much!! I will so get on this asap. You saved me here and explained everything very clearly :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DUDE thank you so much!! I will so get on this asap. You saved me here and explained everything very clearly :)
Don't know if I saved you. It may not be the issue, but something to look at. But it would be a good idea to get a glucose meter and test and also take your blood pressure when you see signs. This would confirm if your blood sugar actually low or not.

There is also the obvious thought that it may be good to stop taking the steel complex and see if anything changes....

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
Don't know if I saved you. It may not be the issue, but something to look at. But it would be a good idea to get a glucose meter and test and also take your blood pressure when you see signs. This would confirm if your blood sugar actually low or not.

There is also the obvious thought that it may be good to stop taking the steel complex and see if anything changes....
I actually have done exactly that before and it seems to be the supplement. I plan on going to get a glucose meter asap. :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I actually have done exactly that before and it seems to be the supplement. I plan on going to get a glucose meter asap. :)
Good deal. Not sure if a supplement us going to provide enough positive benefit to warrant those negatives if you discover it is making you go hypo.. just my opinion though. I have never used it before.